The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

8 minutes ago, DuckBricks said:

Huh, this is really interesting. Usually with these November re-releases, we either get a pretty old set (Taj Mahal) or a set that was previously very exclusive and unavailable to the general public (Vestas Wind Turbine). I understand with the Saturn V, but did the Ship in the Bottle set sell so well too that it warrants a re-release to capitalize on Christmas buys?

It is a little surprising bringing back Saturn V as it has been gone not even a year and was available for more than two years. But I guess that means LEGO's sales data shows that it was a consistent and steady seller throughout and they still imagine demand is there. I'm not surprised if that is the case. The more surprising thing to me was that they retired it in the first place. Maybe discussions during the global lockdown convinced them that retirement for it was an error and that they can sell many many more. I hope they don't do a Death Star on the pricing change though. I can understand the DS price changing so dramatically, given it was first released about 7 years earlier, whereas this time it is just about 3 years.

As to the ship in a bottle, I haven't a clue. I guess they must think it will be a good seller (presumably again). I cannot really see them bringing it back again if it wasn't a good seller. Although the secondary market for that one doesn't seem anywhere near as high (secondary price is still roughly RRP). Maybe they know something the secondary market doesn't.

Edited by MAB

57 minutes ago, MAB said:

They said it was to be decommissioned in Feb 2015 with a number of "don't miss out" emails sent, but it hung around until at least June that year, and they had to give 30% off in the UK to shift the remaining stock through lego.com. Normally putting a retiring soon badge on most stock is enough to sell it off through lego.com. Although that was all before you got your first LEGO set.

The secondary market price is barely above RRP, which is indicative too many went to the aftermarket and demand is too low compared to supply, even now.

Almost all Ideas sets go on sell...

I will consider buying Apollo in that case even not being a big fan of space sets. (love space in general)

Edited by adwind

15 hours ago, jonwil said:

Ship in a Bottle makes no sense to me. When it was in stores here in Australia it never really sold.

And yet it's popular

52 minutes ago, MAB said:

It is a little surprising bringing back Saturn V as it has been gone not even a year and was available for more than two years. But I guess that means LEGO's sales data shows that it was a consistent and steady seller throughout and they still imagine demand is there. I'm not surprised if that is the case. The more surprising thing to me was that they retired it in the first place. Maybe discussions during the global lockdown convinced them that retirement for it was an error and that they can sell many many more. I hope they don't do a Death Star on the pricing change though. I can understand the DS price changing so dramatically, given it was first released about 7 years earlier, whereas this time it is just about 3 years.

As to the ship in a bottle, I haven't a clue. I guess they must think it will be a good seller (presumably again). I cannot really see them bringing it back again if it wasn't a good seller. Although the secondary market for that one doesn't seem anywhere near as high (secondary price is still roughly RRP). Maybe they know something the secondary market doesn't.

But prices has rised and many fans missed the opportunity to get it. LEGO investing shouldn't be safe anymore ?

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:26 PM, adwind said:

Guys, where did you see this update? I just looked through their guidelines and nothing has been changed there regarding new mold... May I have a link or something?

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-ideas-21324-sesamstrasse-ideas-regel/

1 hour ago, DuckBricks said:

Huh, this is really interesting. Usually with these November re-releases, we either get a pretty old set (Taj Mahal) or a set that was previously very exclusive and unavailable to the general public (Vestas Wind Turbine). I understand with the Saturn V, but did the Ship in the Bottle set sell so well too that it warrants a re-release to capitalize on Christmas buys?

Keep in mind that re-releasing a more recent set is generally a lot easier than re-releasing an older one, considering that not only is there less risk of older molds being necessary, but more of the parts are likely to still be in current use across other sets to boot.

I don't think this is related to the previous two "out of the vault" re-releases. It could just be tied in with Lego's recent push to have more advanced models for adult builders available, or even just feedback from buyers disappointed that they could no longer get ahold of those sets.

So the re-release is now official! And I'm like: "Honey, remember that huge white thing you were happy I was too late to purchase?" xD

The two sets are being re-launched due to popular demand, and as they had already left the market, we could not keep the original numbers. The agreements with the Fan Designers remain unchanged.

Also: one of the new set numbers matches a fan designer’s birthday. They were both very involved in the process

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-ideas-saturn-v-and-ship-in-bottle-reissues-officially-confirmed/

Interesting that they’re re-releasing these sets so soon! I’m surprised but I’m happy that more people will get to buy them. 

Man, I wish they would re-release The Maze set. That was one I wanted but missed out on. I can see Ship in a Bottle being a in demand set, I know I love it. 

On 9/17/2020 at 8:13 PM, autolycus said:

Stonewars has posted an interesting rumor that the Saturn V and Ship in a Bottle sets will be returning under new set numbers.

Nice! This will be another opportunity for me to get the Ship in a Bottle set I missed out on!

Hoping LEGO will also rerelease the Old Fishing Store and Voltron.

I wonder if those re-releases are gonna be exactly the same, or will they have some slight changes, like the Taj Mahal or Vestas Wind Turbine re-releases?

16 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Man, I wish they would re-release The Maze set. That was one I wanted but missed out on. I can see Ship in a Bottle being a in demand set, I know I love it. 

Same here...

6 hours ago, Lego David said:

I wonder if those re-releases are gonna be exactly the same, or will they have some slight changes, like the Taj Mahal or Vestas Wind Turbine re-releases?

Taj Mahal was just added a brick separator...

I think the changes will be small like Vestas Wind Turbine

On 9/19/2020 at 10:43 AM, Lego David said:

We already know there is a slight change, as the set numbers are different.

