You know what would be awesome ?

A lego version of this, does not need to be licenced:

The motorhome has a car garage under it basically :).

I dont know about the interiour gadgets but as for features:

A fake engine

Steering with HOG dial.

Differential

Opening doors

Moving Steering Wheel

4 speed gearbox a

Car undercarrage

Edited by SNIPE

@SNIPE Indeed this could be quite interesting, especially if they were to do a transmission with a long linkage between the gearbox at the rear and a proper gated stick shift at the front, and leaf spring suspension. Would also be great if the car was corvette scale so you could have many cars to choose from to put in there. The car deploying mechanism could be a cool sequenced thing or something, either like 8868b or like the 8109 flatbed truck which lowered it's wheels, extended the rear and unfolded the rear all in one clever function.

23 minutes ago, allanp said:

@SNIPE Indeed this could be quite interesting, especially if they were to do a transmission with a long linkage between the gearbox at the rear and a proper gated stick shift at the front, and leaf spring suspension. Would also be great if the car was corvette scale so you could have many cars to choose from to put in there. The car deploying mechanism could be a cool sequenced thing or something, either like 8868b or like the 8109 flatbed truck which lowered it's wheels, extended the rear and unfolded the rear all in one clever function.

Absolutely loving that. It sounds a necessity for me.

55 minutes ago, allanp said:

yeah, exactually, it can hold any car that can fit on the 42098 or smaller :)

On 1/15/2022 at 4:35 PM, Bartybum said:

Good thing about this solution is that you consolidate the outriggers into the gearbox itself, rather than needing a whole other gearbox for them. You could gear down the rotary changeover catches so that when your outriggers are up the catches are in driving position, but when they're down the catches are in backhoe position. You might have some issues with immense torque acting on the gearbox but you can implement a linear clutch (god bless that piece holy shit it's fantastic) somewhere in the drivetrain.

Another good thing is that instead of having three separate three-output gearboxes, you'll have four two-output gearboxes, the complexity of which might be greatly reduced to give you a bit more space.

Consolidating the outriggers and gearbox into one motion was something I had considered early on, but given how easy it is to build a three or four position gearbox using the wave selector, I opted to run the each outrigger off a third position in the gearbox.  My initial thought was that this would actually be a simpler design, plus give the benefit of individual outrigger control.  The other benefit is that I would have two motors driving the outriggers, which will, hopefully, allow me to maybe lift the back wheels off the ground.  I might be too optimistic there, but it's worth a shot.

I basically have two 3 output gearboxes, and one 2 output gearbox.  I'm trying to keep the gearbox at 11 studs wide and 3 studs tall, which is proving to be a challenge.  I'm still working on various solutions, but I may end up having to make the cab floor higher than I would've liked.  I'd like to add a couple more functions too, but we'll see how that goes. 

12 minutes ago, dhc6twinotter said:

...I basically have two 3 output gearboxes, and one 2 output gearbox.  I'm trying to keep the gearbox at 11 studs wide and 3 studs tall, which is proving to be a challenge.  I'm still working on various solutions, but I may end up having to make the cab floor higher than I would've liked.  I'd like to add a couple more functions too, but we'll see how that goes.

I see, fair enough. Remember to try to gear up your gearboxes so they run at high speed and low torque - should make shifting easier

But it has the same functionalities like 42114 set, so I'm not optimistic about that...or it would just be a recolor with planetary reduction hubs 

51 minutes ago, 1gor said:

But it has the same functionalities like 42114 set, so I'm not optimistic about that...or it would just be a recolor with planetary reduction hubs 

The wonderful thing about haulers is that they work at any scale. It could be a small or mid-sized set; it doesn't necessarily have to be a flagship. Look at the Deere.

6 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

The wonderful thing about haulers is that they work at any scale. It could be a small or mid-sized set; it doesn't necessarily have to be a flagship. Look at the Deere.

Agree buddy; it could be perfect use of 68.7 x 27 tires from Batmobile or 75.1 from 42124 set. I know that later ones are ideal for my 1:18 scale JCB loadal 560-80 project (just have to find time for it)

1 hour ago, 1gor said:

Agree buddy; it could be perfect use of 68.7 x 27 tires from Batmobile or 75.1 from 42124 set. I know that later ones are ideal for my 1:18 scale JCB loadal 560-80 project (just have to find time for it)

I'd really wish these tires would be used more. The Raptor would have been way better with these. Hopefully we'll see them in 2023 :D

33 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I'd really wish these tires would be used more. The Raptor would have been way better with these. Hopefully we'll see them in 2023 :D

Yes, they look really nice; I don't want to repeat myself, but I didn't like balloon tires at the first place and having no other choice I've ended with full bag of useless balloon tires from 56mm (over 68.7, 81.6, 94.8) to powerpullers...

The batmobile tyres are good but I think they could do better. They need to be narrower and the wheels need a deep offset so two can be pinned back to back without any spacers while still leaving a small gap between the rubber tyres. That's how most truck type wheels are and would increase the authentic look and feel of any model that uses them. Would love to see these on a RC 18 wheeler with remotely attachable/detachable trailer with leaf spring suspension and more powerful drive motor.

4 hours ago, allanp said:

The batmobile tyres are good but I think they could do better. They need to be narrower and the wheels need a deep offset so two can be pinned back to back without any spacers while still leaving a small gap between the rubber tyres. That's how most truck type wheels are and would increase the authentic look and feel of any model that uses them. Would love to see these on a RC 18 wheeler with remotely attachable/detachable trailer with leaf spring suspension and more powerful drive motor.

Sometimes indeed those 68.7 x 27 tires are to wide; or I need to implement floating differential to make it realistically narrow / wide...

On 1/27/2022 at 2:06 PM, Maaboo35 said:

At a scale that fits the flagship specification (3000-4000 pieces and £400), is it better to have a smaller-scale large prototype vehicle or a larger-scale smaller-prototype vehicle?

Some of the supercars are 1:10 or 1:8, truck MOCs used to be 1:13 with the older 82mm wheels (too many pieces for 20th Century sets).  Would a 1:8 set of a smaller machine be more exciting than a 1:13 truck?

How do we feel about getting the functionality closer to the prototype at a larger scale?

If it's all about play value, would a 1:8 set of a car-sized machine, with more functions than the equivalent supercar, be an aspiration, combining the supercar and flagship specs?

Mark

On 1/27/2022 at 1:59 PM, Maaboo35 said:

Volvo now owns the Terex ADT range and has rebranded it as Rokbak. It'd be great to see a set based on their largest model, the RA40.

RA40-ROKBAK--e1630576328573.jpg

This looks a lot like CADA's articulated hauler released recently, which was designed by Eric Trax.

10 minutes ago, karmadrome said:

This looks a lot like CADA's articulated hauler released recently, which was designed by Eric Trax.

That's actually based on a Liebherr hauler.

On 1/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, 1gor said:

Yes, they look really nice; I don't want to repeat myself, but I didn't like balloon tires at the first place and having no other choice I've ended with full bag of useless balloon tires from 56mm (over 68.7, 81.6, 94.8) to powerpullers...

I'll take all those 68.7 balloon tires from you. I love them.

I do think the Batmobile tires are better, but it's taking a little time for me to fully integrate them into my building style. 

3 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I'll take all those 68.7 balloon tires from you. I love them.

I do think the Batmobile tires are better, but it's taking a little time for me to fully integrate them into my building style. 

I'm afraid that shipping to U.S. is not cheap at all; despite that I'll probably sell all my  Lego that will remain after I build what I plan (several tractors, 2-3 telehandlers, Unimog (evolution of my 423), 2 harvesters, 2 trucks and probably some forest machines...and perhaps some classic car at realistic I can make it)

On 2/9/2022 at 2:10 PM, Thirdwigg said:

It's not surprising if the Tumbler front tyres take longer to assimilate into regular building and MOCs, since one had to purchase 2 tumblers to get 4 tyres of that type.

Might be easier with the new McLaren F1 car that has 4 of them.

I dislike sets that have different front and rear tyres but I accept that in some cases it models the prototype accurately.
If I have other sets with similar types of wheels and tyres, or a second instance of the set with dissimilar pairs of tyres, then it's not so bad.
I sometimes buy 2 motorbike sets for similar reasons; perhaps that is sufficient to make a car more like the Ariel Atom.  Certainly cheaper per unit value than buying the tyres separately!

Mark

@Brickthus, there was easier way to get 4 Tumbler tires than buying 2 Tumbler vehicles; you could just buy 2 drag racers 42050 sets :wink:

2 minutes ago, 1gor said:

@Brickthus, there was easier way to get 4 Tumbler tires than buying 2 Tumbler vehicles; you could just buy 2 drag racers 42050 sets :wink:

True but I was not so keen on 42050's Azure Blue for Technic.  I prefer the original Bright Blue, which helps me add Technic functionality to the Classic Space theme.

I got the Tumbler for the studded Technic frames (in its base) and the rear wheels as much as any other parts.

I tend to buy quite a few Technic sets on the basis of parts re-use, where the panels are a significant proportion of the cost of most sets, so I often go for the colours I will use in MOCs.
The parts-pack criteria can override the idea of a particular set not being the best representation of its prototype.

Mark

7 minutes ago, Brickthus said:

True but I was not so keen on 42050's Azure Blue for Technic.  I prefer the original Bright Blue, which helps me add Technic functionality to the Classic Space theme.

I got the Tumbler for the studded Technic frames (in its base) and the rear wheels as much as any other parts.

I tend to buy quite a few Technic sets on the basis of parts re-use, where the panels are a significant proportion of the cost of most sets, so I often go for the colours I will use in MOCs.
The parts-pack criteria can override the idea of a particular set not being the best representation of its prototype.

Mark

You have plausible philosophy :thumbup: