SkaForHire

Book II - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Hello Luckpat, welcome in Historica! I'm totally in agreement with everything Milo said. The exciting thing is to try new things you've never done before. But you should choose your guild depending on your personal taste and preferences, not only because of your collection. At some point you'll have to expand your collection anyway. So read the first posts of the guild pages and look at some builds and then decide what is the right guild for you. If you're into middle asian/arabian architecture then kaliphlin of course is the best choice. But if it's more european middle ages, you probably better fit into Avalonia ( or take Kaliphlin and settle down at the border to Avalonia). Northern european/viking/ anglo saxon or anything that needs a cold snowy landscape would be Mitgardia. If you want all of this, something totally different or simply pure fantasy come to Nocturnus. We have no restrictions).

First of all: welcome!

Second: i think it's fine you stick with interiors, and try to develop into outeriors at your own pace!

Third: you should chose Avalonia! We're the nicest guild ever, and if you want to use that tan, just pick some land at the southern frontier!

I'll start by saying don't worry about asking nooby questions--there's tons of information here and understanding it at first can be overwhelming, or at least it was for me a first. Interior builds is absolutely fine. You can build what you want as long as fits within the developed parameters (Fantasy medieval, as opposed to steam punk or firearms). There may be some contests where you have to build outside, but you're never obligated to participate in them. While we would definitely love you in Avalonia, if you think kaliphlin's style suits you more, then go with what you're most comfortable with. One of the main focuses here is to improve your ability to build, so you're always encouraged to step outside your comfort zone to build something you've never done before. By trying new things and receiving feedback, building abilities are improved. If you feel most comfortable building interiors in kaliphlin, go ahead and start there. Eventually you can work your way to building landscapes (small at first if so desired), or you can work your way into building different styles from the other guilds. Or if you only ever want to build interior kaliphlin builds, then you only build those. It's all acceptable, we're really just happy to have more people involved!

Hello Luckpat, welcome in Historica! I'm totally in agreement with everything Milo said. The exciting thing is to try new things you've never done before. But you should choose your guild depending on your personal taste and preferences, not only because of your collection. At some point you'll have to expand your collection anyway. So read the first posts of the guild pages and look at some builds and then decide what is the right guild for you. If you're into middle asian/arabian architecture then kaliphlin of course is the best choice. But if it's more european middle ages, you probably better fit into Avalonia ( or take Kaliphlin and settle down at the border to Avalonia). Northern european/viking/ anglo saxon or anything that needs a cold snowy landscape would be Mitgardia. If you want all of this, something totally different or simply pure fantasy come to Nocturnus. We have no restrictions).

Thanks all for the warm welcomes... Now looking at it, I suppose I would be better off in Avalonia since my style is more based around it. When I get back later on today, I will be sure to read up more on Avalonia and GOH as a whole in the forums. Thanks again!

No matter what your style is, your best choice is Kaliphlin.

Period.

:grin::laugh:

Seriously though, we do have everything here in Kaliphlin.

And if interiors are your thing that is totally cool - while it's great to try something outside of your comfort zone every now and then, it's fine if you stick with interiors all the way! Pretty much any size MOC is fine too - don't feel pressured to build something really big, or in a specific style, or anything - just have fun! :sweet:

No matter what your style is, your best choice is Kaliphlin.

Don't listen to the Avalonians!!! Kaliphlin forever!!! :laugh:

You don't need to limit your build to one guild whichever one you join, a large part of the people here build in all 4 guilds, even if its only for a challenge so don't feel limited. And anyway most styles of building fit in Kaliphlin, take your desert island for example.

We have the most diverse geography and the most diverse population. You can build anything you want, the entire Wither Woods has a heavy European style to it.

To be cried from every hamlet in Kaliphlin and beyond:

His Great Lord and Pharaoh, King of all Kaliphlin, Master of Historica, and Protector of the Ancient Power, the Desert King Ark'Mora Raa has declared formally:

All loyal captains come to Sultan's Gate, show your support for your liege. By March 31st, the Desert King expects his troops to marshal for an assault against the Black Spire. The Desert King wishes to return Nocturnus to its rightful rulers. Those lords in open rebellion against his high authority will be dealt with swiftly, but those in rebellion that wish to come to their senses and join the great crusade, will receive his forgiveness. The Desert King remembers his supporters, but has his enemy's names etched into his eternal mind.

So it has been determined, on this 40th day of the second year of the Desert King's New Kingdom.

