sheo

[MOC] Terex RH400 Mining Excavator (Obsolete)

Awesome machine! Colors work together well. The lever type ( or whatever they are called) LA mounts on the boom are intriguing. Bucket is built superbly, and reverse mounting the LAs on the bucket must have been a bit tricky. Love the fans too!

Thank you for mentioning a few of those details that may look insignificant or may be hidden inside but require many hours to design, build and rebuild.

I should probably note (just in case) that this geometry of the boom allows the bucket to maintain its orientation towards ground surface during boom movements. As a result, the driver doesn't need to worry about losing the load while moving the bucket to the dump truck.

I see there are three u-joints at the boom/bucket connection. I suppose one u-joint is for the bucket open/close and one for the LAs that tip the bucket, but what is the third u-joint for?

You are right about the functions of the first two u-joints. The third u-joint is just a part of the framework. It doesn't move. Or at least I didn't mean it to move. :)

Although I haven't had an opportunity to prepare instructions (it takes time to deal with over 4500 parts), I've made some schemes that illustrate the simple yet effective mechanics of the excavator:

Subtractor Boom

12234550886_ac9327dbfd_z.jpg12233902485_2cba69e8e3_z.jpg

Engines

12234318654_b30c34432f.jpg

Superstructure

12234779276_7f147a85ec_z.jpg12234382803_d8423057d5_z.jpg

I like how with all that mechanical stuff going on you still managed to motorize the little side fans :laugh:

I really love it when people make these sort of renders where only gears and such are left.

Also it seems to be adder-substractor driven? If so, cool as those have been kinda rare lately..

I should also note that prior to this model I made two versions that were much more complex as they contained gearboxes and lots of gears. However, due to their complexity and weight, those versions didn't work smooth. And so I decided to replace gearbox with additional motors, and the result is much better!

I love the dual tread drive from a single motor solution you use. Seeing it, it's such an obviously simple solution, but on my own, I never would have come up with it! Bravo!

Some news concerning instructions: I have compiled my hand-made instructions that I created for myself. Here are the partial instructions for the shorter section of the boom. The question is: are they appropriate or should I try to create professional-style instructions?

Some news concerning instructions: I have compiled my hand-made instructions that I created for myself. Here are the partial instructions for the shorter section of the boom. The question is: are they appropriate or should I try to create professional-style instructions?

I can't speak for other builders, but for me.............Awesome! :sweet: That is very do-able from my building experience and can be followed pretty darn easily.

I'll keep watch for when you publish a parts list, I like to gather everything before I start building a persons' MOC, especially one this fantastic! :wub::thumbup: :thumbup:

If no list is available, I'll start building immediately :laugh:

Just checked out your personal BI, :thumbup: cant' stand it, I'm gathering parts for this first section now................... :tongue:

just checked - would be perfect for me and my building skills - no problems to follow - would be great if we could have such BI - many thanks in advance!! impressive and awesome MOC!

Nice work Sheo.

I almost have an LDraw file ready (unstepped) of the arm part, so a Blakbird can do some nice rendering :grin:

Oh my god!! this is awesome!

this lovely monster is the real flagship of 2014, not that offical volvo.

Looking forward for the instructions

Frontpaged, added to Hall of Fame and technicgear2.png rewarded! :thumbup:

Wow! Thank you!

Thank you all for the comments!

In response to your kindness and patience I have prepared instructions and part list (in Rebricable format) for the excavator's boom.

I should note that I have changed the coloring of the boom so that the sections of the boom could match each other. This is possible now as those small panels have become available in black.

Please let me know if you find mistakes in the instructions.

Nice work Sheo.

I almost have an LDraw file ready (unstepped) of the arm part, so a Blakbird can do some nice rendering :grin:

You may use an LDD file of the boom if you need. However, I should warn you that this file contains hacked linear actuators from @pocketpc (by the way, thanks to him!) that are very helpful but may cause some difficulties during conversion or rendering.

Still a lot of work for me to do: instructions for the superstructure and the base plus long-awaited video. I hope I'll have some time to complete these tasks. :)

Edited by sheo

@LEGO Guy Bri, @Jetwee, thank you!

Almost forgot to mention:

those of you who are waiting to build the whole model should consider getting these rare parts:

1x 61905.jpg

1x 57515.jpg

The rest of parts are either common or can be replaced by more common variants of different color.