Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

I have been thinking about digital entries (especially for the MT contest), but wouldn't it be a bit unfair to allow digital entries vs real life builds? Building digitally means you will have unlimited parts available.

Yes, with digital builds number of parts is not limited. That's why I suggested digital entries only for C-model contest. I think in case of C-model contest digital entries are acceptable since they do not give any real advanatage.

For me the digital entries would be also acceptable also for the model team contest but I also understand why they are not allowed. I am just affraid that number of entries will not be so high, since the size limits are quite high and therefore only more experienced collectors/builders will have enough bricks in right colors.

What about a combo, digital model out of parts of a predetirment C model? You can also build IRL if needed.

For me the digital entries would be also acceptable also for the model team contest but I also understand why they are not allowed. I am just affraid that number of entries will not be so high, since the size limits are quite high and therefore only more experienced collectors/builders will have enough bricks in right colors.

This is exactly my fear and therefor I would like to change the rules for this contest and allow Digital entries.

I think the real building is very important and it has to be obligatory!!! , but if you don't have right colours the LDD can show your imagination about the colour scheme.

I think the real building is very important and it has to be obligatory!!! , but if you don't have right colours the LDD can show your imagination about the colour scheme.

I agree. What I fear is that people will only be making digital entries and since this is not the LDD forum, I prefer models with real bricks.

For Model Team I am about to make an exception, to increase activity in the contest. But for future contests, like the C-model contest, I will most likely not allow digital entries.

I agree. What I fear is that people will only be making digital entries and since this is not the LDD forum, I prefer models with real bricks.

For Model Team I am about to make an exception, to increase activity in the contest. But for future contests, like the C-model contest, I will most likely not allow digital entries.

:thumbup:

So, In the actual Model Team contest the LDD model can be acceptable, or not? Because in the information Ropic the rules contain this: "Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry."?

:thumbup:

So, In the actual Model Team contest the LDD model can be acceptable, or not? Because in the information Ropic the rules contain this: "Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry."?

I have posed the question in the information topic. If there are no objections, I will change the rules and make an announcement.

I have posed the question in the information topic. If there are no objections, I will change the rules and make an announcement.

Ok, i understand :classic:

A security suggestion for the next contest. To be sure that no one modify his/her model after the allowed time the administrator of the contest should copy the photos for each model to a safe place and link to them instead of using the original link. This is because there a number of ways to change them after submission (even with the topic closed and without editing the reply) like I did (at the time of writting this) in my entry topic http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97822entry1947558

A security suggestion for the next contest. To be sure that no one modify his/her model after the allowed time the administrator of the contest should copy the photos for each model to a safe place and link to them instead of using the original link. This is because there a number of ways to change them after submission (even with the topic closed and without editing the reply) like I did (at the time of writting this) in my entry topic http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97822&#entry1947558

You are absolutely true. This was raised during the previous contest as well.

However, I do pay close attention to the voting topic. And I stored all the images locally just before opening the voting topic. So if anyone is cheating, we will probably find out.

So yes, you are right. But I'd like to think that we are all fair competitors :wink:

People could also easily omit some parts from the part list, but again, I'd like to think that they didn't.

PS I am thinking about storing all entries in a database, so I can generate the voting post automatically and avoid cheating.

I understand, that people are cheating during elections, Miss Universe, Tour de France, Olympic games etc...

But during AFOL community contest?

I hope that everybody want to be a fair competitor and we will not ask Jim for army information system security measures. :classic:

Well spoken. Exactly my thoughts :thumbup:

PS I am thinking about storing all entries in a database, so I can generate the voting post automatically and avoid cheating.

Maybe we can create a script or tool that directly accesses the forum database which can generate voting post, or check&aggregate votes etc. I'm not familiar with forum software ( or other web-related software ), but being a software engineer, I would be glad to be of help.

Maybe we can create a script or tool that directly accesses the forum database which can generate voting post, or check&aggregate votes etc. I'm not familiar with forum software ( or other web-related software ), but being a software engineer, I would be glad to be of help.

That's more or less what I had in mind, although I was thinking of letting the user manually upload his/her entry. If we could somehow parse the topic content, that would be helpful. Any good with regular expressions and parsing?! :wink:

That's more or less what I had in mind, although I was thinking of letting the user manually upload his/her entry. If we could somehow parse the topic content, that would be helpful. Any good with regular expressions and parsing?! :wink:

Can't say I'm very good, but I have some experience (and some cheat sheets :D ). Maybe if you tell me what you need (and how to access the data), I can try some things with the topics related to the MINI contest. I'm guessing we need to parse the BBCode of the posts in the entry & voting thread?

Hello!

There are loads of diffrent contest around this forum. I really like small projects (i have only 1 big set) so i came up with idea of making contest for 4 wheeled fully RC vechicle (chassis) with as LESS as possible parts. What You think?

Edit. I mean, it doesn't have to be actual contest, actually i just want to see what You came up with :)

Edited by Dorino

I have some pics of a small speed car I tried to make a while back. It had no steering and seemed about 100 pieces. i'll try to post the pics tomorrow

Something we should include is a bodywork requirement and maybe some chassis requirements too, because I could just strap a motor to a few wheels and call it a car. Otherwise, this is a very interesting idea :classic:

@Dorino

I have merged your question with this topic.

Personally i rather a contest as open as possible. I would be against on a paid entry for contests. If that means there is no prize, so be it. The recognition seems enough of a prize.

Also, concerning the mini-contest, i'd rather only have a limit in part count, not a limit in physical size. Finally i don't see why you'd want to exclude certain themes from the mini-contest. The last mini-contest was a huge success and there was a huge variation in the builds. But perhaps i am misunderstanding the intent.

Edited by Kelkschiz

I'm fine without prizes too, a mini RC contest would be cool, maybe build a tiny trial truck (maybe have different size limits based on number of axles) or maybe a contest that would be only tracked vehicles. I really enjoyed the past model team contest, it is fun to see what others have come up with. :classic: I'm not too fond of part limits, a size limit seems to be best, it doesn't inhibit creativity as much as a part limit, it's also somewhat frustrating to have to take apart a model to count each part.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

As long as we're suggesting contest themes...

I would like to see a contest whereby an unusual mechanism or part combination is presented, and folks have to build something that incorporates that. For example, I noticed a while ago that the engine piston rods have the same ball as many other parts with a ball joint, so I'd like to see what creations people can come up with that connect a piston rod with a link (or a steering arm, or anything that you normally use in a ball joint).

Or make something that uses wheels for something other than rolling on the ground supporting the weight of the model.

Or make something that uses a Geneva mechanism, or a planetary gear, or ... or ... or lots of things.