Contest:

Those in favor, show your colors for the Desert King -- Send your warriors, or depict your warriors (it does not have to be your sigfig) to Sultan's Gate to join the Nocturnus Crusade.

Those opposed -- stop those DK-loving jerks! Set an ambush for the warrior-pilgrims heading to Sultan's Gate.

Limitations:

32x32 with limited overhang

Must depict a band of soldiers, either on their way to Sultan's Gate / showing up in Sultan's Gate or being ambushed on the way there. If you ambush in the desert, and have no structures the size limitation is lifted (the endless desert!)

This contest should not be just figbarf, entries will be judged on minifig posing, background, foreground, setup, design and story.

Prizes:

The winner of each category will be allowed to style themselves as:

"Great Pilgrim of the Desert King"

"Great Confuser of the Desert King"

A small band of the Inani will come, for our leaders have yet to commit to a return to the upper world. The Black Spire Shall Fall!

Edited by Umbra-Manis

But you don't expect us Nocties really coming all the way down to Sultan's gate just to march all the way back then?

Anyway my heart is singing by these news.

But you don't expect us Nocties really coming all the way down to Sultan's gate just to march all the way back then?

Anyway my heart is singing by these news.

His greatness is contemplating a different challenge for his allies already committed to the fight.

Great contest Ska, I believe most of my DK style mini figures are in one of my two 52 litre boxes of sorting :sick:. I'm terrible at sorting, the last two MOCs I built were from parts I was meant to be sorting... :wacko:

Edited by BrickCurve

Great contest Ska, I believe most of my DK style minifies are in one of my two 52 litre boxes of sorting :sick:. I'm terrible at sorting, the last two MOCs I built were from parts I was meant to be sorting... :wacko:

I know this feeling! Everything I have built for BoBS has been recycled off of Kaliphlin Civil War MOCs! My house is too small for my collection, so it is just really hard to get a good sort going. Maybe some day...

To be cried from every hamlet in Kaliphlin and beyond:

His Great Lord and Pharaoh, King of all Kaliphlin, Master of Historica, and Protector of the Ancient Power, the Desert King Ark'Mora Raa has declared formally:

All loyal captains come to Sultan's Gate, show your support for your liege. By March 31st, the Desert King expects his troops to marshal for an assault against the Black Spire. The Desert King wishes to return Nocturnus to its rightful rulers. Those lords in open rebellion against his high authority will be dealt with swiftly, but those in rebellion that wish to come to their senses and join the great crusade, will receive his forgiveness. The Desert King remembers his supporters, but has his enemy's names etched into his eternal mind.

So it has been determined, on this 40th day of the second year of the Desert King's New Kingdom.

Contest:

Those in favor, show your colors for the Desert King -- Send your warriors, or depict your warriors (it does not have to be your sigfig) to Sultan's Gate to join the Nocturnus Crusade.

Those opposed -- stop those DK-loving jerks! Set an ambush for the warrior-pilgrims heading to Sultan's Gate.

Limitations:

32x32 with limited overhang

Must depict a band of soldiers, either on their way to Sultan's Gate / showing up in Sultan's Gate or being ambushed on the way there. If you ambush in the desert, and have no structures the size limitation is lifted (the endless desert!)

This contest should not be just figbarf, entries will be judged on minifig posing, background, foreground, setup, design and story.

Prizes:

The winner of each category will be allowed to style themselves as:

"Great Pilgrim of the Desert King"

"Great Confuser of the Desert King"

Good to have the help..though all you oppossed can stay home ;)

Edited by Blufiji

His greatness is contemplating a different challenge for his allies already committed to the fight.

Otherwise it would be fun if we were allowed to make a new character/band of soldiers for this challenge. That way I could finally use my Kaliphlin Figs again. "Kaliphlin and Beyond" means that Mitgardians and Avalonians also have to come to Sultan's Gate?

Edited by Jacob Nion

I present you

Titus Paludius Zeno, or Zeno for short

24930359336_beb5bf624b_n.jpg

He is a son of one of Ulandus' wealthiest and oldest families, the Paludii.

Nobody really remembers how it came to pass, but his family established large estates in the countryside near Xersia, the capital of Ulandus, long before the disappearance of Ulandus 2000 years ago and lives off of the yields very comfortably till the present day.

Because money doesn't matter to them and they have no interest in all things political or military they fully indulge in the finer arts and education of the senses.

