mccoyed

WotB Yukar Clan (Nocturnus Expatriates)

(A small build squeezed in as a break from the Hold Fast... more pics on my flickr)

The Yukar are a culturally sophisticated warrior society from the Southern Rakath Mountains. They are orcish in origin, but see little of common culture with many of the other orcish tribes they've encountered, let alone other Nocturnians. Displaced by the civil war in Nocturnus, they have become Nomadic and have recently been traveling West. In their travels across Kaliphlin, they have heard rumors of a battle brewing in the Wither Woods.

Lacking any allies or sponsorship in any of the lands they've been crossing, a contingent of the Yukar, led by a warchief called Hataman, leaves the main Yukar caravan with a number of his closest retainers.

UoP Credits Claimed:

Trade and Law: Caravan

Anthropology: Tribal Scene

Geography: Desert (disregard)

Minifig Posing.

14051562904_1c77f296ef_o.jpg

Pictured: Hataman, warchief of the Yukar, and his favorite drake Ainu.

14027981796_4863ecbfc0_z.jpg

Pictured: Yukar warband traveling on an old road.

Hataman hopes that fighting for Petera will earn his people important allies and status in Historica. Meanwhile, the caravan his men left behind is searching for some small parcel of land where they can start over. There was talk of swinging north to Mitgardia, but it is Hataman's hope that this will be unnecessary as his people are not accustomed to cold climates. If the war goes well for him, he may be able to buy or fight his way into lands more friendly to the Yukar lifestyle.

14071130523_3fba4c10f3_o.jpg

Pictured: Yukar supply wagon carrying food, water, and arms.

Yukar bladesmiths practice traditions that are centuries old and few outsiders have ever seen or handled a Yukar sword. Hataman managed to have a number made for his campaign, which he plans to offer to Petera as a tribute and symbolic token of the value of the Yukar to any new alliances forged in the aftermath of the War of the Brothers.

To ensure that they are not taken for bandits or common mercenaries, the Yukar flies the Nocturnus colors alongside their own standard.

14051563814_964a8d0066_o.jpg

Pictured: Another angle of the Yukar march. Emphasis on Nocturnus banner and Yukar standard carried by Hataman's standard-bearer, Atlak.

Edited by mccoyed

I Agree with the samurai feel, we dont see armies like that often.. It looks inderesting!

Great figs- you can really feel the distinctive aspects of their culture through their apparel. Might go to bricklink to get some of those red hoods and hats!

Thanks guys. The hats come from Ninjago, actually. I have an abundance of LOTR/Hobbit orcs, Ninjago stuff, and katanas so this all fit naturally I guess. That said, I do wish I had some of the old Castle orc heads as they have a more neutral expression. These guys are pretty evil looking.

Thanks, guys. This was a very quick build once I had the minifigs ironed out. The longest I took was on the wagon. I'm very happy with it in spite of its simplicity. Especially the winding road base. I'm glad everyone is commenting on that!

The irregular base really helps highlight the caravan look of the build :thumbup: Cool figs as well :classic:

Thanks all. Next time I will try more complex landscaping to compliment my fig creations.

Great minifigures I really like this eastern/asian style and they remind me a bit of the old ninja/samurai sets from the 90s, which were great by the way.

Good work with the irregular base, it turned out really nice! Got some good minifigure combos there as well!

I'll give you credit for tribal scene, minifig posing, and caravan. However, since the base is mostly rock, I can't really see giving credit for desert. Also, it would be nice if you edited your post with the credits you want.

Very distinctive faction, mccoyed! I really like the figure combinations. (What is the bridle piece btw, is it from the friends sets?) The irregular base really conveys the feel of them travelling along some narrow mountain pass or rough terrain. This is awesome, but is kind of at odds with your UoP claim of desert geography, so i'll have to pass on giving you that credit. Happy to give you +1 for the others though. :thumbup:

Thanks Kai and Gabe. I agree that "desert" was pushing it here, but there was no category for road! Oh well! Next time.

@Gabe: the bridle piece is from a custom shop. I can't remember which. Maybe Brickforge, BrickArms or BrickWarriors.

Some UoP Credits for the edit: +1 for Anthropology, Trade and Law, and Minifig posing

Now those are some cool figs right there! I love the irregular base, great little scene!