Tacker

Technic 2014 Discussion and Speculation

That motor configuration is what one can see at the preliminary box image, as far as such low quality images allow to "see".

Although I recall you that it is not the first time that we find out that preliminary box artwork, is not 100% accurate.

I think we can assume there will be four motors and probably we could also assume there will be three different types of motors in the box. The exact configuration I think we could not be so sure until final artwork images without watermarks come up.

So, have you seen a larger picture of the box? The only one I've seen is a very blurry picture of one of the box corners.

Although I recall you that it is not the first time that we find out that preliminary box artwork, is not 100% accurate.

True, but I doubt that TLG is going to change the motor configuration between now and release :wink: Would require a massive amount of changes. Still, yes, I'm also curious to see the SV control the steering.

True, but I doubt that TLG is going to change the motor configuration between now and release :wink:

Remember 8258. On the first pics, it had a M motor.

True, but a change from M to XL is less radical (at least, you'd need different gear reduction and a bit more space) than replacing/inserting a servo motor.

Oh well, the Nürnberg toy fair is here in less than 2 weeks.

Edited by jantjeuh

Nice to see Xl back :)

Agreed, I was thinking TLG was going to phase it out and rely on L motors/pairs of L motors from now on. XL motors just add a bit more badassness to models :laugh:

I think this set is going to be worth buying just for the motors + new parts alone :cry_happy:

Edited by jantjeuh

There are two possibilities with the servo motor:

1) The steering angle could be not very much. I reckon it would be geared down 3:1 anyway, to give 30 degrees either side of the centre position, but it might be less than that. The less it is, the easier the servo motor would cope with the load.

2) The servo motor could control a gearbox. Even 3 positions of +90, 0 and -90 degrees = 3 gears per motor = 9 functions, or 6 if the two L-motors are ganged electrically, each driving a pair of wheels. It could be steering and drive in one gear, bucket lift and tip in another gear.

Mark

On the rebrickable page of 2014 technic they say there is a bulldozer, I hope it is not a small set & I would like power functions in there too.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/NXT45/Technic/2014-Technic/lego_2014.tiff

Happy building!

NXT45

I've been thinking about 42030,and how it would turn with a servo. I just don't see such an arrangement working. What if, instead, we had a configuration of 1 L motor, for steering, 1 XL motor, for drive, and 2 servo motors, each with an autovalve for control of the arm pneumatically? That would be cool, yes? As for getting air in the system, it could have an air tank, and a compressor run off the drivetrain. I'll be mocking this up and seeing how playable it is.

But regardless, this seems a bit unlikely.

Do you have a picture of this set?

Happy building!

NXT45

I don't believe a pneumatic RC model is usable without a compressor, and, in that case, there would have to be an extra motor on board. So, unfortunately, I don't think it'll be pneumatic.

I don't believe a pneumatic RC model is usable without a compressor, and, in that case, there would have to be an extra motor on board. So, unfortunately, I don't think it'll be pneumatic.

Indeed, I tried building a mock up with a compressor run off of the drivetrain, and it did not work. Still, I can't see a big articulated model like this using a servo for steering. I just don't see that working.

I could believe servo for switching driving rings, then

- XL for travel / bucket lift

- L for steer / bucket curl

It would be a bit clunky to play with, not as good as a 4 motor / 4 channel set up. It's not consistent with the rumours either :classic:

Hmm, XL for travel would be quite gutless imo. Look at the size of the tyres. And steering a vehicle this size needs torque too....

So alternately, servo switching driving rings with:

- 2x L for travel / bucket lift

- XL for steer / bucket curl

This would leave the bucket functions maybe over-powered, but would give good lifting capability = good playability :wink: It would also sadly need a complicated arrangement for connecting the 2 L motors to the 2 actuators lifting the arm. :devil:

Loaders need good breakout force. 8043 (A and B) shows that even M motors can make a playable model, but 8043 would be faster and smoother with bigger motors. :tongue:

Unrelated thought - universal joints survive ok in the rock crawler (inside the torque tube part). Should be ok in a loader.

Also if it is 4 wheel drive, wonder if it will have a center-diff? Otherwise wheel wind up might be nasty (another argument in favour of 2 L motors for travel)

Edited by andythenorth

If there is a servo in the set, it would be for steering. I think a servo with 1:2 or 1:3 reduction would be enough to operate the articulated steering, but It would probably be a bit jerky. Honestly, I would prefer to see an M or L motor and LAs for the steering, but a servo motor sounds intriguing. It makes for a nice parts pack as well.

A gearbox isn't needed when you only have 4 functions. That would make things unnecessarily complicated and ruin playability. A servo would not be ideal for a gearbox anyways--if there were a servo moving the driving rings, the person operating the remote control would have to constantly keep the driving ring engaged and simultaneously operate whatever function. This uses unnecessary battery juice, and is more complicated to play with. An M or L motor geared through a clutch gear would be more ideal for a simple two position gearbox.

2 L motors for the bucket, XL for drive, and servo (if correct) for steering makes much more sense to me. But, I've been wrong in the past, so who knows….

Just my $.02.

I had visions of the steering being articulated and needing LA to control it...

It does leave a big ? about how the servo can be used.. I agree it would not be practical as a switch between functions as it needs to be held on while running.

:sweet:

To tilt it with a lever? I dont think that tey will use this oldschool method. A servo for the steering makes more sense. Even when two mini LA will do it better.

Despite my guessing above, realistically it's probably servo for steer :blush: It's the easiest way to get return-to-center, which would otherwise affect the playability of the model. What's unclear is how it will operate smoothly, without snap. But I guess we'll know when we know :wink:

Edited by andythenorth