Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade

For what it is worth I think the forum upgrade worked out pretty good. If all you need to do is just edit the post and save to restore the post back to original post condition then its only a matter of time for all the post to be fixed and other stuff to come back. I'm looking forward for it.

On 9/24/2016 at 8:53 AM, nerdsforprez said:

These updates really will take some time to get used to.  But already I am becoming more and more used to them.  One other weird thing I noticed though, on my signature block, all the text used to be in black and orange; now only parts are in black and orange, other parts are in gray.  I will have to play with this to fix it.  Like I said, weird......

Invision has a nasty habit of associating multiple types of text in a single setting. In this case, there are a number of things that are controlled together, so changing that in one place, would change them all. The simple solution is to take control of the situation yourself and edit your sig to specifically set the text colours as you wish them (not using the automatic colour, but the actual one).

Hey Staff,

I imagine an upgrade this big must be a pain in the butt.  I was a little disappointed in it at first (though I'm aware that it was out of your control) but already things are shaping up a bit.  I'm sure that will continue.  Thanks so much for the hard work!

I am loving that the member icon tags are all nicely aligned now, especially for staff who have heaps of them. It was such a mess before!

Regarding the "see first unread post" issue. Clicking the blue brick/technic brick works, but it's not what most of us were used to doing. It was nice that threads would default to the first unread comment when you click on them. Now, I've noticed this seems to be the default in any activity stream which is nice, but for regular browsing through the forums, it would be nice to have it back. And one more comment for those who have had difficulty with the activity page, I found it helpful to choose the option on the upper right that changed it from Expanded to Condensed. It's a little bit more like what we were used to on the old forum.

Second, regarding the BBCcode updating that a program is currently grinding through to bring back all our pictures, I did a manual update on one of the Star Wars SoNE topics and all the formatting seemed to go out the window. The pictures were back as of Friday, but now even those are missing. I started manualling editing it back into shape but wanted to see if there was an easier way. And now I'm also hoping you can help me get the pictures back.

Third, when I try to ctrl+click on a different page number within a thread that has multiple pages, instead of opening that page in a new browser window (using Chrome or Firefox) it opens it in my current tab. For example, this thread has 11 pages. I'm typing a comment on page 11, but if I ctrl+click to go back to look at a comment on page 10, instead of opening a new tab it clears out everything I've been typing and opens page 10 right here. That's a pretty big thing for those of us who judging contests so I would humble ask that a possible solution be added to the to-do pile.

Fourth, has anyone else noticed that you can ctrl+v a Flickr imagine URL directly into a post without having to post it as an image? That's incredible! I really like that feature, makes posting a lot faster for me!

Lastly, THANK YOU! I know you are all putting a lot of work into this and overall I think the changes are good.

I am not going read through 11 pages to discover this question has been answered already, but will LFX files be supported as attachments, and why has the max file size been reduced to 40.96KB?

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

Third, when I try to ctrl+click on a different page number within a thread that has multiple pages, instead of opening that page in a new browser window (using Chrome or Firefox) it opens it in my current tab. For example, this thread has 11 pages. I'm typing a comment on page 11, but if I ctrl+click to go back to look at a comment on page 10, instead of opening a new tab it clears out everything I've been typing and opens page 10 right here. That's a pretty big thing for those of us who judging contests so I would humble ask that a possible solution be added to the to-do pile.

try using center mouse click (wheel) that's how I normally open a new tab, and so far has worked in IE, and Firefox.

There are some things I like about the update, some things I don't, and some things I am still unclear on.
I like that I no longer have typing issues with my tablet. In the old format I had to use the text coding, or I my typing got messed up (adding spaces, keys not responding, or double typing).
I don't like that the text coding feature is gone altogether. I can deal with it, but it will mean more work on my end when I do my large text posts. Highlighting specific text is a pain on this tablet.
I don't like the automatic double spacing, but understand why it has to be this way. Using the [SHIFT]ENTER workaround removes the automatic capitalization for the next line.
I am unclear on what share coding to use on Flickr from now on.  If it is HTML, which I have never used, shouldn't a new Flickr Tutorial be established?

4 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

shouldn't a new Flickr Tutorial be established?

It has been mentioned before, but to reiterate: tutorials will be updated for this new software in the near future.

As for Flickr, it is much easier now as you don't need any share code. Just copy the URL for the image and past it into the post.

