I see, still plenty big enough for a medium sized RC Crawler.

I've just discovered the inventory pages on BrickLink! What a stroke of genius that website is!

Got 42005 through the post today! Will refrain from opening it before Xmas day as it is kinda a present to myself (no-one else buys me anything - cue violins!).

I'm interested in getting hold of a bigger set so that I have a stock of liftarms, but mainly the new style gears and differentials, the old ones won't last long with my XL motor I wouldn't have thought. I'm not too bothered by LAs, I have 8868 if I want to go down that route.

I could probably push the boat out to £150, but spending upwards of £200 is out I'm afraid. From what I see of the 1H2014 sets, there's nothing that really takes my fancy.

Whaddya think? Or perhaps I'd be better off getting the gears and diffs on BrickLink?

I think Bricklink is your best option here. But thinking about it again, I think a set with lots of liftarms, gears, and motors (i.e. 9398) would also be good. I think it's just a matter of what you want though.

Get a used 8043, i think you will find it at the amount of money you have. It has rc parts and 4 motors, lots of gears. It is a wonderful set !

Got 42005 through the post today! Will refrain from opening it before Xmas day as it is kinda a present to myself (no-one else buys me anything - cue violins!).

I'm interested in getting hold of a bigger set so that I have a stock of liftarms, but mainly the new style gears and differentials, the old ones won't last long with my XL motor I wouldn't have thought. I'm not too bothered by LAs, I have 8868 if I want to go down that route.

I could probably push the boat out to £150, but spending upwards of £200 is out I'm afraid. From what I see of the 1H2014 sets, there's nothing that really takes my fancy.

Whaddya think? Or perhaps I'd be better off getting the gears and diffs on BrickLink?

If you can find one at a decent price, get the 8258 Crane Truck ... IMHO one of the best studless sets.

This is the one set that really tickles my fancy. Shame that the price is so damn high - the cheapest I can find is £250 in the UK for a used one.

Perhaps the prices will come down a bit after Xmas, or is this wishful thinking?!

hello hello! iv just started to get into technic sets. im crossing over from system. my technic sets are limited to a select few 8110 8109 42009 9397 9398 and 8146 at the moment.

i would like to get some older sets 8043 or 8258 the both seem to be round the same price. which one and why

cheers dougstar

Ufff, it is very hard to compare 8043 and 8258. First of all, 8043 is a fully RC machine, it has a lot of gears, 4 motors, 2 receivers, bottom line a lot of PF things. The part count is is not as high as the Crane Truck. On the other hand, 8258 Crane Truck stands out from the crowd as being imho, the best looking technic model ever created (close behind is 8285). At 1800+ pieces, you get an XL motor, a switch, a lot of useful parts/gears/etc.

There is only one good advice to give you, get them both if you can. They are really nice sets.

Depends what you want to do with your sets.

If you buy to display on a shelf, then either will be fine. They're both great in their own way.

If you buy based on playability, then the RC components make 8043 funner to play with.

If you like to build mocs and you are looking for a good parts pack, then I would buy 8258 for the parts and whatever PF elements you want from the LEGO website.

hello hello! iv just started to get into technic sets. im crossing over from system. my technic sets are limited to a select few 8110 8109 42009 9397 9398 and 8146 at the moment.

i would like to get some older sets 8043 or 8258 the both seem to be round the same price. which one and why

cheers dougstar

It depends on whether you want to play with it or not. 8043 is more fun to play and you get a full set of PF elements to motorize your other sets (e.g. make ultimate 42009). 8258 on the other hand is less fun to play with but to me it gives a better building experience (awesome gearbox!) and looks way better (yes sir! best looking Technic set ever!). Of course it would be best to have them both - but if I had to choose one I would go for 8258. Funny thing is that 8258 was the set that brought me from my dark ages ;)

(close behind is 8285)

I beg to differ - 8258 looks complete and full whereas 8285 looks like an empty shell if viewed from less than 2 meters ;). Blah, I am spoiled - I used to like 8285 and then I got 5571 - 8285 looks like a joke standing next to the Black Cat

I beg to differ - 8258 looks complete and full whereas 8285 looks like an empty shell if viewed from less than 2 meters ;). Blah, I am spoiled - I used to like 8285 and then I got 5571 - 8285 looks like a joke standing next to the Black Cat

You are right in one way, it does look empty viewed upclose, but the truck looks awesome just as a display model. I have it now right to the 8258 and they both look great. Too bad 8285 is unfinished on the inside.

well im still up in the air here, guess..ill have to....well what i want is......darn going to have to start saving and get both :-p

I am tossing up between 8110 and 9398. I am guessing 8110 will go EOL first?

8110 has a larger part count and better variety of parts (pneumatics) , but 9398 has two L and two Servo motors....

8110 will be gone sooner (retail).

Parts or PF? Quite the dilemma.... Buy both!

I can buy one set but I don't know wich one.

The sets I can choose between are:

Reasons I want the set

Because of all the yellow parts, the motor and this part:

post-100079-0-41202200-1388316074_thumb.jpg

post-100079-0-21938800-1388316200.jpg

Because of the motors, the receiver and the controller.

All the sets will be for parts.

I already have 1 controller and 2 receivers and a m motor

So wich set should I buy?

I just realized that the part from 42925 that I mostly wanted is also in 42009. So I deleted that one.

Edited by LegoMonkeyMan

9398 is the best part set if you want to build cars. 2 L motors, 1 servo motor, lots of useful other parts. 42009 is useful if you want to build construction vehicles.

Edited by jantjeuh

9398 is the best part set if you want to build cars. 2 L motors, 1 servo motor, lots of useful other parts. 42009 is useful if you want to build construction vehicles.

I second that. If you are looking for RCing stuff, then you cant ask for better set. V2 receiver, 2 large motors and most important - servo motor. It has a good selection of parts for anything that is going to be on the wheels and with suspension.

I am thinking of picking up 42009 too, but it has way too many yellow parts for my liking. In the end you cant beat 2600 parts for that price.

I think I have made my decision.

I probably will buy the 9398 because I already have the 8421, and the 42009 is just a big version of it in my eyes.

If anyone thinks something else please say it.

Also 9398 will be gone sooner than 42009 - it may happen that you will be able to get this set e.g. later this year.

Also 9398 will be gone sooner than 42009 - it may happen that you will be able to get this set e.g. later this year.

Yeah you're right.

Now I can go buy it. :laugh:

hello lug heads! heres my situation. looking at buy 9398 or 8110, i already have both these sets but there is an opportunity to get an extra. one the one hand 9398 has all the PF gear and then ill have eight tires from the crawler and twice the PF. then flip side 8110 has 700 extra parts. then bricklink the PF servo and remote setup. what i want to build is a 8x8x8 crawler. which technic set should i buy?

cheers doug

hello lug heads! heres my situation. looking at buy 9398 or 8110, i already have both these sets but there is an opportunity to get an extra. one the one hand 9398 has all the PF gear and then ill have eight tires from the crawler and twice the PF. then flip side 8110 has 700 extra parts. then bricklink the PF servo and remote setup. what i want to build is a 8x8x8 crawler. which technic set should i buy?

cheers doug

I think 9398 if you intend to build a large crawler.