Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi 2014 Pictures and Rumors

Walkie talkie, a couple of brick-built yellow barrels, some other bits and bobs.

How accurate does this one look?

XJfz9tI.png

Meets the part count exactly.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

Not bad. The butt wheels look too big (may just be perspective), the tiles on top of the feet should be grilles, the turtle shell should be the same colour as his feet, and it looks like you're missing the hose from the back of the exo.

Also, only two yellow barrels :D

Edited by 0ldScratch

Not bad. The butt wheels look too big (may just be perspective), the tiles on top of the feet should be grilles, the turtle shell should be the same colour as his feet, and it looks like you're missing the hose from the back of the exo.

Also, only two yellow barrels :D

I think the wheels are too big, but I can't find the smaller version in LDD (same with the hoses). I'll make the other changes though, the pieces that I don't have accounted for probably go inside the arms or in the torso, as there are no good shots of those. Thanks for the tips!

Looks great, and that was a wonderful video. Hopefully Hothbricks is right on the price of $34, since that would be great. I'm not a major Si-Fi fan, but this set comes with some great things, specifically the minifigures, who I think will fit in well color wise with the older spacemen (Since it's not a "new" color, green has been around for a long time).

This is a great set, just LOVE it.

Green spacemen are cool, I have always wanted green airtanks.

I've just worked out a very small theory about the minifig included and the colour it is.

Basically, at the start of the video teaser there is a test card showing 6 colours. These colours are White, red, yellow, black, blue, and green. You're probably thinking "But they're just colours on a test card Ayliffe, they're not important." But they really are important. You see, all of the colours on here represent all the different coloured classic spacemen that TLG have released in the 70's and 80's. All except GREEN. Furthermore, when these colours become different shades of grey, the shade of gray that green becomes matches exactly the shade of grey on the spacemen.

So yeah, the minifigs included with the set are pretty much guaranteed to be Green.

That was just way too clever. :laugh:

The designer appears to be answering questions about the set on their reddit account, here's what they had to say about the barrel:

More on the barrel:

In Pete's version each part of the lower arm is connected to the next by a single stud - this makes it very prone to breaking. For the LEGO version I needed to run a connecting part through the middle to strengthen this construction. The Friends bowl and a lightsaber blade element was a lovely solution but the transition to a technic cross axle for the elbow made the arm very long (too long) but working together with Pete we came up with hiding this transition inside the barrel. Wish we could have turned it light grey/silver though!

It's been awesome having our questions answered by the designer of this set on Reddit. It's given me such an insight in to the production of an official Lego model! =)

You could be onto sometihng...

If you've ever seen Pete's custom fig's you would know he's fond of the idea of a green classic space man.

https://www.flickr.c...57606922344130/

According to the designer of this Exo Suit this is the reason they went with Green(though Pete Reid's love it was also a reason). Here is the quote from Reddit:

Given the limitations (the 'assembly' of the minifigure torso had to already be in present production with the same colour body, arms and hands, and I could add a new print) there were three possible choices for this classic spaceman colour: blue, because of Benny, this seemed too obvious, black, due to numerous minifigures (Darth Vader etc.) but that blended in to the mech too much, or a new colour, green, thanks to ninja-turtles.

Pete has had a green decal CS man he made himself for years and I always liked it, so I suggested we go for green to him. He was all over it! So we both pushed for the green.

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/29tas5/lego_ideas_exosuit_finally_revealed/cioip91

Edited by Tech Artist

Green makes sense then. It is interesting choice since it is a new color for a classic space man.

This just shows how little Lego are willing to spend on these set, they couldn't do a white spaceman because the parts were not there but yet they can do one for a promo, very odd and the barrel need a color change but no money for that. I feel sorry for the designers on ideas set. But I have to say they did a great job.

Is there any particular meaning to the classic spacesuit colors? Apparently, "green" is for the salvage team aka garbage collectors. So exo-suit = dump truck?

If it helps any it looks like the color assignment in Peter Reid's Lego Space continuity goes something like this

White = ground crew and ground vehicles

Red = Pilots and flight crew

Blue = hostile Environment Engineers (ie terraforming, mining, planetary exploration)

Yellow = scientists

Black = special forces

In the pictures of the Exo Suit in the book, while it is piloted by a White Suited ground tech, there are several Red Suited Flight crew around it.

