The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

4 hours ago, icm said:

^ Lack of existing head molds didn't stop the Ideas team from selecting Winnie the Pooh, and lack of current small hull molds didn't stop them from selecting the Pirate Bay.  I don't see that as much of a problem.

Very true, this was the only thing I was worried about when it came to Lego realising the Futurama Planet Express but given that the Winnie the Pooh project passed, I don’t see it been a problem. 

10 hours ago, icm said:

^ Lack of existing head molds didn't stop the Ideas team from selecting Winnie the Pooh, and lack of current small hull molds didn't stop them from selecting the Pirate Bay.  I don't see that as much of a problem.

I would hesitate to use those as counterexamples.

In the Winnie the Pooh project, all of the minifigures in the proposal used non-retired headgear pieces from the collectible minifigures (albeit in new colors), and half of the characters were brick-built to begin with. The final set has not been revealed but it could easily take things in a different direction, for example by making the rest of the characters brick-built.

In the Pirate Bay project, the older molds were ones for which more modern parts could be substituted. The retired molds in question were building elements, not figure parts, that could be substituted without compromising the spirit of the original project.

By contrast, this set uses minifigures for all of its characters, and all of those minifigures use specific retired molds from almost a decade ago. There are no current head molds that could necessarily substitute for them, either—the best case scenario for characters like Spongebob would be to instead use a brick-built figure like the ones in themes like Unikitty, but it's hard to conceive of an adequate substitute for characters like Patrick and Mr. Krabs using existing parts. And unlike the Winnie the Pooh project (which would be adapting a franchise new to Lego System at least, if not Lego as a whole), these figures would have to be superior to the previous iterations of them if they were to be released to a positive reception. That means having to look better than the ones released as part of a theme with a larger budget and the ability to create dedicated molds for each of its characters.

It also shouldn't be discounted that the project has several other things running against it. Lego having produced several sets of this exact subject before also means they have concrete data about how well or poorly it sold—data that might not paint a pretty picture of what the sales potential of a larger, more expensive version might look like.

I liked Spongebob back in the day so would not mind being wrong about this project's prospects in review. But particularly with so many other, more novel projects in the same review period, I don't know if this one will get Lego's attention regardless of how quickly it achieved the 10,000 supporter milestone.

Its entirely possible they might choose to release the Futurama ship without including any figures at all.

23 hours ago, The Lego Lad said:

I am new to the forum. Please check this video.

How to make simple and unique cars using Lego bricks and pieces by The Lego Lad

my new YouTube video. :) :) :) 

Hi. Welcome to EB.

Please be aware that this site is an 18+ site. Technically you are not permitted to become a member. We tend to look the other way if you act maturely, but please don't promote yourself as an underaged member.

Furthermore, you are posting a video in the LEGO Ideas Discussion. This topic is about LEGO Ideas and it's not for posting videos about making cars.

I have removed your video. You are welcome to stay, but please read the site guidelines.

Jim

So looks like in the next review results announcement we're going to find out whether any of the "Music to our ears" contest entries was selected to become a set! I actually didn't expect them to be announced that fast! It's going to happen this June.

What do you think guys, there are some really extraordinary creations, do you see any potential candidates for being approved in this unusual way? 

Lego Tile Frame

Give your builds, photographs and crafts the focus they deserve. Lego Tile Frame is a modular kit allowing endless mosaic layouts and expansion possibilities. Mount your builds on it, attach your crafts of the moment, decorate it with accessories you already have! The same box content is versatile enough to yield multiple frame combinations or even custom. Multiple boxes = larger custom mosaic. Support if you like!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/375d8185-a952-4a9e-95dc-263c4d2bbefe

resize:800:450

On 4/18/2020 at 8:39 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Congrats ExeSandbox! Don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m expecting this to be chosen when it’s reviewed.  It got 10k supporters in 42 days (6 weeks) and to me looks like the type of build that loads of people will buy - a memory from their childhood recreated in LEGO.  Congrats again to the builder and I hope to see this on the shelves in about a year!

Thanks @Vilhelm22! I hope it does get chosen (obviously as the builder :laugh:), though many have brought up some caveats on the feasibility of the Product Idea, but you never know. Some of the approved projects from before have been quite unexpected. 

On 4/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, toastergrl said:

Yeah, agreed Vilhelm22. Congrats @ExeSandbox - this is an absolute corker and even at risk to my own project I definitely think it's a very, very solid concept that deserves to be picked up. What a meteoric rise for sure!

Thanks @toastergrl and congrats on your achievement too! I do think your project has a good chance as well. Although along with the other (soon to be) 20+ great projects in line, I'm definitely excited and nervous to see the result. :excited:

On 4/18/2020 at 11:15 PM, Lyichir said:

One of the main barriers to it becoming a set is probably the fact that it utilizes those retired head molds from that earlier theme. There's no guarantee Lego still has those around and even if they did, reintroducing all of them would constitute a much greater logistical cost than the use of active molds.

I'm also not 100% sure what the current working relationship between Lego and Nickelodeon is. Nickelodeon does currently air Lego City Adventures, but all of the themes based on Nickelodeon shows (Avatar, Spongebob, TMNT) are long since retired, not even making a return in more recent "umbrella themes" like BrickHeadz or Lego Dimensions.

