On a scale of 1 to 5  

84 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

Great review! It is indeed a pricy set, but at least you get special printed pieces. So overall it may well be worth it. As a sidenote: I think the US-price is really ok - the euro price (some 17 euros or 22 dollars) is far too high, so I'll probably skip this one.

Hurrah, a globe! I have wanted one for a very long time. Thanks for the review, this is the one set I know I am going to get. The part and colour selection is most desirable.

The sword holder is also rather cool, I hope there are a few more sets I can splash out on with a few more of those parts in.

This looks great, i hope it's around the same price as the PoP Desert Ambush set here in Aus - it's one of the few sets i won't be buying online.

Interesting....I was kind of expecting more out of this set, but seeing as how I need undead right now, this set will probably be at the top of my to-buy list. :pir-sceptic:

Thanks for the feedback all. It is a neat little set.

Are the bottles solid plastic or not? What is actually inside?

They are hollow. The picture of the ship is outside.

13.jpg

Ah, excellent! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot, TheBrickster! This means that a certain customizer ( :blush: ) can actually make some interesting things with those bottles, which I'm going to get in multiples with the sets. Thanks to your review. ) :devil:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

Great review.

As someone who displays instead of plays, I think the value of this set is quite high when I break it down using my own methods, especially considering the new special pieces. I'll definitely be picking this up... if TRU still has them when I go, I'll get two or four. Overall, not particularly interested in POTC, but I am interested in the ships and this set in particular.

This set is a little treasure trove of parts and useful pieces! :pir-wub:

I am now a fan of any licensed theme because each wave brings us new molds and better and better accessories! This explosion of new items, along with CS Minifigures have given endless possibilities for MOCs and I for one can't wait to get my hands on this theme!

Great review.

As someone who displays instead of plays, I think the value of this set is quite high when I break it down using my own methods, especially considering the new special pieces. I'll definitely be picking this up... if TRU still has them when I go, I'll get two or four. Overall, not particularly interested in POTC, but I am interested in the ships and this set in particular.

I'm also not interested in this line, But I did pick up (2) of these (TRU bogo half off, so I paid less than $10 ea.) I really wanted the Globe and Bottles. It is a great set with alot of good pieces.

Roob

Thanks again for another great review :pir-cry_happy:

I was going to hold off buying this one until I got my other sets, but after reading this review and the pretty pictures, I'm going to have to get it straight away. I love the detail and extras they have given us in such a small set, great!

Thanks again.

DAYUM,I wanted to pull myself together and NOT buy any of the POTC sets because they are so expensive, but... but... but... this is so incredibly lovely. Argh!!! I am such a weak kitty.

Edited by Miss Kyle

When I first saw the picture of clear packages with the pieces in them, "OMG, there are 2 globes??!!" Oh well, of course not-it was too naive of me! lol :blush:

Thanks to TheBrickmaster for the pictures and review!

I was not interested in this at all after seeing the initial pictures. But now I'm thinking about it -- good minifigs, some great parts, not a compelling design though. If it ever goes on sale (like for $8 at Target) I'll probably grab one, but probably won't ever build it, just use it for the parts.

The minifigs would probably cost $2.50-3.00 on Bricklink, so after taking them out of the equation the price per part for the remaining pieces is around $0.05 which is not bad at all. On sale it's even more compelling.

Just got my hands on two of these yesterday and the body prints of all the figures are beyond beautiful! :pir-wub: There is not a single bland or useless part in it, and th globe in person has such a charm!

I managed to grab this set before the sale ran out and at a TRU that didn't jack up the price yet. It's a fantastic set. I wish the scabbard was the "extra" piece in all these sets.

What a great review - thanks a lot for this! : ) I especially liked it how you incorporate it into the QAR, where it's supposed to take place!

I have to admit, I like the Jack Sparrow minifig and all the accesoires and parts, it is indeed very lovely. But since I don't see a need for those 2 Zombie pirates (that are not exclusive) and the price is just too high for what you get (15€), I am going to skip this.

I am a bit worried sometimes about the direction that the 15€ Licence-sets go. Anyone remember Indiana Jones (Cairo)? 4 exclusive minifigs, nice parts and useful stuff? Then PoP, which had 4 figs at first but then was reduced to 3 figs and a horse? Still, the horse was nice but there was not much besides the figs and the horse. And now this. 3 figs seem normal in 2011, with no exclusives.

Also the SW BPs were lazy this year, one had 4 similiar and boring figures, the other 3 lazy new prints and one with a new helmet. 2010 was much better there, the Hoth BPs were really nice. But this only on a sidenote..

What a great review - thanks a lot for this! : ) I especially liked it how you incorporate it into the QAR, where it's supposed to take place!

I have to admit, I like the Jack Sparrow minifig and all the accesoires and parts, it is indeed very lovely. But since I don't see a need for those 2 Zombie pirates (that are not exclusive) and the price is just too high for what you get (15€), I am going to skip this.

I am a bit worried sometimes about the direction that the 15€ Licence-sets go. Anyone remember Indiana Jones (Cairo)? 4 exclusive minifigs, nice parts and useful stuff? Then PoP, which had 4 figs at first but then was reduced to 3 figs and a horse? Still, the horse was nice but there was not much besides the figs and the horse. And now this. 3 figs seem normal in 2011, with no exclusives.

Also the SW BPs were lazy this year, one had 4 similiar and boring figures, the other 3 lazy new prints and one with a new helmet. 2010 was much better there, the Hoth BPs were really nice. But this only on a sidenote..

I thought the wobbly armed skelly counted as a minifig? I guess maybe because so much of the parts are made in china (globe + hair) has something to do with it, and Lego knowing they can get away with it. I don't think any other set has the globe or bottles (The escape one does, but I think it's a smoke-trans-gray, and the new parts (globe/bottles/map tile/compass/scabbard holder) seem enough for me to warrant a purchase.

But you can get it half off in May, I think with a 35 dollar purchase of other PotC sets.

Excellent review, Brickster! It's great to see such nice review being featured in one of the most anticipated themes ever.

Apart from the high price that throws me off a little, everything about this set is truly amazing. I like the fact that the accessories are useful, but the minifigures could have been better if it was 4. Perhaps, include another maiden in there. I understand that we haven't seen the movie yet but I am sure it will be of a huge significance since this scene was made as a set. In addition, I can't stop but to glance at your images again and again, to enjoy the amount of printed details on this set. :pir-sweet:

Thank you Brickster for sharing this with us. :pir-grin:

After building the QAR and the Isla, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes I decided to build one more set... a small one.

I must say that Lego did a great job on the dimensions of the boxes (very efficient).

This is a must have set for MOCers. The three figs can be found in other sets, but the parts in this small box are excellent: 2 bottles with ships, the globe, some more bones etc.

A great set...

Very strangely, I was looking in a Smyths shop (A toy shop in Britain) and I saw TWO SIZES OF BOX for this set! :pir_wacko:

It was strange, one was the size of a star wars battle pack box, and the other was about double the size. :pir-sceptic:

What's more was that one was laminated card like most POTC and Toy Story sets, but the other was hard, thick cardboard...

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I'll try to get pics next time I go...

yeah I love this set! The extra zombie pirates its kinda lame and I have a enough jacks to choke a wookie but the pieces are worth it in this set. I might go as far as buy another cuz of the pieces alone.