With this in mind, Green might mean something along the lines of salvage operations. Though they just found the Exo Suits sitting in the base, so their color doesn't really indicate the purpose of the Exo Suit.

Well my plans for ordering a light gray barrel might have just gone up in smoke if this is true(from Designer on Reddit Exo Suit Thread):

Yes - there was a very limited number of colour changes that could be made. The grey barrels in the two sets you list are the 'old' brownish light grey before it was changed in 2004ish, so unfortunately even if people want to swap out the ones on the Exo-Suit it won't match.

Any colour change is likely to be deleted about two years after it was last used in a production set and this one is long gone.

The binoculars are a nice detail part and it had just been changed to light grey by another project so I thought I'd use them - the places I put them looked very bare/plain without them and less detailed parts didn't stay true to the spirit of Pete's original.

http://www.reddit.co...evealed/cip0v9z :sad:

Anyone know if this is indeed true? Or would it be possible to perhaps mod the piece(though that would make it not Lego Official so I dunno)?

With this in mind, Green might mean something along the lines of salvage operations. Though they just found the Exo Suits sitting in the base, so their color doesn't really indicate the purpose of the Exo Suit.

But if that was the case then why, like FaeFrost pointed out, is it originally piloted by a white Minifig in Reid's universe(if White are Ground Vehicles then this makes sense)?

Edited by Tech Artist

Brickset just posted a comparison picture with Peter Reid's original Exo Suit and the final model:

14577531012_0e328584b2_c.jpg

The new version is huuuuge! :grin:

When I heard about this, I thought for sure that I would hate it. But I am pleasantly surprised! :wub_drool: I like the design, it reminds me of a StarWars walker, or the Mantis from the Halo series. Very nice, I still need to decide between this, Ghostbusters and BTTF. :wacko:

Wow! I like the set more than the proposal! The design team did an awesome job on this, and the teasers were a great way to reveal it!

Anyone know if this is indeed true? Or would it be possible to perhaps mod the piece(though that would make it not Lego Official so I dunno)?

According to bricklink, the barrels appeared only twice in light bley in 2004, and once in old light grey, in the first UCS X-Wing (so no need to tell you how expensive they are). I figured out a more "modern" alternative (which still makes use of dark bley parts, but it'll be anyways impossible to totally get rid of it without heavy modding), though :

exo-su11.png

About the set itself, I really like it. I was a bit afraid when I saw the teaser pictures, but now I'm sure I will buy it as soon as it's available. It's indeed different from Peter Reid's MOC, which doesn't mean it's worse. I feel the cockpit area could be a bit more detailed, but beside that I love it.

Edited by Leewan

According to bricklink, the barrels appeared only twice in light bley in 2004, and once in old light grey, in the first UCS X-Wing (so no need to tell you how expensive they are). I figured out a more "modern" alternative (which still makes use of dark bley parts, but it'll be anyways impossible to totally get rid of it without heavy modding), though :

About the set itself, I really like it. I was a bit afraid when I saw the teaser pictures, but now I'm sure I will buy it as soon as it's available. It's indeed different from Peter Reid's MOC, which doesn't mean it's worse. I feel the cockpit area could be a bit more detailed, but beside that I love it.

You might have to change the way the arms are built significantly if you want to make your design as stable as the one in the set. The ones in the set (by my understanding) have a core constructed of a three-module Technic axle and a four-module lightsaber blade, connected by a Technic connector inside the barrel and bowl. Your solution may be slightly looser, which would be fine for display (like the original proposal) but seems like it'd be slightly flimsier for posing and play.

Yeah, this solution isn't the smartest, so I reworked it a bit :

exo-su12.png

I got rid of all the unnecessary SNOT, and used a Bar 6L going all the way through the arm to strengthen the structure (and attach the SNOTted bowl part). Now it shouldn't be less stable than the original solution. :sweet:

Brickset just posted a comparison picture with Peter Reid's original Exo Suit and the final model:

The new version is huuuuge! :grin:

Awesome comparison, I think this Lego Ideas set will be the most popular so far and I really like the way it come out in the end design.

Ofcourse it is some diffrent from the original design but in my opinion it looks cool and a bit bigger is always better, I am gonna get two of these, as I did with the Ghostbusters set.

I like the green spaceman, I could had also taken an white one but green is good. Hopefuly TLG would bring back some more classic space sets now.

Wow, love it! Going to have to buy at least a couple, though, for the green minifigs!