Jim

[MT] Technic Model Team Contest - Information Topic

Digital Entries  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Allow digital entries for this competition only?

The poll seems to be very clear about it. I will wait till wednesday, but it looks like the rules will remain the same.

For me it's a NO for regular contests, but most of us probaly don't have a lot of bricks to make a proper creation. Therefor I think it might be interesting to allow digital builds as an exception to the rule.

Why is this competition exceptional? Won't there be more model team competitions in the future?

Anyhow. I'd be against digital entries, I still feel it is hard to compare the two in a voting system. I also think that without building something in real life one wouldn't find possible errors in the digital model. At least every time I created a model digitally, when I recreated it with real bricks there were things that didn't fit, or that didn't work etc. When a model is built with real bricks at least we can be sure that everything fits, everything can be actually put together (no impossible constructions), everything stays together, all parts exist, etc.

Also, it just won't be a level playing field - the medium (photograph vs. digital) will affect some voters, one way or the other.

Also, those who don't have many parts can build small models. I do like to point out that what I really disliked about the previous copmetition is that the real mini models - those of about 100 parts - got almost no votes - everyone seemes to have voted for quantity of functions/looks/details, rather than quality. If the previous competition is representative for this one, small models just won't stand a chance against bigger models. I think the voting criteria should be adjusted for that in some way.

What fi we also limit parts number here too so some 200 so we kind of level the builders?

With MT style of building, you really need more parts to make something. Much different than studless Technic.

To me, rules posted by Jim are perfect.

Jim - many Model Team builds use studded Technic bricks, that are even studs in length, how about changing the maximum dimensions to 46x16 so as to better accommodate Technic bricks rather than Technic beams?

Jim - many Model Team builds use studded Technic bricks, that are even studs in length, how about changing the maximum dimensions to 46x16 so as to better accommodate Technic bricks rather than Technic beams?

How about you guys simpy use 44x14 as the limit :wink:

A common width in MT is 12, so I am already being generous :tongue:

Thanks a lot, I've got something at 75 x 17 which needs some work on the length, I was hoping for an unfair advantage on the width, so more work for me :tongue: .

I'll shoot for 44x14- does this include fat balloon tires, or can they overhang a bit?

I'll shoot for 44x14- does this include fat balloon tires, or can they overhang a bit?

I don't mind the tires sticking out a stud or two.

I don't mind the tires sticking out a stud or two.

Copy and paste form first page...:)

What about small short Gif as a supplement for presentation of the model, basically showing functions in just a few seconds? Besides video and pictures.

It is hard to choice, I don´t have bricks so I like the LDD idea but I like to see the real MOC but a lot of people won´t have enough pieces to build a decent MT... I like the LD idea. I don´t like GIF for MOCs is better a video, I have seen GIFs of MOCs that don´t work yet.

Edited by jorgeopesi

It is hard to choice, I don´t have bricks so I like the LDD idea but I like to see the real MOC but a lot of people won´t have enough pieces to build a decent MT... I like the LD idea.

How about we split it into an official part (brick built) and a separate fun part (digitally built)?

I love this contest Jim, bud for shipbuilding in 15 studs wide is the scale 1/90 a 16 studs wide hull is a better solution for me. Is this mayby possible Jim?!

How about we split it into an official part (brick built) and a separate fun part (digitally built)?

I don´t know Jim, I won´t buy bricks even if I had the perfect model, I like to participate with LDD and see if the brick engages me. The other reason is in my opinion better, there are a lot of people with enough Technic to build a 200 pieces MOC but how many bricks could have a 15x45 studs MOC?, the colors and details are the most important thing. I think digitally could be worth if it were properly checked by someone.

I love this contest Jim, bud for shipbuilding in 15 studs wide is the scale 1/90 a 16 studs wide hull is a better solution for me. Is this mayby possible Jim?!

This sounds like a well founded argument. If you promise to enter the contest with a newly built ship, I will increase the dimensions to 46x16 :wink:

I do feel the need to raise the following question; will you be building something like this, because I don't think it will qualify as Model Team.

