Oky

Star Wars

What not enough promotional material?? Sorry I can't hear you over this new promotional video release! 

1 hour ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

What not enough promotional material?? Sorry I can't hear you over this new promotional video release! 

Boy I'm going to love this film. That bit with Carrie at the end made me tear up!

ACKBAR'S BACK BABY! 

Yeah i'm really hyped. Not thrilled by the lack of OT aliens other then our beloved Mon Calamari though. Where the heck are the Bith and Ithorians? Other then that though it looks super.

I'm glad the First Order Officer corps appears to employ more grey and dark blue uniforms this go around, wasnt overly keen on all of them being in black always. 

Edited by Forresto

I can't wait for this movie now! Very happy Akbar will be in the movie since the voice actor had passed. As with probably everyone I am disappointed we are not seeing familiar aliens. That's is what I think the prequels did very well, they had new and old mixed.

Kylo Ren's Tie Silencer revealed! (Although we already knew how it looked from the Lego leaks didn't we? :laugh:)

Spoiler

I've not been delving into spoilers or leaks but I've heard that captain Phamsa will not look like a human Gwendoline Christie under her helmet , this leads me to ask if she might be a Chiss, Does anyone else think that this is likely?

That's great news. If Ewan McGregor reprises his role, I'd be happy to sit and watch a couple of hours of whatever they decide to put on film.

I'd love to see Mace Windu return too, whether in a small cameo capacity or in a full on dual billing scenario, some sort of surviving 'jedi chronicles' which might involve Yoda in a consulting capacity... exciting!

Although it's kind of neat... I don't know what kind of story he could have in between IV and VI. And I don't think it's a story that NEEDS to be told. 

Disney is going to milk Star Wars until there's nothing left. It's feeling like the comics where they just make every character go on a new adventure just because it sells, not because it's a good idea. These heroes just literally never get a vacation because they're adventuring 100% of the time. I think it actually makes the stories more special if they're not just casually doing adventuring and beating badguys constantly...

It might be good. I just don't think "hey this character is cool" is a good enough reason to make a new movie.

7 hours ago, BrickG said:

...It's feeling like the comics where they just make every character go on a new adventure just because it sells, not because it's a good idea. These heroes just literally never get a vacation because they're adventuring 100% of the time. I think it actually makes the stories more special if they're not just casually doing adventuring and beating badguys constantly...

Honestly the original Lucasfilm Expanded Universe (Legends) was far more guilty in that regard than what Disney has produced yet. In the 30 in universe years in-between ROTJ and TFA the only canon story involving the OT characters we have are the Aftermath trilogy, Bloodline, and Leia's appearances in the Poe Dameron comics. In Legends in that same span of time the original trilogy characters had stopped an army of invading dinosaurs, C-3PO and R2 worked at Star Tours briefly for reasons unknown and helped destroy Death Star III, Luke and crew faced off against Grand Admiral Thrawn, founded a Jedi Academy only to have a student steal an Imperial Sun Crusher prototype and destroy a star system, threw the Sun Crusher and a Death Star Prototype into a black hole near Kessel, fought a power hungry Hutt who had his own Death Star laser built, helped Kyle Katarn and his students on their Jedi Quests, fought a resurrected Palpatine where Luke fell to the darkside and Mon Cala was stripped of its resources by world eating super factories with two massive Eclipse class super star destroyers in the mix, fought the Yuuzhan Vong with Chewbacca dead in a moon crushing him explosion thing, held a second Galactic Civil War with Jacen Solo becoming a Dark Lord of the Sith then his sister killing him with training from Boba Fett... and it all ended over 100 years later when Luke Skywalker's junkie great great grandson was haunted by Luke's force ghost. :tongue: Honestly Luke, Han and Leia have seemed to have plenty of time to relax and live a normal life in the new canon compared to their poor Legends adaptations who were constantly running from adventure to adventure with each new novel released...

The only thing really guilty of that overstuffing the lives of the OT characters is the main Star Wars Comic run right now which is set inbetween ANH and ESB (funny you mention comics as an example of how it could get overstuffed pretty quickly...). I haven't read it but from what I hear it makes it seem a ton of stuff happened in those few years set between films.

