LEGO TECHNIC= design, looking, functions, all in one at it's best.

LEGO CREATOR= less looking with few funtions. (or moveble parts....rather then functions)

MODEL TEAM= more looking, and few/none funtions.

With this definition somehow also LEGO Architecture or Modular Buildings etc. models fall into Model Team category.

And with this definition of LEGO Technic, concept models of advanced mechanics that explain how things are working but are not packed in such a good design will be no longer LEGO Technic.

What I'm saying is that TLG won't reintroduce the Model Team as a theme since they have the Creator line. So I think there's need for another category.

Maybe Creator Export should be the replacement of Model Team.

With this definition somehow also LEGO Architecture or Modular Buildings etc. models fall into Model Team category.

And with this definition of LEGO Technic, concept models of advanced mechanics that explain how things are working but are not packed in such a good design will be no longer LEGO Technic.

Exactly!

Creator

Creator Modular

Creator Architecture

Creator Expert

Or why not for instance: inside of the lego CREATOR there could be a small number of sets that can be like "collection sets", or "anniversary sets", special sets with one tag more: EXPERT.

But It won't be a part...it will simply be a more special version of the CREATOR theme.

Don't we have a creator expert line already? :look:

Yeah we do. That's why I mentioned it :tongue:

But it contains a wide variety of models.

I don't think Creator (even at Expert level, with some little exceptions) is equal to Model Team. Model Team was more realated to Technic then Creator is. I would define Model Team as a set with studded chassis, little Technic functions (like steering) and a beautiful design using System bricks.

I don't think Creator (even at Expert level, with some little exceptions) is equal to Model Team. Model Team was more realated to Technic then Creator is. I would define Model Team as a set with studded chassis, little Technic functions (like steering) and a beautiful design using System bricks.

What about the MINI?

And what about this Creator set:

5893-1.jpg

This has more functions than most of the Model Team sets :tongue:

I think that Model Team is a large scale LEGO set that looks like a real object and has functions like LEGO technic sets. Creator sets have different scale - there are large and minifugure scale sets. Mini and that blue pickup truck could be Model Team sets but Parisian Restaurant- NO WAY!

And what about this Creator set:

This has more functions than most of the Model Team sets :tongue:

This set looks like also somebody in TLG is also missing Model Team line. :classic:

It not enough technic to be Technic.

It is too big and too complex for some standard City line models.

So they put it into Creator range.

Sometimes Creator looks like "what do not fit anywhere, will end up as a Creator, since the designer was too creative and did not stayed within any theme boundaries". :laugh:

Edited by hrontos

Creator is too far from what MT used to be. I think they should start adding steering to Creator Expert vehicles and sell them as Model Team - leaving Creator Expert label for non-vehicle models. Tada!

Model team models had that...feeling about them, they were more serious than creator. The details as other said were a step higher and the models feel more complete...In creator there are more compromises and less details.

Model team models had that...feeling about them, they were more serious than creator. The details as other said were a step higher and the models feel more complete...In creator there are more compromises and less details.

Yes, this is true. When you hold a Creator model, it feels like a toy. When you hold a model team model, it feels more like a model than a toy.

Creator fall more in a toy range and Model Team more in model hobby range.

I admit, that some older Model Team models are more studded than some of recent creator models, but studs themselves do not give them the toy like feeling. May be the selected color schemas for Creator is making it look more like a toy.

What about the MINI?

As i said there are some exceptions, the MINI is one of them :grin: . As for the Creator Set, it is nice, it may have functions but it is nowhere near as good as a Model Team set, it looks childish.

I always thought of Model Team as models for children to build that replicated the detail of a real model similar to something that you would buy from Monogram-Revell or Testors but of course without the glue. There are and have been many hobby shop models that had simple working steering along with the opening doors, hood, etc. Maybe this is what Lego's intended purpose for them was?

Edited by Meatman

As i said there are some exceptions, the MINI is one of them :grin: . As for the Creator Set, it is nice, it may have functions but it is nowhere near as good as a Model Team set, it looks childish.

If mini was model team it would have steering and chrome.

I always wondered why Model Team was lumped in with Technic Forum... System brick based Model Team IMO is cool enough to have it's own forum...

MT is certainly cool enough to have a forum, but I don't think we really have the traffic to support a separate forum just for that. I like to think of the "Technic, MIndstorms, Model Team" forum like "advanced building" and then they all fit together nicely.

When I first joined this forum a couple of years ago I struggled a bit where to put my models/creations.

I would define them more as MT than Technic. But even so they maybe could fall into the Creator category aswell.

Just for example:

Softtail_09.jpg

There has been a fair bit of defining going on in this thread during the day, and also some really good suggestions on how to separate/pair the categories - forum-wise,

I would define model team as being highly detailed and large models (for their time), often utilizing more advanced building techniques and is aimed at slightly older children. It's hard to compare to creator because creator sets are usually less detailed and more for younger children than model team but it has some exceptions like the upcoming mini cooper which is very much like model team.

I would add that Model Team is more about machines than any other LEGO models. There are many detailed and well scaled models of buildings or other structures, but I do not count them as Model Team models, since they are not models of machines.

In Model Team the form and look have higher priority than functions.

Concerning the Creator series: I am not sure which Creator models would fall on a Technic side. If by functions, there are only very few that reach level of technic models. There are also some City sets that have some Technic inside. And some even larger Creator machines have less technic functionality than some city sets.

For me the most technic Creator model was the Monster Dino 4398. I would like to see more such Creator/Technic models.