They collect all sorts of works of art and try to discover and preserve ancient knowledge and traditions.

Zeno is no exception. He is especially interested in history and just recently began a journey through Ulandus to discover and describe the remains of generations of Ulandians long lost and forgotten in time.

While some of the old temples and public buildings may still be in use, most of this once great architecture has fallen to ruin and waits hidden beneath scrub for curious discoverers like Zeno to reveal it for an educated community.

Travelling to very remote locations he may even meet some of the beeings of myth and legend, who are said to have been walking freely between the humans before the belief in them slowly dwindled away with time.

I also have some general questions regarding building in GoH.

Because my collection of Lego only consists of sets from the early 90s, mainly town, pirates and castle, I'm really restricted in minifigure choice. Especially ones that could be used as civilians in a GoH-context. Could you recommend some newer sets which have useful minifigures? I also know, that Lego never has done any greek or roman themed sets apart from a few collectible minifigures and therefor it's even harder to find something for that. I found brickforge.com who offers some nice custom greek accessories, but i always only find warrior equipment. Do you know any sites for custom civilians?

Hello,

Prince of Persia, being my preferred theme ever, I am seriously considering joining Kaliphlin. The fact that Kaliphlin includes some of my favourite builders, only adds to my envy to join.

I have however a few questions:

- Do you allow fleshies?

- Which city would require external fortifications?

- I saw a contest which was held in the past about the Sultan Gate… Silly question… but where does the Sultan live…?

- Is GoH suitable for a builder that makes max 5 creations a year or are we required to make frequent builds?

Cheers!

Welcome kinggregus! I can answer a few of your questions:

Fleshies are allowed, there are already a few people who use them here.

There's no requirement to make lots of builds, you can build as much or as little as you want :classic:

Because my collection of Lego only consists of sets from the early 90s, mainly town, pirates and castle, I'm really restricted in minifigure choice. Especially ones that could be used as civilians in a GoH-context. Could you recommend some newer sets which have useful minifigures? I also know, that Lego never has done any greek or roman themed sets apart from a few collectible minifigures and therefor it's even harder to find something for that. I found brickforge.com who offers some nice custom greek accessories, but i always only find warrior equipment. Do you know any sites for custom civilians?

The best suggestion I have would be to bricklink different minifigs. There are several good civilian types in the castle theme (among other themes).

Welcome guys!

@Tokru: did you really call him Titus? I'm so honored :wink:

@Ska: the challenge looks great! But I have a question: is or allowed for people who have not participated in the KCW to participate in this?

Welcome guys!

@Tokru: did you really call him Titus? I'm so honored :wink:

Well, firstly there are other, more famous people out there who might have influenced my choice :wink:

And secondly he is not called Titus. He goes by the name of Zeno. The naming conventions his family uses stem from ancient Ulandus.

People have 3 names. The first doesn't really have a special meaning. The second one represents the family and the third name is practically the name people are known by. Therefore he likes to be called Zeno. His full name is only used in a formal, official context.

Thinking about that, these conventions bear a striking resemblence to roman ones. What a coincidence.

Well, firstly there are other, more famous people out there who might have influenced my choice :wink:

And secondly he is not called Titus. He goes by the name of Zeno. The naming conventions his family uses stem from ancient Ulandus.

People have 3 names. The first doesn't really have a special meaning. The second one represents the family and the third name is practically the name people are known by. Therefore he likes to be called Zeno. His full name is only used in a formal, official context.

Thinking about that, these conventions bear a striking resemblence to roman ones. What a coincidence.

Indeed, such a coincidence!

And I knew there are famous Titusses (plural of Titus, appart from Titi?) enough... And some of them happen to be romans... Just coincidence! :laugh:

But at the moment, let us just pretend you named him after me! :wink:

And I knew there are famous Titusses (plural of Titus, appart from Titi?) enough... And some of them happen to be romans...

lol, I'd go with titi.

lol, I'd go with titi.

That's the official Latin Plural of my name. Really Nice: my name van be conjugated!

Titus Titi

Titum Titos

Titi Titorum

Tito Titis

Tito Titis

Tite

:wink::laugh:

Edited by TitusV

That's the official Latin Plural of my name. Really Nice: my name van be conjugated!

Titus Titi

Titum Turks

Titi Titorum

Tito Titis

Tito Titis

Tite

:wink::laugh:

Yeah, I have my latinum. But I prefer bad puns over grammar lessons.