Indeed, Spongebob Squarepants seems to be a sticky situation. For something like my build, without the minifig characters it wouldn't work at all, whereas if there was a project like the 3826 Build-a-Bob set where everything is brick built, that also doesn't seem like it would do well. (In terms of even reaching 10k) :shrug_oh_well:...but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :classic:

That's a very interesting point too. (on the relationship between LEGO and Nickelodeon.)

Congrats to the creator of the waterfall! They're probably not a Eurobricks member, but if they do end up seeing this I might as well be curteous. It's a lovely design, especially with the flowing water bricks and the explorer stuff and mineshaft around it.

1 hour ago, ExeSandbox said:

Thanks @toastergrl and congrats on your achievement too! I do think your project has a good chance as well. Although along with the other (soon to be) 20+ great projects in line, I'm definitely excited and nervous to see the result. :excited:

Thank you! Fingers crossed all goes well and we can coexist - I'd love to be able to add both to my shelves :P At risk of repeating myself, how many projects this review session is accumulating is downright unprecedented and a little scary. ^u^;;

On 4/20/2020 at 11:21 AM, jonwil said:

Its entirely possible they might choose to release the Futurama ship without including any figures at all.

What makes you say that? 

2 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

What makes you say that? 

jonwil probably thinks that because the original pitch for that model didn't include any figures in it, and the other "Matt Groening cinematic universe" cartoon (shut up I don't know what else to call the group :P ) had unique head molds which definitely couldn't be done through Ideas due to limitations on new tooling. It would totally damage the appeal of the set because I'm sure not a single person who gave the project a support thought the absence of figures was anything but a negative, but I could absolutely see it happening if the set was selected fo production as a possibility.

1 hour ago, toastergrl said:

jonwil probably thinks that because the original pitch for that model didn't include any figures in it, and the other "Matt Groening cinematic universe" cartoon (shut up I don't know what else to call the group :P ) had unique head molds which definitely couldn't be done through Ideas due to limitations on new tooling. It would totally damage the appeal of the set because I'm sure not a single person who gave the project a support thought the absence of figures was anything but a negative, but I could absolutely see it happening if the set was selected fo production as a possibility.

Futurama does seem quite popular on Lego Ideas at the moment though, not only did the Planet Express hit 10k support but the Planet Express HQ is nearly there, Lego must surely know the demand for the characters is very high. However I highly doubt the HQ would get made unless Lego did something like they did with Ghostbusters. 

Hello everyone! I would like to ask a question that maybe someone knows answer:

When creating LEGO idea how do I add image in description so there isn't just plain text? Like in these 2 examples:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/32190c3d-9497-4b3d-b288-3bb83decc5b4 (Like the menu line and Gusteau line)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2e7f2229-b8ec-4c11-a47f-f8650f537c81

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, tomaaki said:

Hello everyone! I would like to ask a question that maybe someone knows answer:

When creating LEGO idea how do I add image in description so there isn't just plain text? Like in these 2 examples:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/32190c3d-9497-4b3d-b288-3bb83decc5b4 (Like the menu line and Gusteau line)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2e7f2229-b8ec-4c11-a47f-f8650f537c81

Thanks in advance!

I can answer that one as the second example is one of my projects. To add images within the text you have to have to first post them to a host site like Flikr. You can then copy the image URL in to the text when setting up your Lego Ideas page and it will make the pictures appear within your text. It's exactly the same process that you'd use if you wanted to post pictures here on eurobricks

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

I can answer that one as the second example is one of my projects. To add images within the text you have to have to first post them to a host site like Flikr. You can then copy the image URL in to the text when setting up your Lego Ideas page and it will make the pictures appear within your text. It's exactly the same process that you'd use if you wanted to post pictures here on eurobricks

Thank you very much. I'll try that when I will submit my project. I tried this method already while editing the post. While in preview it was showing just the URL not actual picture. Wasn't sure if they will appear when submitted.

Probably reading too much into things, as I am wont to do, but LEGO has announced a collaboration with Universal Music Group launching next year. Maybe that Queen set isn't quite as far-fetched as we thought...

That makes 22 at 10000, didn't even fit on the page and a see more button appeared *oh2*

Well, it says 22, but somehow Untitled Goose Game is listed twice.

2 more projects from 1-2 month ago already at 9k+

Edited by TeriXeri

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Queen: The Miracle Express Achieves 10,000 Supporters

Either the Queen set from the 3rd 2019 Review Stage gets approved, either none of those gets approved. I can't see LEGO making more LEGO Ideas sets based off the same IP.

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Futurama Planet Express Headquarter, Spaceship and Crew Achieves 10,000 Supporters

Same here. There is already the Planet Express Delivery from the 3rd 2019 review stage, why is there any need for a 2nd set that's basically the exact same thing? 

9 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Not long until the next results now. 

When exactly will the results come out? May or June?

Just now, Lego David said:

Either the Queen set from the 3rd 2019 Review Stage gets approved, either none of those gets approved. I can't see LEGO making more LEGO Ideas sets based off the same IP.

Same here. There is already the Planet Express Delivery from the 3rd 2019 review stage, why is there any need for a 2nd set that's basically the exact same thing? 

When exactly will the results come out? May or June?

I believe it’s May, that’s what I was told mate.

4 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

I believe it’s May, that’s what I was told mate.

They actually said somewhere it's summer, so hoping for June... I'm actually in this review, so I'm trying to stay up to date :)