Now that new molds are a thing in LEGO IDEAS, do you think a CMF project can be accepted now? 

Asking for a friend.....

Edited by Robert8

37 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Now that new molds are a thing in LEGO IDEAS, do you think a CMF project can be accepted now? 

Asking for a friend.....

I would wager no. Even with new molds, CMFs focus entirely on minifigures with no other buildable components, and as a blind-packaged assortment they represent a very different type of product category than a typical boxed Ideas set. Also, like modulars, they represent a product category with a very deliberately engineered release schedule, which would make inserting a fan-designed series into the lineup liable to cannibalize sales of other series.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Asking for a friend.....

Nope, it is stated in their rules on the website

Is anyone else having a bug where you keep getting logged out?

For me I have to log in every time I visit the site, even though the Remember Me box is checked..

On 9/19/2020 at 7:17 AM, Ragana9289 said:

Am I alone waiting for the ship Samus Aran ?

Nope :)

Edited by Snazzy Bricks
Not enough sauce

So, how well do you guys think this project will fare in review compared to @figura's prematurely archived submission:shrug_oh_well:

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Gravity Falls: The Mystery Shack Achieves 10,000 Supporters

The Gravity Falls: The Mystery Shack by TopLego8 is the latest project to achieve 10,000 supporters on LEGO Ideas. This must be a popular topic because this is the second Gravity Falls project to reach the goal in a short amount of time. The build consists of 2,510 pieces and it features the iconic shack from the show and it also proposes eight minifigures.

The project now joins the Boeing 737 Passenger Plane and Colosseum (Architecture Style) as the ones that have reached the Third 2020 Review Stage.

resize:1600:900

Edited by Digger of Bricks

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

So, how well do you guys think this project will fare in review compared to @figura's prematurely archived submission:shrug_oh_well:

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Gravity Falls: The Mystery Shack Achieves 10,000 Supporters

Personally I have no interest in it, but if LEGO thinks it will sell then why not. It looks similar to any TV / movie character based submission really:

- the parts pack defining the location, here a fairly run of the mill house build if nothing else was included

- the minifigures, the things that actually sell the set

- the stickers, which make the location a specific IP. In this one, there will be a lot of aligning a number of different stickers across multiple parts and good luck to anyone trying to attach them to 1x1 quarter circle tiles.

Edited by MAB

15 minutes ago, MAB said:

Personally I have no interest in it, but if LEGO thinks it will sell then why not.

We'll have to see how it'll stack-up against other projects that'll make the review, but if you ask me, it's already got a few things going for it...

• If approved, the final product should be able to hit shelves sometime in 2022, the year of the show's tenth anniversary.
  • The property's fanbase is still going strong even though the show wrapped-up four years ago, if not stronger than it had been before. For instance, if it's anything to go by, the number of followers over at the show's main subreddit has more than doubled in only year and a half from around 100,000 followers to 220,000. 
  • Unless they were false, Lego may have already been interested in the IP just a few years ago, given that there were rumored to be two BrickHeadz dual-packs based upon the show that never came to be (and that may have been due more to the BrickHeadz theme scaling back rather than the IP).

5 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

We'll have to see how it'll stack-up against other projects that'll make the review, but if you ask me, it's already got a few things going for it...

• If approved, the final product should be able to hit shelves sometime in 2022, the year of the show's tenth anniversary.
  • The property's fanbase is still going strong even though the show wrapped-up four years ago, if not stronger than it had been before. For instance, if it's anything to go by, the number of followers over at the show's main subreddit has more than doubled in only year and a half from around 100,000 followers to 220,000. 
  • Unless they were false, Lego may have already been interested in the IP just a few years ago, given that there were rumored to be two BrickHeadz dual-packs based upon the show that never came to be (and that may have been due more to the BrickHeadz theme scaling back rather than the IP).

While it's a great build I can't say I'm interested in IP either. Regarding whether it will be picked or not - nowadays it's even harder to guess than before. Recently Hasan commented on my question under one of their blog publication where I was asking whether or not ideas are going to compete with each other given a huge amount of ideas in one review. And the answer was: "When it comes down to it there may be a need to compare projects between each other. i.e. realistically we can't produce 35 new LEGO Ideas submissions, so even if we determine that 20 of them are all technically OK based on our review criteria (licensing, feasibility, etc) we will still need to unfortunately go on to determine which might make most commercial or strategic sense."

So today it really depends on not only your submission but how strong your competitors are. (previously they only evaluated your idea separately according to their rules).

Also I'm 100% sure they evaluate how well known the IP is throughout the world. So if Gravity Falls is well known all over the world - it is definitely a benefit.

1 hour ago, Bainter-ban said:

Is the first 2020 review expected to come any day now?

It's hard to say, but I suspect that it won't take extremely long ?

6 hours ago, adwind said:

While it's a great build I can't say I'm interested in IP either.

The show didn't grab my attention or interest either until @figura's own Mystery Shack project was archived in the unusual way it was, so in wondering if the IP was the issue, I checked out the first few episodes of the show and got sucked in. Wouldn't have thought that it'd be up-my-alley as much as it turned out to be. :classic:

1 hour ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:
6 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Is the first 2020 review expected to come any day now?

So hard to predict this one. I’m going with Mary Poppins and Castle in the Forest

If I had to pick three that I'd place my hopes on, it'd probably be Norders' UCS Chitty Chitty Bang BangAstronaut Avila's Retro Bowling Alley, and @brettcuv's Iron Giant.