just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Are there any new molds in the set apart from Smaug? The black crucible/cauldron perhaps, or the sand green corner slopes at the base of the columns in the throne section?

Apart from Smaug? Smaug probably ate up most of the themes new mold budget all by himself? How many new parts is he? Am I wrong in suspecting that the wings are either sailcloth or thin plastic sheeting with ribs and joints embedded? I don't think the set has any further new molds unless there is a new widespread construction piece that is not obvious from the picture. I do think it has a lot of pieces in new colors.

I'm not sure I am grasping the hate from some? This is pretty much everything we have asked for, within reason at a price point. Smaug looks like he is everything most around here pretty much demanded. A huge new molded dragon with lots of articulation. Early reports did describe it as a play set and not the much more static gates of Erebor. Which honestly would have been difficult to pull off at minifig scale, to little real play benefit. As an interior play set it actually looks fantastic. While not quite to the level of say the Death Star or Ewok Village, it seems to have far far more than we normally get going on. The closest thing I can think to it would be the Fantasy Era Dwarf Mines or the Lone Ranger Silver Mine. Both of which were utterly fantastic sets. And this looks to be about twice the size of the LR set. The colors and parts look amazing. A middle earth and castle builders dream come true with all the sand green and pearl gold. Literally rivers of pearl gold. Like most Licensed Lego Sets, it does not seem to recreate one single specific scene, but rather gives the setting where you can play out several, probably from the 2nd and 3rd movies. Which is likely why the fig choices seem less than ideal. And honestly I would guess that the Dragon ate up a huge amount of the fig budget. Bilbo Dwalin and Balin make perfect sense. They are all core to the mountain scene in the movie. They are the nobles. Fili and Kili? Possibly this was the only reasonable place to slip them in for this wave. It is a safe assumption that they play a much bigger role in the 3rd movie than Oin and Gloin, so their absence from the Bo5A would be much more noticed. Even if much of that involves weird elf dwarf romance that sure as hell never came from a book.

The price complaints are legit. I think they priced it above its reasonable selling point. But it's not like that is anything new in these Middle Earth sets. Weathertop and Mines of Moria were both priced way too high. The Goblin King was abominably high. Even Helm's Deep was too much at MSRP. At least this one has the Dragon.

I am so disappointed.

Definitely not enough minifigures

The giant dragon counts for nothing in your eyes?

The giant dragon counts for nothing in your eyes?

No sir, it does not. It's aight doe.

In all seriousness, i do like the set (especially Smaug) but i feel like for $130 we should have gotten more Dwarves.

Edited by azog15

I'm not sure I am grasping the hate from some? This is pretty much everything we have asked for, within reason at a price point.

I don't think anyone is really complaining about Smaug. In fact I think he is generally recieving a lot of praise as the obvious star of the set. It seems most hate is coming from the lack of minifigures. While there isn't a lot of figs Lego could of included, why not at least give us more dwarves in their Bo5A gear? This set comes out to be right around 15 cents per piece. That is really high for such an expensive set, most are around 8-10 cents. I am SURE this was due to Smaug. With a low piece count, why did Lego also have to skimp on minifigs as well?

As for the build... I dunno. I kinda feel the same way about this set as I did Dol Guldur Battle. It's like Lego nailed pieces of it, but as a whole it just doesn't really give the feel of Erebor. Dol Guldur had a lot of twisting stairs, multiple levels, and narrow corridors but based on the Lego set you would think it's just a wall with a huge court yard in the middle. I honestly don't even remember seeing the forge part in the film so it must not have been the overall tone the forge had going for it. Why not instead of that wall they included the big blower and maybe a statue? Then the set would of seemed to flow together better?

I don't think anyone is really complaining about Smaug. In fact I think he is generally recieving a lot of praise as the obvious star of the set. It seems most hate is coming from the lack of minifigures. While there isn't a lot of figs Lego could of included, why not at least give us more dwarves in their Bo5A gear? This set comes out to be right around 15 cents per piece. That is really high for such an expensive set, most are around 8-10 cents. I am SURE this was due to Smaug. With a low piece count, why did Lego also have to skimp on minifigs as well?

As for the build... I dunno. I kinda feel the same way about this set as I did Dol Guldur Battle. It's like Lego nailed pieces of it, but as a whole it just doesn't really give the feel of Erebor. Dol Guldur had a lot of twisting stairs, multiple levels, and narrow corridors but based on the Lego set you would think it's just a wall with a huge court yard in the middle. I honestly don't even remember seeing the forge part in the film so it must not have been the overall tone the forge had going for it. Why not instead of that wall they included the big blower and maybe a statue? Then the set would of seemed to flow together better?

And the 15 cents per piece and low fig count were the exact same numbers and same complaints we had with the Rancor set last year. It seems to go hand in hand with the big complex multi mold figs.

What a piece of junk! -Luke Skywalker

What a disappointment. Half the set is forgettable generic mine facade. The Throne with pillars is cool but is just weird standing alone. Smaug is...good, but not mind-blowing. The minifigures are pure garbage. I know we're mandated more Bilbos, but gawd, Dwarf reskins are such a damn waste. The AUJ gear looks cool for the Dwarves as it is. Did NOT need a new Balin or Dwalin. And there could at least be 7 or 8 figures, but five?! For 130 dollars? Even if there's a cut off section in the image, definitely waiting for a sale on this one. Lego flubbed up royal. And by not putting Thorin here, they waste the BO5A set by clogging it with useless main character rehashes. Guh. Praying that the 2015 Aussie LOTR wave rumor isn't bull, because talk about Tolkien lego going out with a whimper...

I'll wait to see what the real set looks like on display but this is seriously, seriously unimpressive. Maybe if it was $90 or at a stretch $100 I'd perk my head up. 130? Get outta town.

Now that I think on it...this set should have been the ATTACK on Erebor by Smaug. Smaug, Thror, Thrain, perhaps Young Thorin, a couple of Erebor Dwarves. Keep the rest of the set the same. Kiddies don't care about the minifigs in this one, the selling point is obviously Smaug. Now THAT would have made a set worth shelling out for. Who cares if it was from the flashback in AUJ and not TBO5A? The scenes in the sets have barely matched the movies at all for the majority of the Hobbit sets anyways.

Edited by Darth Caedus

My, my, my the ammount of flak around here is staggering. I for one like it. The mine section looks great. The colors are nice and it looks rather solid (appropiatly bulky). Smaug looks big and intimidating enough and the prospect of foldable wings is also nice. In terms of the figures provided: you are limited by the source material and I can understand why LEGO wouldn't want too many duplicates spread about the sets yet wanted enough of the dwarves in the other sets as selling points. It's a tough balance I guess. The price is a tad bit high but that goes for all the LOTR sets.

I think some of the color choises are bad in the set. Here is my fix for them:

give Fili brown pants. give dwalin dark tan pans + flesh hands, and Balin, black pants(or something, I haven't seen his mvie costume) to break up the same ccolor on torso and pants thing they got going. makes it look like pjs.

As far as I know, we don't have dark blue and dark green short legs yet, so I'd rather get those than the more movie-accurate ones you're suggesting :grin:

Kevin Ulrich from Brotherhood Workshop confirms that the set only includes five minifigs: https://www.facebook.com/BrotherhoodWorkshop :sadnew: I guess we can pretty much kiss the generic Dwarf/Elf soldiers goodbye then since there's still Thorin, Gandalf and Bard that probably need to be in 79016 and 79017 :angry:

My, my, my the ammount of flak around here is staggering.

It's understandable tough. LEGO got no one to blame but themselves if the fact that Smaug was so expensive that they had to put 5 uninteresting figs (that we've already got) and only 866 pieces in a 130 dollar set. Sure, licensed sets are a bit high in general but 0.15 cents a piece is WAY too high.

What a giant set of disappointments. Lets re-model the orc forge, add a throne and some shiny weapons and done. O, and don't forget to add a playmobil dragon!

3327.jpg

They should have finished the theme with a big bang. Please let those others sets be much better than this!

I really like Smaug's head. Could be used to make a nice starfighter :grin:

But I'm not convinced by the whole set... and not at that rumored price... :sceptic:

If you look at the two pictures (the low quality and the higher quality) you can see some colour diffences in some minifigs :sceptic:

Edited by hoiharry

I really don't understand the complaints about getting reskinned dwarves in this set. Aside from Bilbo and Smaug, who else were you expecting to see?

Seems quite medicore. Smaug's wings look neat and I like the throne part, but the mine is rather boring (I feel like we have seen similar things dozen times in the past) and five minifigs is not tempting enough. Probably still getting Balin and Dwalin from Bricklink.

I really don't understand the complaints about getting reskinned dwarves in this set. Aside from Bilbo and Smaug, who else were you expecting to see?

They could have come up with something. How about some Dwarf skeletons. Or they could have gone ahead and made a set about the first attack on Erebor, so we could get young Balin, etc.

It really grinds my gears that Fili/Kili is in the set when they're currently in Laketown in the movie. :angry:

The reveal is disappointing apart from Smaug really. And I don't see what the logic is in cutting part of the set out of the picture. If you're going to reveal a set, surely you'd reveal the whole thing. It makes no sense for a part of the set to have been cut out of the picture.

Ok, this set should be better, but now we have to hope that they give us Hobbit exclusive set (102xx) before the hobbit line wiil end.

Fanpeople are the most difficult to please i guess if i scan through these posts. I think this set is pretty cool. You get a part of the mines, smaug and five mini(mini)figs. For people who want more they can build more and use the scenery as a starting point or as an inspiration, right?

The drama of a too small amount of minifigs gets even by getting smaug i think.

@pathas: The set number would be 790xx since the 10xxx set numbers have been abolished (see 75059 Sandcrawler, 76023 Tumbler etc) :wink: As I've said before, I doubt such a set would be released for the lack of potential scenes/locations they haven't already covered :laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Disappointing. I don't pretend Smaug should be entirely built from small bricks but this is really a Playmobil smaug, target 4 to 6 years old children. And whatever they put aside Smaug it is not so cool as well... :sceptic: