SkaForHire

Book II - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

It's a very nice picture. But anything you build there could crumble into the sea without notice! Near Gorr would be good, or somewhere on the eastern seas where the mountains meet the ocean.

That's a sweet pic - some great ideas there. It would work anywhere there is sedementary sandstone/limestone cliffs i guess, although it could also be explained in a fantasy setting by magical forces/damage, or rock eating creatures that died out in the past etc. No need to stick to a rational reason! :wink:

On the map I have saved, there is an inlet bay due east of Qarkyr. It is a place where salt water meets fresh water. This is the most likely place in Kaliphlin for this.

The image makes the buildings seem overgrown, and long out of use. I have always imagined the southern Rakath Mountains to be equatorial rainforest. This is how I have portrayed the unsettled areas of the Nestlands. I even did an LDD MOC of a swampy spring that was once a temple site long before the Nestlands Clans immigration.

Sultan's Gate build posted. This is a new type of presentation for me with all 4 sides. What do you guys think?

13758881284_4ca0a2d542_n.jpg

:classic:

If I am constructing a free build wherefore a question in regards to it is directed only at Kaliphlinites (and the build is exclusively meant for their viewing), should it be posted in this thread or should I compose a new topic?

^Here or in the flickr group, which I have just invited you to.

Edited by robuko

Do you know the cause of rock formations like that? I ask because I think we have established that the outer islands of the inland sea are somewhat volcanic. However, that was the southern islands. These could be in the North. Additionally, there is that small island chain that is south of the Inland Sea and west of Gorr. Those could perhaps hold these? Or the southern Island below Gorr like you said. Or I suppose these could even be near where the Rakath Mountains meat the sea.

That pic is pretty dang cool! But I agree it should be near Gorr.

It's a very nice picture. But anything you build there could crumble into the sea without notice! Near Gorr would be good, or somewhere on the eastern seas where the mountains meet the ocean.

That's a sweet pic - some great ideas there. It would work anywhere there is sedementary sandstone/limestone cliffs i guess, although it could also be explained in a fantasy setting by magical forces/damage, or rock eating creatures that died out in the past etc. No need to stick to a rational reason! :wink:

On the map I have saved, there is an inlet bay due east of Qarkyr. It is a place where salt water meets fresh water. This is the most likely place in Kaliphlin for this.

The image makes the buildings seem overgrown, and long out of use. I have always imagined the southern Rakath Mountains to be equatorial rainforest. This is how I have portrayed the unsettled areas of the Nestlands. I even did an LDD MOC of a swampy spring that was once a temple site long before the Nestlands Clans immigration.

So somewhere on Kaliphlin's eastern coast? I was thinking we could place some uninhabited ruins on the map such as this for exploration purposes.

Go for it Mike.

Good news - Masa's new armour comes on a keychain (scolder)

The Sirocco is up and running (sailing :laugh: ) for greater glory!

13779430924_c5682c9efc_n.jpg

Edited by qiadris

Another thing I have been thinking about is to have a single map image that we all have access to plot out our ideas instead of having a million and one posts and images for our cartographer to track down for an official map update. Here is a list of potential solutions. What are your thoughts on this matter?

Another thing I have been thinking about is to have a single map image that we all have access to plot out our ideas instead of having a million and one posts and images for our cartographer to track down for an official map update. Here is a list of potential solutions. What are your thoughts on this matter?

That looks like a good idea. We could have a offsite map that we can all access, and then NM can come back once in a while and update the official map. This would make his (volunteer!) job much easier I think. I know he is a busy guy as it is.

Kaliphlinites - First order of business, I know we had more than three entries for Oil for Mitgardia challenge, but I could only find Mike S's, Kai's, and Gideon's. So, whoever I am missing, please let me know so I can set up a voting thread. Yeah, I know, I am like 2 months late on this. These three (and the other entries) now have earned membership into the Order of the External Flame, Kaliphlin's humanitarian agency in Mitgardia. The voting will be for the title of "Heating Oil Czar of Kaliphlin."

NEW CRISIS!!!! NEW MINI-CHALLENGE!

Plague in Avalonia! Word has it that plague has spread in Avalonia, now is the time for the brothers and sisters of Kaliphlin to come together and send supplies to the plague-ridden lands of the West. Kaliphlin Cotton, while perfect for bed sheets and mummy wraps, can also be used to make superb bandages. Plague victims often have skin irritations and boils that must be bandaged to prevent further damage, and thus Avalonia will need many bandages. Unfortunately, the dead are also in need of linen, as bodies are often wrapped in large bandaging cloth before burial. Many trading companies have agreed to send their overstock at low prices to Avalonia to help in their time of need. However, the excess delivery needs demands that non-scheduled trips must be made to the region by individuals that would like to help. If you do not have cotton of your own to take to Avalonia, you may pick a load up from GEAR Co.'s Barqa warehouse for transit. Please remember to use protective clothing when in Avalonia.

THE CHALLENGE: By May 1st (anywhere in the world) post a MOC of Kaliphlinites providing Avalonians with bandages. It can be by sea, by river, by giant eagle, by teleport, just get them some cotton bandages!The MOC can be of any size, and does not have to include your sig fig. The only requirement is that it depicts a Kaliphlinite delivering bandages to an Avalonian aid agency or individual in need. The winner of this mini-challenge will earn the title "Cotton Transport Czar of Kaliphlin." We will let all Kaliphlinites vote for the winner. Everyone who participates in this humanitarian effort will be considered part of the Order of the Green Tree, Kaliphlin's humanitarian agency in Avalonia .

Brothers and sisters, with our good fortunes, we can not sit by while other Historicans suffer, get those cotton transports moving!

Edited by SkaForHire

@Ska: I definetely love all those funky ideas you're constantly coming up with! Too bad that there is this ocean and those financial constraints between me and meeting you in person!

GoH is waking up again, I like it very much! I was sad earlier today when I realized I spent more time over at the Lands of Roawia forums nowadays and were thinking more and more of builds for that. Time to get down to some Historica building again!

"Plague-ridden?" It almost sounds like GEAR Co. is doing all it can to artificially create demand - I wouldn't be surprised if they had staged this whole plague affair solely to drum up business.

Well, supply and demand, capitalism, it's the basis of Kaliphlin....but we also care about saving people....as long as it's still profitable

Hmm, by teleport?? I was going to enter my frustrating ship for the oil delivery but it went to the GNAR instead. The Avalonia challenge looks really interesting! I am siding with de Gothia and that way I can make a story of this mini challenge and my Avalonia build.

Gideon, we need you here! Kayne too!

Edited by robuko

Ska, major props for creativity. You keep adding to the eclectic nature of Kaliphlin in a very good way. Keep it up!

I'm here...and definitely participating. The lull between challenge 1 and this seemed so long, I just played around with other things as well

Since I have no plans to build for Challenge II, I may push to finish the Nestlands Market for this. It has sat for some time while other things have gone on here.

There are Avalonians abroad in the east, but will soon want to return home with as many provisions as possible. Mitgardian shipping magnate, Lord Andrius Hierre is willing to offer working berths on any of his ships going as far as Eastgate for Avalonians in need of transport.

Isn't it funny that from the Nestlands you have to travel west to get to Eastgate.

It is the gate to the East for Avalonians, it is the Entrance to Kaliphlin. It used to be an Avalonian city, that is the origin of the name :) More to come about Eastgate... probably tomorrow after I finish the build. Oh yeah... more challenges ahead in the next week.

Gosh, it's all happening! Challenges, mini-challenges... lots to play for! I'm still working on a merchant ship for the GNAR challange, was trying to get the waves motorised last night, man was that a hilarious fail. :laugh: Hopefully i'll be done with that by the end of the week and i can start thinking about the warship i want to build. :thumbup:

Nice challenge Ska. I will probably sit out for this one (maybe next time) due to being in the middle of a couple builds (and having a piece shortage).