What are the cheapest set with suspension and cheapest set with pneumatics. I'm guessing the cheapest suspension set for ones available is 42038 and pneumatics 42053. Which makes me wanna buy the 42038 cause it's kinda not bad for the price.

42038 is a great set I have 2 of them just for parts. Not sure if its cheapest but for what you get well worth it. Especially if you can get it on sale at a place like Toys r Us. Also regarding 42053 definitely a most have for builder who wants pneumatic parts and good selection of Technic pieces. I had to get one as soon as they were released and glad I did.

Another set I found which is good is the Street Motorcycle 42036. Good parts, panels, and the longer shocks in black. I bought 2 just for shocks, the wheels/tires, and chain links included.

Edited by ScaleCarModels

What are the cheapest set with suspension and cheapest set with pneumatics. I'm guessing the cheapest suspension set for ones available is 42038 and pneumatics 42053. Which makes me wanna buy the 42038 cause it's kinda not bad for the price.

It really depends on what is the price of 42038 and 42053 together. Maybe in this case the 42043 would be better. If you are looking for just suspension parts, the 42037 is cheaper and comes with hard springs

Oops I forgot about 42037 but as for functions the 42038 functions and the arcs btw is a great set but as for price I can't afford it and considering the functions I'm not ready for them yet I need to have some more experience Before buying 42038. After all if I buy 42038 and buy some Wheels with pin holes to replace those tracks and voila! a great set.

Edited by Kmuffin

The BWE isn't bad, only too big, the 42056 is the worst - it seems unfinished and a loser compared to it's predecessor 8070

Edited by LXF

Okay. Wanna buy 42043, 42053. 42055 or 42056, but I have a difficult time comparing them, what are the best recommendation?

Definitely 42043. It has everything in it. Pneumatics, suspension, motorized, engine and lots of functions, which work perfectly. Still available for a good price (+- 170 euro's).

Stay away from 42055 and 42056, those are just statements (try outs) from Lego. They look ok, but the functions lack/suffer big time.

42053 is also a nice one... Works great, looks nice and is cheap.

How about 42042? Great gearbox, functions work perfectly, big and looks great. And cheap, around 100 euro's. :-)

Edited by Bering

My first post in this forum. I am from the Netherlands. My English is a bit rusty, but hopefully it will do :classic: I need some advice in terms of which set to buy (first and second).

I am back in the game for LEGO Technic, but not entirely sure how my money's best spend in 2016. Back in the 80's I started as a kid with set 8851. Absolutely loved it! Unfortunately I have no idea where the set is these days; still searching for it.

The following sets got my attention:

• 42030 - Remote-Controlled VOLVO L350F Wheel Loader
  • 42043 - Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245
  • 42009 - Mobile Crane MK II
  • 8043 - Motorized Excavator

8043 and 42009 are no longer in production and unsure how much longer 42030 will be in production. I favour 8043 and 42043; they simply look awesome.

I might opt for used market, but Dutch prices for 8043 are €200 and up from what I saw. Yes, 8043 is great, but I got a feeling I 42043 is much better value for money. Some doubt as I like the excavator a lot, but objective reasoning tells me I better go with 42043 as it's still available in stores.

Suppose I would go for 42043 Which set would pair well with it? Q1

In terms of playability I am thinking of 42030. In terms of a good Technic bricks collection base I am thinking of 42009 because of all the gears and such. Not sure if this reason is good enough.

However, if I were to opt for 42030, is it still wise to buy 42043 first? Can I rest assured that 42030 will still be plenty long in production? Q2

[EDIT]

After posting I noticed 42042 being mentioned in the previous post. Also motorized. Hmm, 42043 in combination with 42042? Might give me a good Technic start as well and save me a few bucks?

Edited by Ardy

42030 is still available for 189 euro's. But i think next year will be difficult. Prices will rise a lot... 42043 will be longer available. Together they can be a lot of fun. And you have tons of parts for MOC's. I think you made a wise choice.

IMO:

get a 42030 and 42042.

why?

42042 is amazing. overlooked treasure. MOCable, lots of gears, axles, heaps of beams, great part set. And A-Model is (IMO) best looking (and working! - which is sadly not a rule) A-model in recent years. And blue looks great.

42030 will be gone from production soon, and price will fly over the clouds. It is full of motors.

42030+42042 will give you wheels+tracks, PF + gearboxes, yellow + blue (flag of Sweden would agree with me it is good colour combo), win+win either way.

42030 is still available for 189 euro's. But i think next year will be difficult. Prices will rise a lot... 42043 will be longer available. Together they can be a lot of fun. And you have tons of parts for MOC's. I think you made a wise choice.

IMO:

get a 42030 and 42042.

why?

42042 is amazing. overlooked treasure. MOCable, lots of gears, axles, heaps of beams, great part set. And A-Model is (IMO) best looking (and working! - which is sadly not a rule) A-model in recent years. And blue looks great.

42030 will be gone from production soon, and price will fly over the clouds. It is full of motors.

42030+42042 will give you wheels+tracks, PF + gearboxes, yellow + blue (flag of Sweden would agree with me it is good colour combo), win+win either way.

So in conclusion:

42043+42030 for good component collection and great playability value

42042+42030 for better component collection and good playability value

42043+42042 not recommended. Or jumping to conclusions too quickly :sweet:

How about production for 42042? Newer model?

Edited by Ardy

edit: deleted. after edit of previous post by Ardy, this post is pointless.

Edited by J_C

I just found out I get a 10% discount as a new customer with MyToys.de in Germany. 42030 for €168 is a no-brainer now.

Having a closer look at 42042 and 43042 now as secondary set.

Thanks so far!

@Vassal: My apologies for editing my post. You made a fair point regarding 42042 which I left out by mistake.

