It sit too flat in the air and some how made a perfect horizontal 90 degree rotation between pictures. Also I can see the digital pixel alteration with my computers magnifying glass.

It sit too flat in the air and some how made a perfect horizontal 90 degree rotation between pictures. Also I can see the digital pixel alteration with my computers magnifying glass.

ThisLooksShopped.jpg

I do agree though - there's blue pins on the ends of the rotor arms in the second picture that I don't see in the first. Maybe the blue friction pins are being used as a way to pin the fishing line to the model?

That it made a 90 degree rotation is not so strange. Could be two separate "flights".

Seeing the digital alterations would definitely be a proof of an hoax. Can you show the digital picture alteration?

@Phoxtane:

You don't see the blue pins because the whole model is rotated with 90°. If you look more careful, all blue pins are there in both pictures, it's just the blue pins are not attached to the ends of both arm-pairs.

Hi

if still someone thinks this is for real - you have not read and or understand Blakbirds post.

Regarding photo ediing (i hate calling this photoshopping because you can do this with many programs):

Even with a high resolution camera and a very good lens at perfect focus point it is hard to see in the final image a thin Nylon string, fishing line. It is just a pixel or something wide in the final high resolution image. If you clone the neighbour pixels over the string carefully AND reduce the resolution down like this image, you will never see it.

Dino

Regarding the stability problem: we have only seen 2 pictures. Is it possible that the one of the probe flights was stable for the first two seconds?

if still someone thinks this is for real - you have not read and or understand Blakbirds post.

I hear you and I do understand Blakbirds post, but I would like some actual proof that this is fake, instead of a conclusion based on theoretical facts and assumptions. Like Lipko said; could be that one of the two flights was stable for a few seconds. Statistically he could have tried lots of times and these where the best results.

I know it's probably bogus, but I like to think it could be real. I just want to believe :laugh::tongue:

Too bad we don't get to see the blades. That would probably end this discussion once and for all.

Going off the size ratio between the motor, other elements and the propellers, I want to know which Lego props they're using. And what voltage they're feeding into that M motor. I suspect if you overvolt it it would work for a while. Freeze it overnight in a plastic bag, whip it out of the freezer, pump 30 volts into it... lots of power.

Stability could possibly be achieved by the limited flexibility of the power cord. All you need is surplus lift. Think of it like the tail on a kite.

Edited by Moz

I just asked creator, he told me he built it with only lego parts and no any modification of parts, and no video and only this two pics, then now he is making instructions.

I just asked creator, he told me he built it with only lego parts and no any modification of parts, and no video and only this two pics, then now he is making instructions.

Really anxious to see what he comes up with :sweet:

If he delivers, that is...

No need for instructions - one clear image of rotor with blades would be enough. If construction won't be flying, instructions will be a scam.

The best 100% LEGO wings you can use for lift are those found in this Education set:

http://education.lego.com/en-us/lego-education-product-database/machines-and-mechanisms/9688-renewable-energy-add-on-set

Having 4 propellers running from a single M-motor will not create anywhere near enough lift, but it is a nice way to show how to connect the mechanism should one want to use a single motor for such an application.

It is a shame that he claims that it flies.

Sariel:

I think it couldn't be the blades of the 9396, regarding the size of the frame. So, if this creation could fly, without modifications, it would be different blades, which seems better.

Also, doesn't that rubber tip add more weigth instead of helping to lift off?

Sariel:

I think it couldn't be the blades of the 9396, regarding the size of the frame. So, if this creation could fly, without modifications, it would be different blades, which seems better.

I'm not saying these blades were used here, they're obviously way too big. I don't know about the rubber tip's aerodynamic properties, but it's rather small and stiff.

Seems he is making lots of excuses :tongue:

Flying Dream Tian : fly battery is dead so far

2014-1-3 16:46 Reply

Zangland : Reply Flying Dream Tian: about how long?

2014-1-3 16:50 Reply

Flying Dream Tian : I once made ??up nearly half an hour

2014-1-3 16:54 Reply

Zangland : Reply Flying Dream Tian: But why not take some pictures of it? So long, then?

2014-1-3 17:27 Reply

Flying Dream Tian : phone memory problems

Fly battery dead, phone memory problems.... :laugh:

I'm not saying these blades were used here, they're obviously way too big. I don't know about the rubber tip's aerodynamic properties, but it's rather small and stiff.

I know that, I just mean IF this creation would fly with ONLY original Lego pieces, it seems there are better lego blades than the 9396 :)

Back in the early 80's these things were all all the rage in my school playground, the teachers liked them because they were quiet, lol...

My friend who had a lot of lego pushed a axel into the blades and attached it to a 3v lego motor (I think) and ran 12v though it with a transformer, it had some ground effect but never came close to flying.

Edited by JM1971

Sariel:

The problem with these blades is rather the weight and small surface area. While Sariel is right that these look more like real wings, the resulting lift you get from putting them onto a LEGO motor is diminishing compared to the power you get from the wings of the Education set - these were actually developed for experiments of this nature.

The main thing that I am having trouble believing isn't the physics involved, but more so the fact that someone would create this, get it to successfully fly, and not make some type of recording.. It is near impossible to find any device now a days that takes pictures and not video...

I mean obviously while you build it you continually test it, so why would you not record a few seconds of video to show the world and only 2 pictures..?

The main thing that I am having trouble believing isn't the physics involved, but more so the fact that someone would create this, get it to successfully fly, and not make some type of recording.. It is near impossible to find any device now a days that takes pictures and not video...

I mean obviously while you build it you continually test it, so why would you not record a few seconds of video to show the world and only 2 pictures..?

Because he is having phone memory issues :laugh::tongue: