A combine harvester with detailed internal funktions would be a mighty flagship model.

I don't know about detailed internal functions or flagship status, but at least your wish for a combine harvester will allegedly be fulfilled with 42168.

28 minutes ago, zoo said:

A combine harvester with detailed internal funktions would be a mighty flagship model.

For that, I'm affraid that TLC would need to introduce even bigger tractor tires than currently available; some 120mm so Claas tires can be used behind. Claas and Zetros tires combination is a bit to small for all that...

5 hours ago, AVCampos said:

I don't know about detailed internal functions or flagship status, but at least your wish for a combine harvester will allegedly be fulfilled with 42168.

Right. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Do we have any idea of when the 42168 will be released?

4 hours ago, 1gor said:

For that, I'm affraid that TLC would need to introduce even bigger tractor tires than currently available; some 120mm so Claas tires can be used behind. Claas and Zetros tires combination is a bit to small for all that...

Do what you must Lego, just make it happen! :)

Edited by zoo

Larger tyres that can cope with the increased weight of a proportionally large vehicle would have to be built quite differently from those LEGO currently makes, and therefore perhaps they'd be a lot more expensive. For example, I remember seeing some years ago that people had to build structures to put between tyre and rim in large, Power Puller-equipped trial trucks.

6 hours ago, AVCampos said:

For example, I remember seeing some years ago that people had to build structures to put between tyre and rim in large, Power Puller-equipped trial trucks.

I had to make this even for my tractors...

8 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Larger tyres that can cope with the increased weight of a proportionally large vehicle would have to be built quite differently from those LEGO currently makes, and therefore perhaps they'd be a lot more expensive. For example, I remember seeing some years ago that people had to build structures to put between tyre and rim in large, Power Puller-equipped trial trucks.

Agreed, we would probably need an even stronger load-bearing hub with a more secure attachment system than just 3 pins. Perhaps some perpendicular holes to the wheels and axles passing through them, so that the wheels can't get detached by any means. I used a similar technique using turtnatbles and custom wheels for Daytona motorization as original wheels kept falling off hubs. 

I am not sure if this is really needed except for "for the sake of beeing bigger".... Not a fan at all. Really strange that one complaint is "Lego is too expensive nowadays! In my days it did cost only 2 cents and a half!" and another one is: "Meh, we need bigger models to include more functions." :D

Bigger wheels would mean bigger models with even more parts and thus higher prices. Sure there will be a technic model with 5000 parts one day, which will cost 800€ and has 2 or 3 hubs with maybe 10 functions. But I really don't know if this is a good thing.... I'd rather have 5 models for 100€ each with 1000 parts and 4...5 functions each.

A really good example is the 42154. In my opinion, this thing is way better constructed that all the 1:8 supercars. With half the parts of its bigger brothers, it packs nearly the same functions.

4 minutes ago, Jundis said:

A really good example is the 42154. In my opinion, this thing is way better constructed that all the 1:8 supercars. With half the parts of its bigger brothers, it packs nearly the same functions.

Well, it doesn't have a gearbox, which takes a lot in size and complexity.

16 hours ago, zoo said:

16 hours ago, AVCampos said:

And it will be, but not from TLG :)

16 hours ago, 1gor said:

They are not needed. It all depends on the type of the combine. A smaller machine on a scale of 1:17 have tire diameters of up to 94 and 75 mm and will correspond to real dimensions.

16 hours ago, AVCampos said:

The 9700 is a forage harvester, not a combine.

16 hours ago, eric trax said:

And it will be, but not from TLG :)

They are not needed. It all depends on the type of the combine. A smaller machine on a scale of 1:17 have tire diameters of up to 94 and 75 mm and will correspond to real dimensions.

Yes buddy (you know that I still have your Jaguar or BigX in mind), but LEGO usually (not always) prefers biggest models in series...

And I'll be more than happy with new 94mm tractor wheels

Edited by 1gor

A combine would be really cool, a farming sort of, unofficial subtheme would be great with a bunch of sets released in the same scale (like the 1:10 cars but as farming machinery differs in size there would be many different sized models but all in the same scale). Not sure they would make a combine a flagship, but certainly the one below the flagship, hopefully with all the internal belt work and rotating drums. Could have a basic battery box and motor, and drive would be motorised but geared to be quite slow so you can manually steering it via HoG.

I just realized today that TLG has added only ONE small (100-200 parts) Technic set to the list. And it looks like it will be a tracked vehicle as it counts 195 parts. So maybe 60 track links and the rest is beef?!

That makes two tracked Vehicles (snow groomer and heavy duty bulldozer) for the small-sets-lineup. No ship, no helicopter, no more plane as the 42117 went(?) out of production. Something with articulated steering would have been nice and useful. And would fit just perfectly into the current lineup. :sadnew:

The Offroad Racebuggy, TLG has added to the list sounds interesting to me. But compared to the 176 parts of the 42147 Dump Truck, you get for 10€ (12$?), the 219 parts of the Buggy(16€) look expensive to me.