Stay away from 42055 and 42056, those are just statements (try outs) from Lego. They look ok, but the functions lack/suffer big time.

Can't speak with regard to 42056 as I don't have one, but 42055 with careful building and attention to all the steps that involve some form of friction of moving parts it can be made to perform as designed, plus there are ample opportunities for modifying it. I don't think it should be dismissed out of hand.

If you can find the 8043 and 42009 for a reasonable price, go for them. Don't forget the rule of "Buy older sets first". But if you are looking for a great parts packing, go for 42030 and 42043

If you can find the 8043 and 42009 for a reasonable price, go for them. Don't forget the rule of "Buy older sets first". But if you are looking for a great parts packing, go for 42030 and 42043

That's it really. Not sure yet what's a reasonable price for both 8043 and 42009. I keep an eye on the used market to get a sense of things and see if a good opportunity presents itselves. For now I have ordered a 42030. It's an impressive model and comes with a nice remote power functions set. Almost ordered a 42042 along with it, but haha... it exceeds my budget for this month. :laugh:

Tesco Direct is doing the 42042 for £80

Thanks. £76.5 at MyToys but it will have to wait. Thanks folks.

Any Singaporeans here I guess not but I guess the cheapest place to buy sets is toys r us here but also what stores in other countries have the cheapest maybe I could look to see if there are cheaper ones in Singapore. Set I wanna buy is 42038

Edited by Kmuffin

Hello, I'm a technic newbie, after read all suggestions I bought the 24 Hours race car set 42039 due to good A and B model and gorgeous virtual endless C-models

Kind Regards.

Hello, I'm a technic newbie, after read all suggestions I bought the 24 Hours race car set 42039 due to good A and B model and gorgeous virtual endless C-models

Kind Regards.

My first model as well for the exact same reasons! I also have the 42009 ordered (since I am skeptical a year from now it will be available for any sane price - got it for 240 eur) and 42030 (same reason). All vendors I have checked with (regarding possible box damage) have said that the 42030 is not going to be available next year, which is somewhat to be expected.

My question, can I reliably expect all 2015 sets to still be available in 2017? If not, what are the 42030s of 2015 (i.e. buy before the price skyrockets)? I am assuming the Arocs?

A big thanks to the people who brought the 42042 to my attention! In the end I couldn't help myself and bought the 42042 as well. I even received the 42042 before the 42030 arrived. And I must say, although the 42030 looks impressive in terms of box size, motor count, fully RC and so forth, I will most definitely build the 42042 first. It surprised me.

To be honest, I did jump on the train and bought the 42030 as it's the older model, but having physically seen the 42043 in a brick-and-mortar store again, I do wonder if I hadn't been better off with the 42043; more parts, suspension, pneumatics and PF (though less) and both got RC. Got a few days left to decide whether to return itt or not. Some doubt.

But anyway, I am a very happy 42042 owner :-)

Edited by Ardy

21 minutes ago, Ardy said:

To be honest, I did jump on the train and bought the 42030 as it's the older model, but having physically seen the 42043 in a brick-and-mortar store again, I do wonder if I hadn't been better off with the 42043; more parts, suspension, pneumatics and PF (though less) and both got RC.

42043 doesn't have RC as far as I know. 42030 is the only currently available RC model, until we get the "RC Tracked Racer" surprisingly cheap set in 1H 2017.

1 hour ago, Huaojozu said:

42043 doesn't have RC as far as I know. 42030 is the only currently available RC model, until we get the "RC Tracked Racer" surprisingly cheap set in 1H 2017.

Must have been because of all the MODS results on the net that I mixed things up. Indeed the original does have PF but no RC.

So what it boils down to is, investing in more motors and RC (I suppose the electronic parts is what makes this set expensive), or choosing 42043 with more parts, wheels, suspension, pneumatics and PF (though less extensive). Both sets their own strengths. Not sure how expensive motors and RC are if I'd buy them separately; 42030 is a must-have coz I get the RC/motors cheap? Will check it out. I do like the model a lot, but as a newbie I am unsure which set will give me greater joy; probably bought a bit too quick :-P 

Edited by Ardy

2 hours ago, Ardy said:

Must have been because of all the MODS results on the net that I mixed things up. Indeed the original does have PF but no RC.

So what it boils down to is, investing in more motors and RC (I suppose the electronic parts is what makes this set expensive), or choosing 42043 with more parts, wheels, suspension, pneumatics and PF (though less extensive). Both sets their own strengths. Not sure how expensive motors and RC are if I'd buy them separately; 42030 is a must-have coz I get the RC/motors cheap? Will check it out. I do like the model a lot, but as a newbie I am unsure which set will give me greater joy; probably bought a bit too quick :-P 

You can always sell the 42030 a year or so from now once it's no longer on the market (maybe even for profit), as it's expected to still be in high demand due to the complete PF/RC package.

Get 42055 and count how many rectangular frame parts you have now!! The BWE is also fun to play with. 

42030 is also a nice to have. But you can buy PF parts separately from the Lego store. Note that the receiver in 42030 are not v2 but v1. Also note that the PF servo control with the controller bundled with 42030 does not work smootly. In fact, it's better to get SBrick with PF motors and battery packs separately unless you specifically need the huge bucket.

42043 is also a nice to have but you can now get those v2 pneumatic parts from 42053. It is nice to build and has tons of parts, though.

If you are into cars, I would not recommend the Porsche (42056) since its price is holy cow grade and even instruction has wrong figure. Get 42039 if you want to MOC any cars and some people made up 3rd and 4th build(I've seen a muscle car and F1 racer) for 42039. With price of 42056, you can buy 42039[x2 amazon.com sells at 100]+42037+42050(that rear wheels!!)+some snacks to consume while you build them.

Edited by Taris9047