Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

Book II Challenge V [Cat. A]: Orc outpost flyby

Somewhere high in the Rakath mountains...

Orc (crossbow)

What's that sound? 

Orc (axe) 

Aye, what?

Orc (crossbow)

Rustle of the air, round the back of the mountain. ... It's getting louder, better check the pass!

Orc (axe)

Aye, gonna look, boss. 

Aye, something fly'nour way, kinda fas.... 

At that moment, a knight of steel shot past the mountain ridge at incredible speed, and leaving behind a blazing trail of deep blue flames... 

32798930281_c4f35b789e_z.jpg

Zotharith's research institute recently developed a flying magical device, powered by exceptionally durable blue arcane crystals. Damascian of My'athar, a cunning, skillful knight, was entrusted with it, to carry out an important mission: calling all wandering wizards to return to Zotharith. His target being in some town in the Rod's Peaks, a long period of continuous flight ahead, Damascian was killing some time by doing nose dives and scaring a few mountain orcs out of their wits...

32921867605_0560aaf591_z.jpg

32078767814_a203f2cf98_z.jpg

32107043983_747bae12da_z.jpg

Damascian

Spire or not, these guys are just too much fun to mess with!

32881477316_18ebce664b_c.jpg

------------------------------

Hello guys, here's my Cat. A entry, for the Resistance! I hope you like it! :classic: I designed Damascian way back in April 2016, but I never really knew how to introduce this character or what his role would be, until this challenge came around. Also, I had been playing with the idea of a mountain ridge outpost for a very long time, so it was great to finally have a go at it (though maybe I got a little carried away with that part, given the catagory). I wanted to make the most of the 256 stud area, so I didn't go with the standard configuration.

Extra images:

32768335352_8906acacc8_z.jpg

Area is 217 studs, counted from the ground up to the third layer of plates. 

32107045863_78f8b6daa9_z.jpg

32921877985_4285c7a5a1_z.jpg

26050025313_a2c5422e06_z.jpg

The original design for Damascian.

Thank you for looking, C&C appreciated, as always! :wink: 

Edited by Exetrius
removed spoiler tag

Excellent build, Exetrius! The use of macaroni bricks in the rockwork is surprisingly effective here, and you did a  wonderful job maximizing the limited space :thumbup:
The occasional spots of vegetation look nice, and the dark green roof fits wonderfully. I enjoyed the little story too :laugh:

Great build, Exetrius!

I really like the ramshackle structure (especially the roof technique) and the small but effective landscaping!  The irregular shape definitely maximizes the limited footprint!  As LJ said, the use of macaroni bricks in the rocks works quite well here.  That little tree is a perfect accent!

The story gave me a laugh, though a jetpack of any sorts in GoH seems a bit of a far stretch to me.  I still like your story, and your photography and editing are wonderful!

Very cool photography, and I really like the roof, but the other parts of the build are cool as well.

Great job Exetrius! :thumbup: 

I love the irregular base! I am glad I am not the only one who decided a traditional 16x16 square, or something roughly similar, was the way to go (as you'll see when I get mine posted); the long-and-lean look allows for so much more action to be shown. The outpost is appropriately orcish and rickety, and your fig posing is great as usual. 

The dark green roof looks very fitting for an Orc outpost :thumbup: The banner up top, and rockwork are my favorite parts, in addition to the roof :classic:

I still absolutely love Damascian of My'athar his flying magical device, perhaps in the future Zotharit could be persuaded to craft one for Lupin :laugh:

The outpost is neat too, it kind of looks a bit like a tree, intended camouflage perhaps.

Hilarious idea! The falling orc is a great touch. Nice little outpost, the natural canopy looks pretty cool.

@LittleJohn @TitusV @soccerkid6 @MassEditor @nivremis @Windusky Thank you for your feedback! :sweet:

On 16-2-2017 at 2:51 PM, Slegengr said:

Great build, Exetrius!

