igordost

[MOC] Erie Triplex

Hello,

This is my first MOC in EB Train Tech however I've been following this forum since years (building some other MOCs you can find in my Flickr photo gallery). First of all, thank you guys for inspiration :) I really enjoy my time reading your posts. Erie Triplex was already built   by Shuppiluliumas, and  by Lego Train 12 Volt, really great models! (sorry if I missed other creators) I tried to do my own recreation of this distinguished loco. Please have a look and comment. 

32482944041_1c52610d5b_n.jpg

I decided to use sand green + flat silver curved slopes, added a bit of glamour with few extra gold chromed parts :) 

Dimensions and PF:

Length: 82 studs
Width: 10 studs
Height: 11 bricks
PF: 3x  L-motors + Sbrick controller + 88000 battery
Weight: 1,6kg

Non-standard solution and technics:: 

1. To add more realism I used well-known rods from Zephyr (TrainedBricks http://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=zephyr
2. SBrick ( http://sbrick.com )
3. Chromed parts from Aurimax ( Chrome Block City http://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=Aurimax )
4. Trimmed technic axle (BL #6587) to connect rods with wheels (I know the solution how to connect  it in proper Lego way, but this change is on my to-do list )

5. Bullfrog Snot on 2 pairs of wheels  ( http://www.bullfrogsnot.com/faq.asp ) but finally I decided to add white o-rings
6. Stickers

32605801085_e86e3c1f39_n.jpg

32482942861_9f313a3262_n.jpg

32482943671_4043d9940a_n.jpg

32605800915_3a0e8c7c50_n.jpg

32482943231_7013d351bc_n.jpg

Lady in black & white

31793739263_11d4da5440_n.jpg

31793739373_62f026598c_n.jpg

31793739133_a266d037c3_n.jpg

Movie 

Cheers

Edited by igordost

NIce! I could watch that locomotive run all day! Great choice on the boiler color. It makes for a very sharp looking model. Any shots of the power train? Is there one motor on each set of drivers? This creation would be right at home on the PennLug layout.

23 minutes ago, ecmo47 said:

I could watch that locomotive run all day!

So could I! :wub:
That's a really great MOC. Congratulations!
What's that part you used for the smokebox door?

45 minutes ago, ecmo47 said:

NIce! I could watch that locomotive run all day! Great choice on the boiler color. It makes for a very sharp looking model. Any shots of the power train? Is there one motor on each set of drivers? This creation would be right at home on the PennLug layout.

Thank you. Unfortunately I did not document work in progress so no pictures of power. There are 2 L-motors powering first set of 8-wheels and 1 L-motor powering 2nd set of 8-wheels. Reduction 12/20 between motor and wheels. Motor cables are running to SBrick (channel C with 2 motors, channel D with one motor). 

16 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

So could I! :wub:
That's a really great MOC. Congratulations!
What's that part you used for the smokebox door?

Thank you :) It is Bionicle shield, # 45275

45275.png

Edited by igordost
correction of numbers

Outstanding craftsmanship!  I agree as well, I too could watch that beautiful steamer run all day...and I am not a steam fan!  I didn't realize that something like that even existed, I have been around trains my while life!  Anyways, nice job on your creation.  

9 minutes ago, legoman666 said:

Fantastic, nice color choice. Any idea on limits of how much it can haul?

Thanks! I tested it with 6 freight cars only however two of them with 6L axles (4 pairs each) so I guess it should haul approx. 10 cars. 2-8-8-8-2 setup introduces lots of resistance and it is not the very powerful model :)

37 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Very nice build. Fun to watch going around.  Does it handle R40 curves?

Thank you. Yes, it does however obviously it slows down when negotating R40. This wheels setup creates lots of friction :( I will try to record another movie with R40 curves soon.

Wow what an epic locomotive! :wub:

You've done a very good work here!

I like the livery colors and the gold details of the tender.

The custom rods are amazing and overall you have caught the spirit of this giant steam engine! :thumbup::thumbup:

6 hours ago, legoman666 said:

Have you considered putting some ball bearings on your rolling stock? 

