Jakorin Swiftsword

Mount Up! The Targubol

The Targubol (Spiked-Tail Bison)

14865255936_af2c29c6b7_c.jpg

The Targubol, also known as the "Spiked-Tail Bison", is a rare breed of bison that lives deep in the Avalonian forest, very near to where Jakorin was raised.

It is because of this that he is so acquainted with them.

The Targubol is extremely heavy, and is covered a by thick hide of matted and twisted fur.

This makes them utterly protected against long range bow shots.

But despite this weight, they possess speed far beyond what some might expect.

Some have topped out a 20 miles per hour.

All these attributes make them a valuable battle worthy beast.

But the bison is weary of others not raised in the herd with them.

It took Jakorin 6 months to get his Targubol to trust him enough to ride him.

But it is this weariness that has driven the Targubol into hiding into Avalonia, and finding them is considered to much work to make them any use to Avalonian military.

But Jakorin has found great use in his new friend...

14865255696_e50541a62e_c.jpg

And there's my entry folks! It was kinda inspired by Aang's bison from Avatar: The Last Airbender, but then I threw in some Avalonian ingenuity and this is what I got. And come on, who hasn't thought about riding on a bison! :P And also a quick thanks to the mixel series eyes. They add the cuteness factor perfectly. Although don't say that to the Targubol! :P

Awesome mount but I think you're getting a bit carried away when you said that it's protected from arrows because of it's thick fur and rough hide. It is about two studs wide, maybe put some armor of the thing?

Nah, bisons are pretty tough! Nice mount, story too! Love it!

Yes, but they can't take arrows.

But if you shoot an arrow at things face, will it die? There's not way it can really thick hide on it's face.

I'm pretty sure that engaging a bison with the intent of headshooting it with an arrow, will turn out pretty ugly for the shooter. Arrows from a bow have less penetrating force than bolts fired from a crossbow, or bullets fired from a firearm.

Hey, cool mount. I really like its shape. Like the colors and base too.

Edited by mccoyed

I know this because I do archery myself but it depends on the poundage of the bow, if you will, along with arrows. If you have say a bow with a drawback of 30 pounds, you might as well be using a peashooter against a Bison. Assuming most of of GoH use Recurve Bows and/or Longbows, you need really strong wood if you want them to be more effective. As for Crossbows, I have no experience with them but I'm assuming the stronger the "string" is along with the nut, it'll be deadlier because it's holding more tension. Bolts also matter too. A rifle can obviously kill a Bison no problem but there are no guns in GoH. And that leads me to say that Native Americans killed Bison using Longbows and spears. But they also led them to cliffs where they fell to there death.

Anyways, I'm getting too carried away but I just hope this Bison isn't considered "Godly" in the sense arrows can't kill it... :hmpf_bad:

Lovely build - I really like how you went a completely different way than te legend beasts, for instance.

The base is just great, although the trees look rather fragile! :tongue:

And I truly doubt the skull of a bison would give in to an arrow... :grin:

Yes, but they can't take arrows.

But if you shoot an arrow at things face, will it die? There's not way it can really thick hide on it's face.

Hi Behemoth, I think we are all looking forward to your builds.

You have asked many questions about what you can and what you cannot claim for your own ideas about a civilisation.

This is the answer - if you can back something up with a build and a backstory, it is much more likely to be accepted. I would suggest you put your efforts into that, and lay a little low on contesting claims in the builds of others. We are all here to be creative and have fun. :wink:

And I truly doubt the skull of a bison would give in to an arrow... :grin:

You have asked many questions about what you can and what you cannot claim for your own ideas about a civilisation.

This is the answer - if you can back something up with a build and a backstory, it is much more likely to be accepted. I would suggest you put your efforts into that, and lay a little low on contesting claims in the builds of others. We are all here to be creative and have fun. :wink:

Easy fix - shoot it in the eye or nose! :tongue:

Also, you jest! :blush:

Or maybe you

Edited by Behemoth

Hehe such a cute and ugly little fella at the same time! I love him! Great work!

And we have dragons, orcs, dwarfs, elves, drows, magic etc in GoH so I think we can have a bison that can tolerate arrow shots but perhaps is more sensible to other weapons... :wink:

Edited by de Gothia

And we have dragons, orcs, dwarfs, elves, drows, magic etc in GoH so I think we can have a bison that can tolerate arrow shots but perhaps is more sensible to other weapons... :wink:

I hate it when your right... :laugh:

As long as a battleaxe could kill it, then I won't go absolutely insane.

Just to clear up any confusion, an arrow fired from a long bow, crossbow, or recurve bow from a short distance would surely harm the beast. Multiple from that same short distance would surely kill it. I meant that it would protect it during opposing enemy archer fire from a few football fields away during large army confrontations. Not to mention the sight of the beast might throw off their aim. ;P

Just to clear up any confusion, an arrow fired from a long bow, crossbow, or recurve bow from a short distance would surely harm the beast. Multiple from that same short distance would surely kill it. I meant that it would protect it during opposing enemy archer fire from a few football fields away during large army confrontations. Not to mention the sight of the beast might throw off their aim. ;P

Okay, NOW it makes a whole lot more sense to me, thank you for clearing it up!

I kind of want to see what it looks like when it's armored up, if that's possible! People have trusty steads but surely not a Bison! :grin:

I certainly plan on featuring him in other builds, so an armored Targubol is a great possiblity. :)

I look forward to it! I like people's custom mounts when they are used in battle, I'm not sure why but it can make for lots of possibilities.

I feel inspired to make my own mount but I don't have the mixel joints I need for my idea. :angry:

Sweet build Jakorin and great entry! Good use of SNOT to add some texture to the beast's sides and the overall shape seems very natural. Nice little base too. Also, wonderful photography! I definitely look forward to your future contributions to the guilds. I don't think you stretch the imagination by claiming this animal would be largely impervious to arrows, and especially its head. The mating behaviors of an animal like less would probably involve males bashing heads to win the approval of females, so think skulls are certainly needed. If anyone really needs a real-life example, take the cape buffalo, whose incredibly tough skull can withstand anything but a high-powered rifle round (we're talking like .375 H&H type stuff and up). But now I just feel like I'm helping to steer (pun not intended) this topic off course.

Nicely said Bregir!

Edited by MassEditor

I certainly plan on featuring him in other builds, so an armored Targubol is a great possiblity. :)

I definitely planned to build an armored chobo, too. And a chobo laden with goods to sell. And a chobo made of icecream. All the chobos. Forever...

Nicely said Bregir!

I do try my best. *bows* :wink:

Edited by Bregir

Nice!! I like its head and overall body shape. The studded sides make me thing of thick, tangled, gnarly fur. I can easily imaging it being helpful against arrows( the way I imagine it is a really thick layer of tough skin and then inches of tough dense fur, more like those a pad of thick ropes all tangled together with skin like tough leather behind it)

Also is its spiked tail like a weapon( and hard/ pointy) or is it just shaped like a spike?

Great entry and lovely presentation! This mini-challenge sure is inspiring some great ideas....

Great entry and lovely presentation! This mini-challenge sure is inspiring some great ideas....

It actually does give me some inspiration too.

Edited by Behemoth