I really like the ramshackle structure (especially the roof technique) and the small but effective landscaping!  The irregular shape definitely maximizes the limited footprint!  As LJ said, the use of macaroni bricks in the rocks works quite well here.  That little tree is a perfect accent!

The story gave me a laugh, though a jetpack of any sorts in GoH seems a bit of a far stretch to me.  I still like your story, and your photography and editing are wonderful!

Thank you! The tree uses CMF Ursala's bottom piece, I've had it as a tablescrap for a while. I was thinking: why wouldn't the orcs build the outpost on the ruins, instead of on the (more photogenic!) rock face, but then the tree was a perfect fit. :classic:

Concerning the "jetpack" (a term that I deliberately avoided). If gargoyles, winged serpents, griffons and dragons (just to name a few) can fly, and mages can create golems and huge magic explosions and rainbows, etc., then what part of a flying device (propelled by magic energy only) seems unfitting for Guilds of Historica? Zotharith is the place where new purposes for magic are found, it's where the magic happens. :wink:

On 16-2-2017 at 9:50 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I love the irregular base! I am glad I am not the only one who decided a traditional 16x16 square, or something roughly similar, was the way to go (as you'll see when I get mine posted); the long-and-lean look allows for so much more action to be shown. The outpost is appropriately orcish and rickety, and your fig posing is great as usual. 

Thanks a lot! In my opinion, the overview shot doesn't do justice to the model, as it doesn't fully convey the sense of depth, height and broadness. I mean, in-hand I can still hardly believe that all of that is still smaller than 16x16. The posing was a real pain to get right, but I'm satisfied enough with that. 

On 17-2-2017 at 6:13 PM, Isundir said:

I still absolutely love Damascian of My'athar his flying magical device, perhaps in the future Zotharith could be persuaded to craft one for Lupin :laugh:

The outpost is neat too, it kind of looks a bit like a tree, intended camouflage perhaps.

Haha, thanks! Yeah, I'm proud of that figure! :grin: Zotharith is not particularly generous when it comes to sharing magi-technological advances... Maybe a test flight, for fun. In a guarded, sealed off area. :wink: 

15 hours ago, Exetrius said:

If gargoyles, winged serpents, griffons and dragons (just to name a few) can fly, and mages can create golems and huge magic explosions and rainbows, etc., then what part of a flying device (propelled by magic energy only) seems unfitting for Guilds of Historica? Zotharith is the place where new purposes for magic are found, it's where the magic happens. :wink:

:wink: I see your point.  The only reason I do not prefer it is the similarity to the modern (or futuristic) world technology rather than medieval fantasy, though magic is certainly used in GoH.  I do actually think the flying knight is an interesting idea, just one that I personally will not use.  No offense intended, none taken (I hope).

2 hours ago, Slegengr said:

:wink: I see your point.  The only reason I do not prefer it is the similarity to the modern (or futuristic) world technology rather than medieval fantasy, though magic is certainly used in GoH.  I do actually think the flying knight is an interesting idea, just one that I personally will not use.  No offense intended, none taken (I hope).

I can definitely understand your point of view, no harm done! 

37 minutes ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Nicely done Exetrius!

Thanks! :classic:

Do you have any pics of the jetpack from a rear angle? I'm in the "a bit too much scifi" camp, but the design looks cool from the front and I want too see more! :grin:

""

6 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Do you have any pics of the jetpack from a rear angle? I'm in the "a bit too much scifi" camp, but the design looks cool from the front and I want too see more! :grin:

""

Thanks! Upon your request, here's a a rear view shot:

32214925583_3c4682c2f5_z.jpg

5 hours ago, Exetrius said:

That picture is fantastic, maybe a better fit for sci-fi, but great here nonetheless! Excellent and beautiful photography and sweet jetpack design!  Now I want one so I can buzz an orc outpost...:laugh:

On 2/21/2017 at 3:36 AM, Exetrius said:

And now I need to get some of those Ninjago thingies.  Thanks!