3 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Honestly the original Lucasfilm Expanded Universe (Legends) was far more guilty in that regard than what Disney has produced yet. In the 30 in universe years in-between ROTJ and TFA the only canon story involving the OT characters we have are the Aftermath trilogy, Bloodline, and Leia's appearances in the Poe Dameron comics. In Legends in that same span of time the original trilogy characters had stopped an army of invading dinosaurs, C-3PO and R2 worked at Star Tours briefly for reasons unknown and helped destroy Death Star III, Luke and crew faced off against Grand Admiral Thrawn, founded a Jedi Academy only to have a student steal an Imperial Sun Crusher prototype and destroy a star system, threw the Sun Crusher and a Death Star Prototype into a black hole near Kessel, fought a power hungry Hutt who had his own Death Star laser built, helped Kyle Katarn and his students on their Jedi Quests, fought a resurrected Palpatine where Luke fell to the darkside and Mon Cala was stripped of its resources by world eating super factories with two massive Eclipse class super star destroyers in the mix, fought the Yuuzhan Vong with Chewbacca dead in a moon crushing him explosion thing, held a second Galactic Civil War with Jacen Solo becoming a Dark Lord of the Sith then his sister killing him with training from Boba Fett... and it all ended over 100 years later when Luke Skywalker's junkie great great grandson was haunted by Luke's force ghost. :tongue: Honestly Luke, Han and Leia have seemed to have plenty of time to relax and live a normal life in the new canon compared to their poor Legends adaptations who were constantly running from adventure to adventure with each new novel released...

The only thing really guilty of that overstuffing the lives of the OT characters is the main Star Wars Comic run right now which is set inbetween ANH and ESB (funny you mention comics as an example of how it could get overstuffed pretty quickly...). I haven't read it but from what I hear it makes it seem a ton of stuff happened in those few years set between films.

I've read some of the new comics and several characters seem to already being like Wolverine (Showing up everywhere all the time lol). 

I know the old lore was overstuffed and frankly... bad a lot. And that's what I hope they'd want to avoid again. But I honestly see it just going in the same direction of being overstuffed, over explained, and overdone. I know form a sales point of view it's unreasonable to ask them to LEAVE characters alone sometimes. Sometimes a character who is popular should have their story DONE. Characters don't need to be adventuring 100% of the time. I mean I'd be all for it if the writing quality was good throughout but I'd say at LEAST over half of the old Star Wars lore was trash lol.

Idunno the outlook isn't good IMO. I might have to start to ignore the new "EU" completely like I did with the old EU if it gets too ridiculous. I already wish I could ignore half the canon movies XD.

That is one reason though I like to give credit to Rebels and The Clone Wars... They managed to create some original characters that they can use in expanded universe stories without overstuffing the lives of some of the more iconic characters. The Clone Wars was a bit more guilty with regards to keeping Anakin and Obi-Wan constantly busy; but Rebels has struck a bit more of a balance with characters like Darth Vader, Mon Mothma, Obi-Wan, and Leia having only showed up in a small handful of episodes and the rest really focused on characters previously introduced in either The Clone Wars or within Rebels itself. The only recurring OT character I can think of in Rebels and The Clone Wars who is starting to seem to show up excessively is Tarkin oddly enough... Doesn't he have a Death Star to go help build why is he so busy focused on Lothal? :laugh:

I appreciate Rebels having new characters. And didn't mind Clone Wars business since it was wartime and a lot can happen then (though some stuff didn't make sense like when they met certain characters...).

I'd love to see more stories with original characters and plots. More KOTOR and stuff. Maybe after Rogue One they'll take more risks with new characters... (though I didn't like Rogue One because the characters were bland and boring).

From the same THR report that informed us of the Obi Wan solo film, they reported that Lucasfilm (a.k.a. Disney) are also looking into doing solo Yoda and Boba Fett movies. :wacko:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505

The Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-alone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard, and Lucasfilm is also considering pics centering on Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among other characters.

And if that wasn't bad enough, Lucasfilm is also looking into doing...a Jabba the Hutt movie:ugh:

From Variety:

Some of the other standalones in development include a Jabba the Hutt story and a Boba Fett movie.

