Why do I get the feeling its going to be at least half the size if not smaller...

Not sure why. I thought the LEGO Ideas video said they were keeping it the same size?

I sure hope it's the same size as the original Idea.

This is the first set in a long time that I've felt the need to buy. I want to buy a lot of others, but this one is a must have for me.

Not sure why. I thought the LEGO Ideas video said they were keeping it the same size?

They didn't say specifically they were keeping it the same size. However, they did mention the size as one of the great things about it, which would be an odd thing to call attention to if they thought they'd need to change that too dramatically. They generally already have at least a first prototype to test the viability of a project before they announce it's passed review.

They didn't say specifically they were keeping it the same size. However, they did mention the size as one of the great things about it, which would be an odd thing to call attention to if they thought they'd need to change that too dramatically. They generally already have at least a first prototype to test the viability of a project before they announce it's passed review.

Okay, that's what I must be remembering. I haven't watched the video since that day, but I remember that the size was something specifically called out.

Certainly a change in the current line up of sets. I will be interested to see how TG modifie the design to make it a set.

We have some new info about the Apollo 11 set

22 hours ago, L@go said:

Just thought I'd mention that I had a chat with the Ideas people at the Skærbæk Fan Weekend on Saturday, about the upcoming sets. They had a stand there with the Caterham on display. I haven't seen much about the Apollo 11 Saturn-V anywhere yet, so it came as a nice surprise that they were actually willing to discuss it a bit, specifically the fact that it doesn't seem to have lost any size during the refinement process. According to both representatives I talked to (and they should know what they're talking about) it's "huge" and "more than a metre in length". Which means it's "easily the biggest Ideas set so far".

22 hours ago, L@go said:

That's what they said...

I know and I believe you

But I'm having a hard time believing them

I mean, Disney castle is 74cm high. Apollo 11 Saturn-V will be more than 100 cm long. That thing will be HUGE

The conversation was very informal, so obviously there's a chance that they were exaggerating . But even if they were, it's a pretty good indicator that it will indeed be huge.

24 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I mean, Disney castle is 74cm high. 

And by the way, that's 29 inches. :wink:

4 minutes ago, CM4Sci said:

And by the way, that's 29 inches. :wink:

That wink. I hope I like that wink.

Apollo 11 - Saturn V is gonna be yuge.

I cannot see them modifying the height too much.  To do so significantly would require using entirely different parts to achieve the smaller scale, which would in turn make it a completely different project.  If anything is modified, it would be something in order to keep it structurally sound.  It will be tall, but it will also be slender, so it will not be as large scale and expensive as Disney Castle, Orthanc, or other big and tall sets.  

As for release date, I do not think they would delay all of the way to 2019 to coincide with the 50th anniversary.  If anything, that would hopefully encourage Lego to give it multiple production runs to extend the sales into that time frame.  That would certainly help avoid a repeat of the Mars Rover, Research Institute debacle.  Of course, I am not taking any chances and will order it within minutes of it becoming available.  

They said next year, so 2019 is off the mark. Didn't get a more specific date (but then I didn't ask, either).

I suppose it will be early next year ... why 2019??? We have 2016, next year 2017!

Also I wonder how big their backlog of unreleased but approved projects can be ... how many Ideas sets did they release 2016 ... one, two???

13 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

As for release date, I do not think they would delay all of the way to 2019 to coincide with the 50th anniversary.

That's why I mentioned 2019.

I don't think there's any reason to believe it won't come out next year.

I hope they are doing a good job with this model and trying to stay with the original design.  I haven't heard a peep about it; yet the Beatles set which was announced at the same time has been available for almost two months now.

Have we heard anything about this or seen any pictures yet? I know we're starting to get pictures of the fishing hut

16 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Have we heard anything about this or seen any pictures yet? I know we're starting to get pictures of the fishing hut

I forgot about this set 

It's been 9 months since it got approved and still nothing :sceptic:

20 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I forgot about this set 

It's been 9 months since it got approved and still nothing :sceptic:

My gosh, has it been that long? I know I've been waiting for a long time, but I didn't keep track of how long. That's crazy.

26 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

My gosh, has it been that long? I know I've been waiting for a long time, but I didn't keep track of how long. That's crazy.

IKR?

9 months... that's a whole pregnancy.

It seems it's easier to make a brand new human being than a LEGO set

Edited by Robert8

2 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

IKR?

:iamded_lol: I love this post.

I wonder if there are any lego designers who have been pregnant and could tell us which is easier? :tongue:

4 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

IKR?

I don't know if it's weird that you immediately connected that length of time to a pregnancy or if it's weird that I didn't.

I could be completely off on this but here goes...

The Space Center in Houston has a new Apollo 11 exhibit opening in October 2017 (Destination Moon) which also coincides with the Space Centers 25th anniversary (2017). Lego likes to do events... you never know.