Sign in to follow this  
der seb

Rubic's Cube

indexed.gif

Hi

I'm new in this forum and to introduce myself I wanted to show you a MOC I made in january.

There are already versions of the Rubic's Cube, e.g. from Maarten Steurbaut, but the have difficulties with the size and the gaps that appears from the weight.

It works, but...

* It weighs approximately 3 kilogram (over 6 pound) !

* It is very difficult to handle (12x12x12 studs instead of 24x24x24 would be much better).

* The axes in the centre are not strong enough to hold everything together: gaps appear, big enough for corner- and middle- pieces to drop.

So I tried to build it my own way, with a scale that is nearer to the original cube. The result has a thickness of 17 plates and looks like this:

rubik18.jpg

(sorry for the bad pictures. While I built it my mother went to holiday with the digicam...)

The Cube in its parts:

rubik01.jpg

The Cube consist of:

- 8 corners

rubik05.jpg

- 12 edges

rubik04.jpg

- and the central link

rubik02.jpg

Maarten Steurbaut used this link:

Centre-s.jpg

I did it another way, by using this two pieces:

48723.1124081450.jpg + 30374.png

= rubik03.jpg

So, how to build the cube?

First you have to place the four edges below, ...

rubik07.jpg

rubik08.jpg

... then the 4 below corners ...

rubik09.jpg

rubik10.jpg

... and after that you have to place the midlle edges.

rubik11.jpg

rubik12.jpg

At the end the other 4 corners and edges + the blue 2x2 tile.

rubik13.jpg

rubik14.jpg

Done

rubik15.jpg

rubik16.jpg

Result:

The cube works, but there are some problems when you try to contort the cube. The black and brown slopes will contact and cut out each other

Sebastian

Very ingenious!

I'm impressed! I couldn't make up a cube design myself!

Also a good idea to introduce yourself with such a fantastic creation. Welcome!

Well done.

Cube on!

Mr Tiber

Amazing!

That must have been a lot of nerve-wrecking work putting such a complicated model together! 8-

Very cool! *y* *y* I've made cubes like these before, but the layers didn't rotate like this one! There's an effective design using only these bricks and the tiles for the outside. In this case, you would use at most one hundred and eight.

I also fixed your 'Maarten Steurbaut' link for you. ;-)

Very ingenious! Great work!

God Bless,

Nathan

Very ingenious!

I'm impressed! I couldn't make up a cube design myself!

Also a good idea to introduce yourself with such a fantastic creaton. Welcome!

Well done.

Cube on!

Mr Tiber

Thanks

Amazing!

That must have been a lot of nerve-wrecking work putting such a complicated model together! 8-

Thats really amazing. Really really cute Rubic's Cube!

-Aredhel

Repeating what others have said but i've gotta say it too:

Nice MOC! *y*

Great way to introduce yourself. This is pretty creative in innovative.

P

This is a very cool Moc great job looks just as it should.

Thanks guys :-)

I just added another picture where you can see the distorted cube

rubik18.jpg

WOW, untill now I thought it's impossible to create this. |-/ You proved me wrong! *y*

A great MOC. *sweet* .

Hello, der seb, welcome to EB. :-)

This is a very nice creation, and very clever. Even with all your pictures of the inside, I still can't figure out how it works. *wacko* Great job!

Very good *y*

I have stil some older rubics cubes from the 80's at home. Never made well, but Iconical

Thanks for fixing.

It's my pleasure! :-)

The problem with the headlight-piece is, that there would be an gap of a half plate. To prevent I used this piece: 47905.gif

Yes. It would seem to you, like many others, that the headlight piece is virtually useless to connect any bricks with a base bigger than 1x1. This is so because the indentation prevents the brick from laying flush with the wall.

dsc00986.jpg

However, there is a secret. You need to think outside the box. ;-) When four bricks are arranged as such, they interlock in a square shape. (I apologize for the blurriness)

dsc00989.jpg

When this design is replicated using another four bricks and attached as such, they interlock in a cube shape.

dsc00991.jpg

At this stage, the pieces can fit together modularly in cubic tessellations as large as you like them, and you can tile 'em up. With 27 (9x3) of the modular cubes, you can make a 100% solid, non-functioning Rubix cube.

dsc00993.jpg

Hello, der seb, welcome to EB. :-)

This is a very nice creation, and very clever. Even with all your pictures of the inside, I still can't figure out how it works. *wacko* Great job!

Maybe this will help you ;-)

Very good *y*

I have stil some older rubics cubes from the 80's at home. Never made well, but Iconical

This was the reason why I built my own cube. Now I can rebuild it when I run out of steam :-D

Brilliant!

Thank You :-)

It's my pleasure! :-)

Yes. It would seem to you, like many others, that the headlight piece is virtually useless to connect any bricks with a base bigger than 1x1. This is so because the indentation prevents the brick from laying flush with the wall.

This was the problem I mentioned

However, there is a secret. You need to think outside the box. ;-) When four bricks are arranged as such, they interlock in a square shape. (I apologize for the blurriness)

When this design is replicated using another four bricks and attached as such, they interlock in a cube shape.

I also know that

At this stage, the pieces can fit together modularly in cubic tessellations as large as you like them, and you can tile 'em up. With 27 (9x3) of the modular cubes, you can make a 100% solid, non-functioning Rubix cube.

Yes, It is NOT working, but I wanted it to work. Also you would need 208 headlight pieces to make a complete solid cube (if you leave out the innermost cube)

For non working cubes I prefer this one from Industrialdesigner:

rubiks_cube.jpg

I like the gaps between the parts