The Yoda and Boba Fett films have been rumored since Disney first bought Star Wars. I think I would enjoy either of them. Boba's history between the PT and OT is largely unexplored. Yoda is 800+ years old... they could easily set his story 700 years before the events of the film and have an entirely new era to explore (which would actually be rather exciting). Of course if a Yoda story is told during the PT era or OT era that would be a wasted opportunity. While it makes sense to do an Obi-Wan story set in that era to have Ewan McGregor to reprise his role, Yoda would be wasted on it. He is literally a CGI/Puppet creature... and although Frank Oz has done a great job preforming his voice he can easily be replaced by another voice actor with no issues. Jabba though is a bit surprising... I think Jabba would make sense as a supporting cast member of a Boba Fett film but I couldn't see Disney committing a Jabba centered story to film... he doesn't even speak in English! A main character with subtitles for the whole film would be pretty hard to pull off. It wouldn't surprise me if Jabba is just some concept that was bounced around briefly and ended up getting leaked to the Star Wars news hungry media although Lucasfilm has probably already shelved the idea...

Like a lot of others here, I wouldn't mind an anthology film taking inspiration from other eras of Star Wars such as KOTOR or a Darth Bane story... Could be an opportunity to beef out the saga's canon lore too.

I'd be in for a Boba film and even Jabba could be interesting (although not sure how "action" orientated such a film might be).

Please, please don't make a Yoda film though, He's the main reason I don't like ESB so much. All that bad grammar and the way he trolls/lectures every other character is grating. The thought of an entire movie devoted to him fills me with dread.

Ermm, a whole movie based on Boba Fett? Boba Fett works because we don't know much about him and he looks bad megablocks even when doing nothing, I really like the character but for a movie only about him would be terrible IMO. Put him in a fight scene in one of your movie disney, but please not a whole movie. 

Poor Star Wars is getting milked so bad, and I can't wait how freacking weird that Han Solo movie is gonna end up. 

Boba Fett could work well as part of a movie centered around bounty hunters on dangerous missions or something like that, if they made a movie about the underworld in the tar Wars universe, but as a stand-alone, eh, I dunno.

I'm still on the fence about Han Solo although I think it could work well if done right.

39 minutes ago, Error404 said:

Boba Fett could work well as part of a movie centered around bounty hunters on dangerous missions or something like that, if they made a movie about the underworld in the tar Wars universe, but as a stand-alone, eh, I dunno..

That might work, like a Suicide Squad style movie, featuring the bounty hunters. 

Is there any reason why The Last Jedi isn't as heavily promoted by Disney as The Force Awakens? By this time 2 years ago, we had already gotten 3 trailers for TFA, while now we've only gotten a teaser and BTS footage from TLJ.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I at least expected a second full-length trailer to be released by now. I mean, it's only 3,5 months till the movie hits theaters and all we have are a few glimpses of what in my opinion is one of the most anticipated movies of this year.

19 hours ago, TAFOL said:

Is there any reason why The Last Jedi isn't as heavily promoted by Disney as The Force Awakens? By this time 2 years ago, we had already gotten 3 trailers for TFA, while now we've only gotten a teaser and BTS footage from TLJ.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I at least expected a second full-length trailer to be released by now. I mean, it's only 3,5 months till the movie hits theaters and all we have are a few glimpses of what in my opinion is one of the most anticipated movies of this year.

Perhaps the huge blowout will be during Force Friday this week. It is the 40th after all and they may want to not oversaturate the brand. Though I have noticed and felt less hype for this new entry than the previous one also. All that may change after this Friday though. 

I think they also want to be a bit more cautious since TFA seemed to drop off like a rock after people had time to digest is contents. 

It will be hard to match the TFA hype since that was the first live action Star Wars film we had gotten in ten years... So maybe the advertising restraint for TLJ is part of the plan? One I heard rumors that Rian Johnson is really working to limit what the trailers show about his film, so maybe the decision to tone it down is coming from him... Or maybe Disney/Lucasfilm is trying to avoid over-saturating an already Star Wars flooded market. They kind of are trickling out information for the new film slowly, but along with the film they are kind of dropping hints about other projects such as the Han Solo film, Star Wars Galaxy's Edge in the theme parks, the VR Void Experience also coming to the theme parks, Battlefront II etc... As a whole I'd dare say the promotion for that stuff is all adds up to a lot of content already, so maybe keeping TLJ somewhat sporadic ensures it doesn't eclipse out interest in the other projects. And frankly if Disney has us hyped about TLJ, Battlefront II, the theme parks, Han Solo, and all their other projects... that is more money in their pocket than if they had us hyped solely just for TLJ.