2x5x2.5 Ball Bearings

:)

Yes, Andrew, I tried this solution :) I saw your, Cale's and other guys' creations - no doubt, performance is really outstanding. I put bearings in one of my passenger car,and it worked well. However... it requires (1) lots of time to rebuild my stock, (2) lots of work with tools :) My experience shows that 50% of bearings are a bit smaller then 2mm and manual application on Lego axle is sometimes not possible. M_Longer from LugPol advised to freeze axle and then try it again. I will give it a go soon.

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow what an epic locomotive! :wub:

You've done a very good work here!

I like the livery colors and the gold details of the tender.

The custom rods are amazing and overall you have caught the spirit of this giant steam engine! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you :) Your solution of Walschaerts valve was a big inspiration for my loco. In fact, I should use Baker's one but decided to simplify rods a bit. 

Edited by igordost

I think the new style axles are 0.05mm bigger. I measured a bunch with calipers. The old style were consistently 1.95mm ish, whereas the new ones are 2.00mm ish. The bearing hole is 2mm, so if there's any positive variance on the axle size, it isn't going to fit. The older style are better anyway, the wheels don't just fall off. 

54 minutes ago, legoman666 said:

I think the new style axles are 0.05mm bigger. I measured a bunch with calipers. The old style were consistently 1.95mm ish, whereas the new ones are 2.00mm ish. The bearing hole is 2mm, so if there's any positive variance on the axle size, it isn't going to fit. The older style are better anyway, the wheels don't just fall off. 

Sounds like my case. But I'm not giving up, I will try  bearings again soon :-)

Oh wow, that is a beauty! I love the sand green on gray/black, really pops! Of course now you need a 3% grade and 100 cars to shove (grin). The detailing on the locomotive is impressive, watching it run is great but peering over all of the details in the still shots is equally enjoyable.

Thank you guys for kind words.

16 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Oh wow, that is a beauty! I love the sand green on gray/black, really pops! Of course now you need a 3% grade and 100 cars to shove (grin). The detailing on the locomotive is impressive, watching it run is great but peering over all of the details in the still shots is equally enjoyable.

Thanks, Zephyr. Your rods work (and look :classic:) really great. I'm working on train bridge now so most likely Triplex will have a chance to climb 3%. But 100 cars... in future when I add 3 L-motors more :laugh:

10 hours ago, Shupp said:

Really great job on this. I like the color scheme, and it looks like a solid runner too!

Thank you Shupp. Your Triplex is unsurpassed creation of this loco and great inspiration :classic:

2 hours ago, igordost said:

Thank you Shupp. Your Triplex is unsurpassed creation of this loco and great inspiration :classic:

Well I'm glad you found it inspirational! As for the bullfrog snot. My club tried that on some engines as well and found it didn't seem to stick to the plastic very well. It would rub off fairly quickly. Did you have that issue or was there another reason you went to o-rings?

Looks fantastic- I have found that XL motors and pf train motors are the only logical choices for powering trains excluding shunters. I would try to redo the drive system however I understand how difficult this could be. Adding another battery box ma also improve the performance. Great moc!

18 hours ago, Shupp said:

Well I'm glad you found it inspirational! As for the bullfrog snot. My club tried that on some engines as well and found it didn't seem to stick to the plastic very well. It would rub off fairly quickly. Did you have that issue or was there another reason you went to o-rings?

Yes, it rubs off a bit quicker than I expected. And another observation: when applied on 2 adjacent pairs of large wheels, it adds extra resistance on R40 curves. But still I use bullfrog snot in locos with BBB wheels and it is not that bad. However I'm not running trains for hours....

16 hours ago, BurkusCircus said:

I was going to say my praises, but they've already been said! That things a beaut!

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Beck said:

Looks fantastic- I have found that XL motors and pf train motors are the only logical choices for powering trains excluding shunters. I would try to redo the drive system however I understand how difficult this could be. Adding another battery box ma also improve the performance. Great moc!

Thanks :) L-motors are ok too. If I decide to enlarge Triplex boiler, will try to place there XL motors