My take on Model Team was back in the days (and still is): very detailed models with steering and/or other minor use of technic parts, but being mostly build from normal Lego bricks.

I always wondered why Model Team was lumped in with Technic Forum... System brick based Model Team IMO is cool enough to have it's own forum...

Model team is primarily basic steering functioned detailed realistic looking models that are larger than minifigure scale..

The below arguments are the essence for me.

Highly detailed, realistic vehicles

Larger than minifig scale

Some basic/a few technic functions

There are a coplue of released Lego-sets that could be placed in both MT and Creator, and some that would'nt fit in either category. I would say that there are many, many mocs around (just take a look at Mocpages, Flickr, The Brothers-Brick or THe Lego Car Blog) that would fit this category though. Even so, you dont see very many on this forum - the question is why?

I think Jim has raised a very important question with his take on the Model Teams, to be or not to be in the Technic forum.

I do think we need a separate forum for creations like I've mentioned above, because now they disappear in the present categories;

This forum and the Technic Special Forum, sub - creator. (I never understood this subforum at all to be honest)

Personally I think Eurobricks would benefit with a Creator Vehicle/Model Team - forum.

Edited by Jonsson

Looking at the Model Team models in Interceptor's great collection, I can't help but think that most of these models have a single feature, which is steering. There's even a powerboat, which has ... features?

Thank you Jim. :classic: But regarding the functions: beside the steering there are usually many openable parts on MT models: doors, trunk (5541) hood (5571, 5580, 5591) motorcover (5540, 5542, 5581) adjustable engines (5521, 5581) and I could play with 5591 jet carrier for hours considering the functions packed in the trailer to launch the small jet. Adjustable windscreen wipers, rearview mirrors, moon roofs. Turnable steering wheels (sometimes direct connection to rack and pinion steering). Even Technic Unimog from 2011 lacks some of these...but of course that one has other great functions. Adjustable rear wing on 5561. Suspension imitation on 5580.

But thats just perhaps my enthusiasm. My LEGO passion started with 5580 and MT has a special place in my collection. MT and Creator are different lines with different purposes and Creator is not equal to MT by many aspects. Fortunately, because that is why I have no intention to expand my MT collection. :devil:

Edited by Interceptor

MT is certainly cool enough to have a forum, but I don't think we really have the traffic to support a separate forum just for that. I like to think of the "Technic, MIndstorms, Model Team" forum like "advanced building" and then they all fit together nicely.

I agree. Actually, the reason I asked was not to separate MT from Technic, but I was thinking of giving MT some special attention in the near future. But in order to do that, I need to know what the definition of MT is :wink:

I think that we've come to the conclusion that there's a thin line between past MT and some of the Creator models. Currenlty I think of present MT (if this would exist) as a Technic model with a "brick bodywork" or "brick finish". And the model should have more technical functions than moving parts (opening the door on the MINI for example).

To make things more complicated; how about a Mindstorms creation with a brick built bodywork :laugh:

To make things more complicated; how about a Mindstorms creation with a brick built bodywork :laugh:

:laugh: For me the Mindstorms takes it to a completely different level, so from that moment it is a Mindstorms model, no matter how nice MT style looking shape it will have.

MT is actually like SW UCS, but for regular vehicles.

I hardly see how the Creator shown above could be considered as MT. Some Creator Expert sets are very close to the MT spirit (10220, 10242, and... that's all).

Their details and accuracy even goes beyond old MT. They have no steering, but this is the price to pay for more accuracy. Steering on 10220 and 10242 would ruin their look.

And as far as I remember, not all MT sets had mechanisms.

You are mistaking here.

The photo on the box of a Creator (or any set) is a photo. It is photoshoped to clean it, but it is a photo, not a render.

http://shop.lego.com...uad-turbo-31022

I think most of the modern Creator sets are in fact photos, including that one. However, the 4955 and 4993 images posted earlier definitely look like renders, and I remember several others like 4996 like that in the past. The seams between bricks are more visible than usual and transparent pieces look different. Maybe it was only the Creator stuff from a particular time period.

I think there are not enough pure Model Team creations or other possible topics to justify its own forum. Most of the Model Team creations posted were full radio-controlled, sometimes with a lot of additional functions, and then it makes sense to keep a combined Technic-Model Team(-Mindstorms) forum.

As for the difference between Model Team and Creator, I think - like others said - that Model Team is more 'serious' than Creator. Even the Mini looks cartoonish compared to Steven Marshall's one. But even without the chrome parts some mentioned there were some differences. If you compare the Creator 4955 Big Rig (2007) with the Model Team 5580 Highway Rig (1986), it seems the latter is more detailed. The 4955 doesn 't have an openable engine room as far as I know. The details available look less correct to the real deal. But I think it has to do with what the sets were supposed to be. Creator sets had to have three reasonable models, while Model Team clearly focused on one great model. Every set (with the exception of the 2556 Ferrari promotional) had an alternate model, but they usually were not that great. Maybe that explains why there are very few Creator sets with working steering.

Model Team sets were the most realistic available in the day and made the full potential out of the bricks available back then. Creator not so much I think.

Model Team sets were the most realistic available in the day and made the full potential out of the bricks available back then. Creator not so much I think.

This is something I've always thought of when defining the MT sets ... they were the flagships of the day. One great model that was designed to be built and stay built, as a display piece. Not to be broken down and rebuilt as an (often) inferior B model.

I'm not sure what TLG would now class as their overall flagship models. Maybe some of the bigger creator sets have taken on that role?