SkaForHire

Book II - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Some rich merchants might very well have their base of operations in Sultan's Gate. Such houses are most probably built in the relative safety inside the walls.

Being sick can give more building time :wink:

The trick is to be sick enough to be home from work/school but well enough to build. I failed in that balance the first week of January when the most constructive I was able to do was to watch a couple of seasons of Homeland and a couple of other shows...

...Being sick can give more building time :wink:

The trick is to be sick enough to be home from work/school but well enough to build. I failed in that balance the first week of January when the most constructive I was able to do was to watch a couple of seasons of Homeland and a couple of other shows...

It's tough though. "So you can build LEGOs but can't do dishes, huh? Or schoolwork or making lunch?" :tongue:

Ya. I have an ear infection so I have to stay in bed most of the time.

Once I have the idea I'm gonna' make a Sultans Gate build from The Battle of Alamut PoP set.

The mapmaker has to resurface and create a new edition (he has surfaced lately, and I believe he said that he is going to eventually work on a new map.) The map is actually about two years old, and does need a few updates. The best answer I have is, patience :)

Is there a way we could get all our sigfigs portraits displayed on the first post? Maybe we can have a unified effort to post our sigfigs on a certain day in this thread so that skaforhire can easily add them to the first post? I know at least one sigfig has been updated so it would be nice to review what everyone's sigfig currently looks like.

Is there a way we could get all our sigfigs portraits displayed on the first post? Maybe we can have a unified effort to post our sigfigs on a certain day in this thread so that skaforhire can easily add them to the first post? I know at least one sigfig has been updated so it would be nice to review what everyone's sigfig currently looks like.

That's a great idea, I've been meaning to do updated pictures of mine and haven't gotten around to it.

I'm working on the details of the Sultan's Gate build right now, once I am done I'll send it off to the great Admins for approval and then get it posted for everyone! I'm planning on it going live no later than February 1st, so start getting your bricks sorted :classic:

...I'm working on the details of the Sultan's Gate build right now, once I am done I'll send it off to the great Admins for approval and then get it posted for everyone! I'm planning on it going live no later than February 1st, so start getting your bricks sorted :classic:

:excited:

Speaking of sorting bricks, what is the best way atm to get tan? MEA ?

This all depends on where you are at. In the US, there are plenty of resale stores on Bricklink that offer bulk rates. If you want sets that are good for parts, I just purchased a Friends jewelry box set that comes with a number of tan 2x2 modified inverted tiles for ~$15 (lots of good pastel colored bricks too). Also under sales and deals on the Lego website there is a small Chima set for ~$3.50 that has some useful tan, dark tan, green, dark green, lime green and dark brown parts, as well as some interesting stickers. I have four of these sets and will be using the Speedorz zip pieces in an upcoming build in a (hopefully) new way.

Speaking of sorting bricks, what is the best way atm to get tan? MEA ?

A couple of the Hobbit sets (barrel escape and mirkwood elves) have a good selection of tan in them. Also, the Lone ranger sets had a few that had tan pieces and they are being clearance right now in a lot of places. My main route is always checking Bricklink when I need a bunch all at once, this time of year it seems like a lot of stores are running clearance sales if you look around.

I don't know where you are located at, but if you have a PAB wall nearby, I have had good luck finding 1X2 and 1X3 tan bricks on those quite regularly too.

A couple of the Hobbit sets (barrel escape and mirkwood elves) have a good selection of tan in them. Also, the Lone ranger sets had a few that had tan pieces and they are being clearance right now in a lot of places...

I can't seem to hit those places. I was at TRU today and they still had prices jacked up ten-fifteen dollars!

I can't seem to hit those places. I was at TRU today and they still had prices jacked up ten-fifteen dollars!

I know!!! ITs ridiculous. I found two of the new Hobbit Polybags for 6 bucks each. I bought them because I knew I would never find them again...

We can do that. Let's say on Feb 1st, everyone post their updated fig. It will make that starting post long though.

you should use the second post then in which it says "save for future improvement"

Ah, it definitely would be nice to be in the US for Lego prices, but I live in Denmark, and the european conversion of (1€ = 1$) hurts us europeans most of the time. At least the Friends pencil holder / jewelry box can be found for under 15$, but stuff like barrel escape is at over 80$ :S :S I planned to get 1 Mirkwood army anyway tho

The Simpsons house would also be a great source of tan, but I doubt I'll part that one out if I get it :D

The Copenhagen PaB wall (the only in Scandinavia...) has had 2xN pieces in tan every time I've been there.

Good idea on the sigifg posting, not only for reference but also as a sign of solidarity and organization within the guild. We have always been so self sufficient, I wonder at times if from outsiders to GoH we don't appear as organized as other guilds and if that perception might hurt recruiting for Kaliphlin.

The Copenhagen PaB wall (the only in Scandinavia...) has had 2xN pieces in tan every time I've been there.

Sadly still a 3h drive :(

Here's the WIP of a Mitgardian magical chilling device (made by their dwarves) for transporting perishable goods. It still needs work, but I wanted to show my idea for the use of those Speedorz zip pieces.

12177444416_0ba6b21460_o.jpg

Mitgardian WIP 1 by gedren_y, on Flickr

When completed I'll be adding it to my Anti-Climax: Nestlands Market scene along with the Mitgardian shipping magnate Andrius Hierre.

8405957233_0bafd0e625_o.jpg

Andrius Hierre by gedren_y, on Flickr

Here's the WIP of a Mitgardian magical chilling device [...]

Is that one of those Christmas tree ornament things?