Can anyone provide more information on the sets? Especially for the parts of the Bulldozer? Does the Offroader get shock absorber(one or two)?

My (realistic) dream flagship would also be a mighty combine harvester. 

Maybe a Claas Lexion 8000 or similar. 

RC, packed with a lot of functions,  gears, moving parts and interesting mechanical solutions. 

And the cherry on the cake would be the reintroducing of LEDs. Would look awesome  on the roof. 

I think Lego need to shift their focus back to the mechanical aspects and, even more important: Bring back the Part quality to the old level. 

Competitors are getting better and better... 

Edited by Frequenzberater

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Bring back the Part quality to the old level

I dislike how "mushy" Gen3 friction pins are and much prefer the clickier Gen2, but otherwise didn't notice any decrease in part quality. What parts have become worse in your opinion?

16 hours ago, allanp said:

A combine would be really cool, a farming sort of, unofficial subtheme would be great with a bunch of sets released in the same scale

I like this idea. :grin_wub:

2 hours ago, AVCampos said:

I dislike how "mushy" Gen3 friction pins are and much prefer the clickier Gen2, but otherwise didn't notice any decrease in part quality. What parts have become worse in your opinion?

From my experience, the plastic is softer for sure. Had issues with reinforeced version of the wheels hubs failing while driving models and the new, mushier pins and beams tend to leave marks when moving, like in the landing gear of the Airbus. Though big advantage of using MABS instead of ABS is that any part can now be moulded also in transparent color without needing a seperate mould...

Edited by Zerobricks

Remake of 8480 Space shuttle fully motorized!

Edited by Aris

1 hour ago, Aris said:

Remake of 8480 Space shuttle!

Would be nice, especially if it had the submarine B-model, but there's a bunch of other space-related sets coming out next year so you may have to be content with them.

3 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Would be nice, especially if it had the submarine B-model, but there's a bunch of other space-related sets coming out next year so you may have to be content with them.

Indeed - next year looks like NASA took over LEGO's future product division.

10 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

Indeed - next year looks like NASA took over LEGO's future product division.

I'd be okay with that, if it only meant far less frickin' cars.

On 10/16/2023 at 9:53 PM, Maaboo the Witch said:

I'm just gonna go ahead and ask for a JCB set for the trillionth time.

On 10/16/2023 at 10:30 PM, Jockos said:

Me too. A properly sized (in the scale of 8069 or bigger) backhoe is loooong overdue. 

I've had a go but after about 300 hours of work it needs a chassis rebuild:

zJCB_3CX_Compact_MBellis_WIP01_sml.jpg.2099a213a4d6fe003207692d84d35788.jpg

Pic Folder: https://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=585534

Dual pneumatic servo steering, 6-function Backhoe, 3 function front loader.  Engine repurposed as motorised multi-cylinder compressors.

Would be up to 30 functions in total, showing enough value from expected £430 price tag.

The aim is to avoid phone-dependency by having drive and steering controlled from a City hub, using the train remote handset, with the compressors driven from a battery unit with switches.

The digger functions would be hands-on pneumatic controls.  The design sets up the single front and twin rear joysticks in the prototypical positions.

At least for the rebuild there are some new parts now, such as the 3x19 frame.  The frames for the backhoe sideways slide function have used composites from thin liftarms up to now.

Mark

9 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Well, Markus has said he would like to remake the space shuttle. And the space sets releasing next year only makes it more likely, that is, if they based on real designs/concepts from NASA. If they are purely fictional then that makes a space shuttle less likely IMHO. But as the subject of a space shuttle comes up quite often (perhaps almost as much as a JCB 3CX or 4CX), what would this new Technic space shuttle be like? Apart from being fully covered in panels and stud less, what would it have over 8480 to make it worthwhile? 

For me, hopefully it would be fully motorized but not app controlled. The Canadarm would have the same functions as 8480 but with the addition of an elbow joint and a grabber to be able to grab and let go of the satellite (4 functions total for the arm), and placed to the side of the shuttle bay like the real one (not in the middle like 8480) to allow more room for the slightly bigger and more complex satellite. Whilst I usually complain about unrealistic mechanisms, the space shuttle is an exception (they couldn't really make a real working rocket!), so it could have a multifunction gearbox to honor the original, plus a new micromotor to unfold the satellite solar panels, which this time would be made of multiple panels that fold out in a cool way to make them much bigger. The roof of the cockpit could be removed to allow access to the Canadarm twin control levers placed at the rear of the cockpit. Similar to the two direction controls of the 42042 crane, the two control levers would have direction control, however, each lever also has two functions, as they could move forwards/backwards but also left/right, allowing two direction control of all four functions of the Canadarm simultaneously from one motor. Yes it would be very complex and in a very tight space, but that was what the 8480 was all about! There would be other levers to control the motorized bay doors and also now motorized landing gear (also a bit unrealistic as I believe the shuttle never had powered retraction of the landing gear, only powered deployment). The landing gear would also have working suspension and bay doors. Finally, the control surfaces on the wings and tail fin would be controlled by a correctly positioned control in he front of the cockpit.