13129960933_88db490d3d_c.jpg

I don´t know Jim, I won´t buy bricks even if I had the perfect model, I like to participate with LDD and see if the brick engages me. The other reason is in my opinion better, there are a lot of people with enough Technic to build a 200 pieces MOC but how many bricks could have a 15x45 studs MOC?, the colors and details are the most important thing. I think digitally could be worth if it were properly checked by someone.

Like mentioned earlier, an MT model needs more bricks. So let's stick to the dimension limit.

Can I propose something?

Well, I understand the winners deserve a prize, but I feel like those MT models you Jim are offering to us are too much! I mean, they could be part of your childhood, part of you, of your memories!

If I was the winner of this contest I would refuse it, I would feel so sorry and sad for you to get rid of them and donate to me! So if everybody agrees, we could find a different solution, like a contest without any prize, or maybe a symbolic LITTLE MODEL CREATOR!

The poll seems to be very clear about it. I will wait till wednesday, but it looks like the rules will remain the same.

The popular opinion seems to be against digital building, so it seems I might join just for fun (provided I can actually build something :classic: )

The problem with actual building is, at least for me, it's very hard to obtain parts. I live in Turkey and lego shop does not ship here. And for bricklink, shipping costs are high, also there is the question of if it will be able to pass through customs without a problem since we are still not in EU. There are shops based in Turkey, but their parts catalogs are very limited.

The most feasible and cost effective way to obtain parts is to buy new sets, but it may be costly to buy numerous sets, just to gather some specific parts.

Can I propose something?

Well, I understand the winners deserve a prize, but I feel like those MT models you Jim are offering to us are too much! I mean, they could be part of your childhood, part of you, of your memories!

If I was the winner of this contest I would refuse it, I would feel so sorry and sad for you to get rid of them and donate to me! So if everybody agrees, we could find a different solution, like a contest without any prize, or maybe a symbolic LITTLE MODEL CREATOR!

Thanks for the proposal, but there's no need to worry. I've acquired these sets especially for this contest, so they are not part of my childhood memories.

But I like the fact that you mentioned it :thumbup:

The popular opinion seems to be against digital building, so it seems I might join just for fun (provided I can actually build something :classic: )

Just build something digitally and post it for fun. That's exactly what I proposed earlier.

Use this tag for Model Team Digital

[MTD]

Thanks Jim.

With 16 studs wide is for ship building in a scale 1/87 and is still a small scale :laugh: .

I think you mean that the inside off the ship has to be made with technic bricks and functions like working ruthers, propellors, winches and cranes (manual).?!

I do feel the need to raise the following question; will you be building something like this, because I don't think it will qualify as Model Team.

Jim, could you please, make some suggestion to make it look more like model team? Does it lack some details? It is not vehicle. And if it is 1/90 scale, details are difficult to make since bricks are not small enough. Or is it missing some functionality? I am trying to learn, where the model team starts.

Edited by hrontos

Jim, could you please, make some suggestion to make it look more like model team? Does it lack some details? It is not vehicle. And if it is 1/90 scale, details are difficult to make since bricks are not small enough. Or is it missing some functionality? I trying to learn, where the model team starts.

Your words are better than mine, thanks hrontos :thumbup:

I do feel the ship on the picture lacks some Technic functionality.

But looking at the picture below, I doubt the sea jet has more functions than your ship Edwin.

14702351210_c3f359c7f5_c.jpg

I see it has moving engines, but that's about it:

11290.jpg

I did mention that I wouldn't be overly critical about the entries. So Edwin, please make sure your entry has some functions :sweet::thumbup:

I will increase the dimension limit to 46x16.

Are chromed bricks allowed? As in having bricks chromed by a company, etc...

I believe that they are only allowed if they were available from Lego :classic:

Are chromed bricks allowed? As in having bricks chromed by a company, etc...

• No chrome unless it's official LEGO

I believe that they are only allowed if they were available from Lego :classic:

Indeed.