Sign in to follow this  
jluck

How do I confess to my wife I'm an AFOL?

I took the easy route. I told my wife before we even married that I like LEGO. I tried to get her to build with me, but she is not into it. She does think it's "childish" still I guess :D

Tell her it's a very important part of your life. It's been with you forever. She'll understand. :wink:

Jluckhaupt --- well,it's been over a week. How did you tell her? How did it go?

Andy D

Jluckhaupt --- well,it's been over a week. How did you tell her? How did it go?

I think the silence is ominous. It's time to inform the authorities...

I think the silence is ominous. It's time to inform the authorities...

Haha well I'm still alive! The advice has been hilarious and actually quite encouraging, I'm trying to set up a brickfilm to illustrate my telling her but...I GOT HER TO HELP ME FEEL BAGS OF CMF!!! That's a huge step in the right direction:)

Haha well I'm still alive! The advice has been hilarious and actually quite encouraging, I'm trying to set up a brickfilm to illustrate my telling her but...I GOT HER TO HELP ME FEEL BAGS OF CMF!!! That's a huge step in the right direction:)

This was one of my starting points as well. Now she is so much better than me (100% record).

I would take the strategy of rise-and-relief. The technique being you get her filled up with anxiety over the expectation of revealing something terrible, but she is so relieved when she hears what it actually is, it seems benign and shes happy that is what it is.

So you start to explain that you have an urge inside, something you have to do and you're not sure she will understand. You want to be honest though, because no matter what happens after this,you will still love her and she deserves the truth always. (by now she should be looking at you a bit confused, maybe getting weepy even). Take her hand, and tell her you love her, tell her "but I am a man, a man with desires, and if I don't pursue this, I will regret it all my life"... "Honey, I like Lego, and am going to buy Lego to build and play with. It's going to be my new hobby. I hope you can support and allow me to be the AFOL I want to be"

She'll laugh at you, and be happy that was your revelation, and think how silly men are and of course you can build with Lego.

She may turn out to like it just as much as you do. I've heard that women really like the Creator houses, maybe get her one and see what happens?

Joe

She may turn out to like it just as much as you do. I've heard that women really like the Creator houses, maybe get her one and see what happens?

Joe

This is very true. Last November we were shopping for my daughter at the LEGO store, my wife saw the Winter Village line and she thought it would be fun to build together every holiday as our own little family tradition. (That was the start of my LEGO obsession) Now we have the Palace Cinema, new Family House and Vampyre Castle. All selected by her. She is fairly picky about what LEGO sets she likes and she definitely thinks you're all crazy, but she's developing her own LEGO niche for sure. :)

So if you have kids it's easy. Simply help her understand that LEGO is the absolute best toy for imagination, development, motor skills, etc. and that they will get the most out of the toy if the parents are involved in some way, either through building or just being supportive.

If no kids, then create a tradition with a set that you build together. Pick the right set, nothing too childish, and make it "your thing.". Then, if it's good enough, pick a spot to display it. She'll be proud to show off what you built together.

Last resort, you could always show her how much Mr. Gold sells for...

Hahaha! This is a very entertaining thread to read as a woman....we seem to prefer Creator houses, Friends and Town sets. And Duplo as well. If she picks her own set, she will buy in to the hobby.

I left a few small Architecture sets lying around last weekend while I was away on at family events, and hubby surprised me by building two of them. He never builds LEGO!

So give them plenty of choices, and they may just join you. Good luck!

No offense but I just don't get how you can be married to someone yet they don't know about your hobbies.

No offense but I just don't get how you can be married to someone yet they don't know about your hobbies.

Haha well it's not quite like that. I was in my dark ages when we got married. Recently, I started working on a brickflick for a project with some friends. It wasn't meant to be anything major, just a fun little film. I started looking for pieces that weren't in our collection and stumbled on BL. This reminded me of all the fun LEGO had always been and got me interested in it again. My wife knew about the film, but she didn't know at the time that I wanted to do carry on with the hobby.

Spend a few thousand on Lego sets them show her the receipts.

Now this is quality advice! :laugh:

Haha well it's not quite like that. I was in my dark ages when we got married. Recently, I started working on a brickflick for a project with some friends. It wasn't meant to be anything major, just a fun little film. I started looking for pieces that weren't in our collection and stumbled on BL. This reminded me of all the fun LEGO had always been and got me interested in it again. My wife knew about the film, but she didn't know at the time that I wanted to do carry on with the hobby.

Now this is quality advice! :laugh:

Ah the Dark Ages we've all been there. (Worst Decision of my life)

Ah the Dark Ages we've all been there. (Worst Decision of my life)

I don't feel it daily, but overall I'm more happy now that I'm back into Lego than I was during my dark ages :laugh:

You know she's a keeper if she offer to build the Sydney Opera House with you. If she laughs at you, divorce immediately.

One, get a box

Two, put your brick in the box

Three, make her open the box

And that's the way you do it

Steve

One, get a box

Steve

:laugh:

When I met my wife, I had a 2,5m long chopper bicycle. Homemade, firetruck red with chrome brake lines. When we where married, I made a plywood stretched cruiser from my old mountainbike. After a while I sold the plywood bicycle and got me a recumbent bicycle. Meanwile I got into Steampunk, photography and a few other hobby's. I don't think my wife would mind if I was an AFOL, other than spending to much money.

One, get a box

Steve

Bravo, 'nuff said! Pure genius.

I'm having a good giggle at all the suggestions in here. I'm a AFOL and a wife :wink: I had to drag my husband into it, but it's still "honey that's more your thing, whatever you think is best". The Series Minifigs sucked me in, Friends intrigued me and then I was like OMG there are so many cool things!!!!! :grin: Your wife will either understand and join you, or let it be your thing.

"Dear, I have something to confess to you. I'm... a furry."

"You're what?"

"Nah just kidding. I'm actually an adult fan of LEGO."

"Oh, well that's not so bad then."

Problem solved.

"Dear, I have something to confess to you. I'm... a furry."

"You're what?"

"Nah just kidding. I'm actually an adult fan of LEGO."

"Oh, well that's not so bad then."

Problem solved.

/SpraysCoffeeAllOverTheKeyboard/

Thanks, that was priceless!

OMG, this thread is so full of win!

I got the Architecture Space Needle when we moved to the Seattle area.

Over the next year, I bought and built the entire Architecture line. I explained it simply as a part of my desire to be a structural engineer.

Then came R2-D2 and the Space Shuttle...

And just a week ago, Tower Bridge.

I think my wife already knows, without my telling her, and it's better/cheaper than my other hobbies: roller coasters and saltwater aquariums!