6 minutes ago, Darkdragon said:

It has been mentioned before, but to reiterate: tutorials will be updated for this new software in the near future.

As for Flickr, it is much easier now as you don't need any share code. Just copy the URL for the image and past it into the post.

That doesn't help when you want to use a different size for the image. I did that a lot, and will need it again.

Just now, gedren_y said:

That doesn't help when you want to use a different size for the image. I did that a lot, and will need it again.

It does, actually. You just go to the image and click "copy image url" and paste it in. It's not just Flickr, it's any image with a proper URL.

10 minutes ago, Darkdragon said:

It does, actually. You just go to the image and click "copy image url" and paste it in. It's not just Flickr, it's any image with a proper URL.

That doesn't solve my issue. URL copying doesn't give the size option.

I have just tried to browse Eurobricks on my Windows 7 netbook, it will only go to the Portal page, and doesn't have the regular forums button. When I try to use any link I get 404 Not Found. It happened across all three of my browsers.

3 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

That doesn't solve my issue. URL copying doesn't give the size option.

Yes it does, I refuse to build a Flickr tutorial in this thread. It is very simple though, you go to the RIGHT SIZE image and copy the URL.  I guess you'll just have to wait for a step-by-step tutorial if you can't figure out what I've said the past few posts.

Additionally, it sounds like your netbook is running the mobile version of the site.

25 minutes ago, Darkdragon said:

Yes it does, I refuse to build a Flickr tutorial in this thread. It is very simple though, you go to the RIGHT SIZE image and copy the URL.  I guess you'll just have to wait for a step-by-step tutorial if you can't figure out what I've said the past few posts.

Additionally, it sounds like your netbook is running the mobile version of the site.

I get what you mean now. I've never had to use that with BBCode, and the link to the page with all the size URLs was moved several updates ago. I only just now found it in the download section.

For my netbook, I just had to type out the new forums URL.

Edited by gedren_y

1 minute ago, gedren_y said:

I get what you mean now. I've never had to use that with BBCode, and the link to the page with all the size URLs was moved several updates ago. I only just now found it in the download section.

Yeah, Flickr made it a bit unintuitive to find. Glad you found it, I'm so use to using it that I never thought others might not know how to get to it since they moved it. :thumbup:

A thousand thanks to you admins who got the site running quite well again in such a short time! Many of the major issues already seem to be fixed - most important for me, the pictures in the Train Tech forum are back! Hooray!!! :laugh:

But there are still some odd things... For example, the topics' view count (in the Forum topics list) doesn't change when I read a post, not even after reloading the Forum list... ? *huh* ?

Ok, so I don't get comment tagging. (If that's what it's called) What does it do? Do I click over someone's name? If so, what do I do then? Probably a dumb question, but I don't just go around experimenting by clicking shit blindly. :wink:

I think there's an option in the notification settings for something about alerts when you're mentioned in a post.

Seems like a way to keep narcissists busy.

On 25/09/2016 at 4:19 PM, BEAVeR said:

One thing that had me worried after the update was that the BBCode for tables is no longer supported and that there was no viable alternative. But now for fun I just copied some cells from a spreadsheet to see what it would give, and it seems it just keeps the table structure intact! You can edit the cells and all. Now that's a huge advantage of the new software nobody has been talking about, and something that really convinces me this update is huge *huh*

~edity snip~

PS: with all of these people noticing there post count has gone down, mine actually has gone up significantly because uploads in the gallery are now apparently counted as well..

OH GOODNESS. Pasting from Excel? If that works for OpenOffice too then all of the Action Indexes are going to be updated so hard they won't know what hit them. A fresh forum feel calls for fresh indexing (She says with all the motivation of a 23:10 energy rush before bed...)

You have to scroll really far to the left to see the mobile menu pop-up on chrome browser on a nexus 5 phone.

This is in landscape. You can't see it at all in portraitinUsRLg.png

The upgradeseems to be going quite well so far! Since I have a website of my own, I can understand how much work it takes to make a switch like this :thumbup:

I haven't figured out how to make an image also a link. My old method of inserting the image. clicking on it, and then inserting a link doesn't work anymore it would seem. Anyone found a way to make an image also be a link?

The naughty word filter hasn't been re-implemented by the look of things:grin::laugh:

5 hours ago, Only Sinner said:

I don't just go around experimenting by clicking shit blindly. :wink: