naf

Boxes - do you keep them?

I don't keep boxes or instructions, since the only times I ever buy sets are for parts fodder. Those things are useless to me, and I never understood why people want them when they're buying used sets, though I do understand that most of those people are collectors. The parts are all that matter to be, and in the unlikely event I'd ever want to build the sets, I could just find the instructions online. This may sound harsh, but it's always been my opinion that LEGO set collecting is for people who lack the creativity to build their own things.

Reminds me of this:

18131448.jpg

Some people don't have a creative mind, or lack the time to do a MOC themselves, but still want to have fun building, so set collecting is great for them. I do both. Instructions are small enough that I can fit them all in a file box in the closet. The boxes on the other hand, while pretty, take up too much space so I mostly recycle them now unless they are from special sets like Imperial Flagship or MMV.

I tend to keep my boxes.

As my collection grows I may have to fold them flat.

Eventually I might discard some of them.

Some people don't have a creative mind, or lack the time to do a MOC themselves, but still want to have fun building, so set collecting is great for them. I do both. Instructions are small enough that I can fit them all in a file box in the closet. The boxes on the other hand, while pretty, take up too much space so I mostly recycle them now unless they are from special sets like Imperial Flagship or MMV.

I was mostly referring to the people who have an obsession with having every Star Wars set along with its original box and instructions. They're very difficult to deal with when selling used sets on ebay and craigslist, and don't seem to be able to comprehend that not everybody builds just the sets.

Even as a student (soon to be graduated) can't find time for my MOCs. So with enough space to display I really don't mind people only building sets for the purpose of displaying.

And also about boxes, I think so far I'm keeping all the boxes after my dark age but I don't mind throwing some off and keeping only special ones. But this isn't for the sake of re-selling, it is just as a token of nostalgia.

I'm creative all day at work, by the time i get home I am worn out. Sometimes following directions is the perfect way to relax.

I keep boxes, but I flatten them. They take up way less space that way. Unfortunately I've bought a couple large sets with boxes that open from the top instead of the side (Tantive, Blockade Runner). Those can't be collapsed, and take up a ton of space. My solution is to use those to store the instructions in.

I keep all my boxes in trash bags up in the attic. I like to keep them for no good reason at all. :P

I keep all my boxes and my instructions, for no reason at all. What I'm hoping to do is if a day comes where I get a room dedicated to LEGO display is to flatten and put all the box covers against a wall to create a wallpaper. Might be a bit messy, though, but another reason I'm keeping them is if they're worth something in the future.

If the boxes have a special or limited edition logo on then yes. Otherwise I'll recycle them. The problem is, as mentioned in other posts there is no space to keep them.

So far I have kept all my Star Wars and Hobbit boxes in case I want to sell the sets at some point. But storage space is a big issue for me, so these themes is where i usually draw the line, the rest gets thrown away.

So far I've kept all my Lego boxes going back to 1999 when they released Star Wars sets. They are all in pretty much mint condition, minus being opened of course. Was rather frustrated at having some of the boxes damage when I moved countries. I know they are taking up quite a bit of space at the moment but I will not throw them away. I paid for the sets and I like having it complete, box, set and instructions. I've been putting boxes inside of other boxes. I find this is a great way to reduce clutter.

My 80's Lego sets I just have the cover and rear art of the boxes.

The only boxes I had to fold over were the modular boxes. I loved them so much I refused to throw them away and even mailed them when I moved. :laugh: In the future I may fold some more boxes down. (Note: only cutting the tape not actually folding them in half...) The ones that you have to pry apart on the side I can't exactly do that but I still use the larger set boxes to store Lego sets anyway. Another space saver.

Eventually when I can have my own Lego room I plan on having some shelving in the basement or such to store the boxes. Considering how many people throw their's away it is in my best interest to keep them. :grin:

Edited by Wodanis

I keep all my instructions sorted by theme in a large filing cabinet.

As for boxes, I keep UCS-type boxes, cuusoo boxes, and the architecture boxes. Everything else I recycle (really, who has room to store hundreds of boxes?).

I have all my boxes, there are lots of them, but I've had to resort to flattening all the ones that can be flattened, and any that can't I put as many other boxes inside the ones that cannot be flattened as I can, there is still probably 6 cubic meters of boxes in the loft, which is a storage nightmare.

Especially when I think I never plan to see them :-) In my eyes, it values my collection better

I just keep the boxes from a few larger D2C sets like the Modulars and UCS sets. I don't have the storage space for others.

No.

I did at one time, but it was a waste of space and labor (each time I rearranged stuff or moved).

I know that a few sets have boxes that became quite valuable, but there are other things that gain value that take up less space and less labor.

So I rarely keep boxes.

I do sometimes, if the box is especially cool.

Lego Boxes are just so oversized, way too much box for the contents. This irritates me a lot.

I keep them, sometimes I wonder why, but whenever I open the lid of the container I keep them in, I can never brig myself to toss them out.

I keep them, simply because the collector in me doesn't want to throw them out. Storage is starting to become an issue so i'll have to start the flattening process soon, have been putting it off.

Lego Boxes are just so oversized, way too much box for the contents. This irritates me a lot.

This also bothers me alot. LEGO could cut costs (maybe), waste (definitely) quite a bit if they made the boxes actual needed size.

I don't keep boxes. I can't imagine a time when I will sell the sets, (especially the idea that I have to find each piece for that set to sell it).

I do feel a little guilty when I get a set from ebay, I can tell that the owner carefully stored the box and instructions and it arrives at my house only to be in the recycling 10 minutes later.

I don't keep boxes, I'm strictly in it for the building:) I did however for a period cut the front off technic boxes and hang them on the wall when I was very young. I don't know if technic boxes still look the same, but back then (90's) they were pretty cool. Some of them had pictures of the alternative models and they had measurements and cool stuff on the pictures:)