SheepEater

Things non-AFOLs say WAY too often

- "I've stepped bare feet on LEGOs once. It hurts so much!"

*yawn*. Really. Can't you think of anything else more original to say?

- "Today's Lego sets have way too many special pieces that are only good to build one thing"

Those people saying that clearly don't build and have never seen any MOCs other than sculptures made out of 2x4 and 2x2 bricks and have no clue how those insanely detailed MOCs (like this week's front page MOC, Steam Castle Falls) use TONS of those supposedly "one-use-only" special pieces. About the only parts that I would agree fit this are the large airplane parts from Lego City.

- "Legos are way too expensive."

You get what you pay for. You see something else cheaper and just as good, by all means buy it.

- "Where are the basic bricks sets that I used to play with when I was a kid? I swear these days it's only licensed Lego and wacky themes."

There's still generic Lego, stores just don't stock on them as much as Star Wars /Super Heroes etc. because they simply don't sell as much!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but oh well. Rant over.

Edited by SheepEater

"Legos"

Heck, even some AFOLs say it. :grin:

Yes! :iamded_lol:

Here's one I've heard a lot:

"You have enough Legos!"

"Aren't you a bit old for Legos?"

:tongue:

-Sci

I used to play with Legos but I gave them all away, I just got too old for it...

"You are buying LEGO..!" in the same way as someone saying "you are spreading [disease]...", with a real negative connotation :hmpf_bad::classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

:grin: Something I can relate to is : Legos .... that drives me crazy. :grin:

That someone says that he ( or she ) gave them away .... :sick: ... but heck !! Someone gave them to me once !! :grin: It was mostly beaten up , but I still got them !!

My wife doesn't say to me that I have enough, she just tempers my enthousiasm a bit :sceptic: . Lucky me :wink:

The only other thing is when people see I build with LEGO, they say : Owh, you play with LEGO ( S ) ?? I just correct them and show them some models of mine, or just give them my Brickshelf....

Grtz Saint

As an adult who collects Legos, I'm just happy to get something other than your basic rolling of the eyes. Seriously, man, no disrespect intended, but we collect what most people see as toys.

Seriously, man, no disrespect intended, but we collect what most people see as toys.

Well... they ARE toys.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with adults playing with toys :classic:

Totally agree. We are on the same page. I have a couple of other collecting interests (old tube radios, for one). Not saying you are guilty of this, but too many collectors are not happy unless others validate their collecting habits, tastes. I collect what I want to collect and am never surprised, offended, disgusted, tired (feel free to insert whatever emotion you choose) by what people say or think. I listen to baseball games on a 1938 Zenith radio and when I get bored, I work on a MOC for my Lego modular town. With that said, when I meet someone with a hobby that I'm not interested in or don't understand, I try to ask rather shallow questions (not too difficult for someone like me) and make general complimentary comments. Collections of hundreds of shot glasses. Collections of old dental equipment. Collections of old tools. Collections of Star Wars stuff. I don't get it. I guess there's a collecting gene in all of us, but it puzzles me where it lands sometimes. Collecting match books? Collecting pot holders? Seriously. Whatever. As long as people don't try to take me down the 'it's a good investment' road when showing me their collection of Hallmark forced collectibles. Well, enough of this. I have to figure out how to compensate for maybe not having enough sand green bricks for my modular creation (without spending any more money).

FOLs say some of those things way too much too :0)

Another one I get a lot, but is very sweet, is "man when I was a kid I had the BIGGEST Lego city ever!"

No you didn't.

Totally agree. We are on the same page. I have a couple of other collecting interests (old tube radios, for one). Not saying you are guilty of this, but too many collectors are not happy unless others validate their collecting habits,

tastes. I collect what I want to collect and am

never surprised, offended, disgusted, tired (feel

free to insert whatever emotion you choose) by

what people say or think. I listen to baseball

games on a 1938 Zenith radio and when I get

bored, I work on a MOC for my Lego modular

town. With that said, when I meet someone

with a hobby that I'm not interested in or don't

understand, I try to ask rather shallow questions

(not too difficult for someone like me) and make general complimentary comments.

Collections of hundreds of shot glasses.

Collections of old dental equipment. Collections

of old tools. Collections of Star Wars stuff. I

don't get it. I guess there's a collecting gene in

all of us, but it puzzles me where it lands

sometimes. Collecting match books? Collecting

pot holders? Seriously. Whatever. As long as

people don't try to take me down the 'it's a good investment' road when showing me their

collection of Hallmark forced collectibles. Well,

enough of this. I have to figure out how to

compensate for maybe not having enough sand

green bricks for my modular creation (without

spending any more money).

I completly agree with you different people like to collect different things, so no one can ever call it childish to collect Lego.

In my opinion, Lego is way too creatively challenging to be considered "childish", especially Technic (to my taste). Yes, it's mostly aimed for kids, but what does it matter?

In my opinion, Lego is way too creatively challenging to be considered "childish", especially Technic (to my taste). Yes, it's mostly aimed for kids, but what does it matter?

I agree, and things like 8-12 years, 9-14 years mean nothing.

"Oh, I wish I knew you were into Legos. I just donated a ton of them..."

Grrrrrrrr........

"Man, does that sound weird! You must be kidding...you collect LEGOs at your age? "

NOPE. I AM PROUD TO BE WEIRD! (THE WEIRDER THE BETTER IN OUR BOOKS!)

And the older I get, the more I collect. TAKE THAT!!!

"So you build something, then take pictures of it and post them on the web. Then you take it to pieces and build something else. Where's the fun in that?"

If you have to ask then I can't explain it

"You have too much free time" is something I hear at just about every LEGO convention I display at.

Pretty much a thread winner right here.

Alternate wording: "You have way too much time on your hands".

The same people saying that usually spend hours watching mindless TV or football or facebook.

Pretty much a thread winner right here.

Alternate wording: "You have way too much time on your hands".

The same people saying that usually spend hours watching mindless TV or football or facebook.

lol..yeah. I just tell them that I don't play video games, and I watch very little TV.

"You have way too much time on your hands".

Yeah, I personally dislike football and most sports, and I don't watch too much TV. And why should Lego building be more of a mindless waste than spending hours in front of the TV?

Building with Lego isn't much more of a waste than watching football or hockey matches. It's the same thing, a hobby.

Building with Lego isn't much more of a waste than watching football or hockey matches. It's the same thing, a hobby.

I think what you meant to say was "Building with Lego is less of a waste than watching football or hockey matches. It's a different thing; a hobby that is creative"

;0)