Tacker

Technic 2014 Discussion and Speculation

Does any one think Lego got a "Scandinavian" discount for the licence?

Wow I spoke about dumpers but I really wanted another front loader, my dream has come true a good day for the heavy machinery lovers :blush: .

Was there not a dumper talked about for the other set in the 2-half?

Im pretty sceptic, that amount of PF will work great based on on all PF remote sets...

Does anybody have info about that customized pick up? :classic:

No four functions - four motors.

But a front loader has four functions, drive, bucket, arms and steering, obviously we can use only 3 motors and a gearbox but there is no room in a front loader for it. My Komatsu had 4 motors and there wasn´t room for normal battery box the Volvo have to be huge.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Maybe they'll include the smaller battery box? This is going to be a must buy with yellow hubs, RC, and its huge size :excited: . I can't wait for the first pictures. Maybe next year Lego can make a huge dump truck to go along with this

Wow it's defenetivly a must have set!

Along with Ultimate 8043 and designer Hans dumper my son will be very happy I think! (Well me too ;) )

Maybe they'll include the smaller battery box? This is going to be a must buy with yellow hubs, RC, and its huge size :excited: . I can't wait for the first pictures. Maybe next year Lego can make a huge dump truck to go along with this

It would be cool if TLG did "group together" the flagship sets every couple of years. This year and next, then 1 or 2 yrs off, then two "grouped" models.....

Mike

Edited by Kronos

Would the servo really be for steering? Seems kinda heavy to me. Is it possible that one L motor is for steering, one for two other functions and servo for selecting between them?

Servo is under-powered for articulated steering at the size being talked about. Would also impose nasty shock loads - jerky steering at best.

+1 to servo switching between bucket lift and bucket roll.

I also think a single XL would be underpowered for drive if this is as big as being predicted, unless the model is quite light. :classic: Could be geared down I guess - reduction hubs?

Edited by andythenorth

Why have an expensive servo and a cheaper motor powering two functions, one at a time, when you can have two cheaper motors that can operate both functions at the same time? It'll probably be servo for steering via a linkage or rack and pinion giving a mechanical advantage but with a large turning circle.

Good question. On the other hand, how would a servo be capable of somewhat smoothly steering such a huge vehicle, and that only fully left, right or middle position? That also doesn't make much sense to me, in terms of playability...

Good question. On the other hand, how would a servo be capable of somewhat smoothly steering such a huge vehicle, and that only fully left, right or middle position? That also doesn't make much sense to me, in terms of playability...

Servo rotates 90 degrees each side. 90 degrees is too much for wheeled front loader with its steereing system. So, gearing down servo with even 30 degrees angle + 3x torque boost each side is enough for this model

Edited by rm8

That may be, but wouldn't the steering not still be jerky, and limited to just the extreme positions?

That may be, but wouldn't the steering not still be jerky, and limited to just the extreme positions?

That could be solved with a new type of controller, where the lever would be analogue instead of just sending min,0,max to the receiver. But what about the speed of the servo? If I switch from min to max on the controller, the servo turns 180 degrees really fast, do you think that it could streer such a big wehicle so fast? Maybe a modified servo which could do much more than 90 degrees? Then it could drive a LA. Not sure if it is technically doable.

Size of the 42009/9398/8110 Flagship boxes is 57.5 x 48 x 9 cm

Size of the 10224 Town Hall set (as Conchas mentioned) is 48 x 58 x 12.5 cm

Difference is in thickness. I think new bucket is about more than 9 cm height

Well the third party controller I use couples well with the Lego servo. min-0-max speed is not as fast, but it's smooth, and more importantly responsive. You can steer as little as possible, but jerk the wheel if necessary. And of course there are dials to adjust the resting position :classic: I wish they would abandon IR and make an all-new compact radio system. The range and response time is pretty poor even in a moderately lit room.

Steering with mini L.A. would be good but I don´t think so, I think will be like the 8265 mechanism with the servo.

Volvo seats are grey,I have operated a Volvo mini digger in the past.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan