The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

What? Didn't you all see the press release? Seriously, look at the last what, 15-20 pages of this thread, we have discussed this ad nauseum, no, OTW does not know the date of retirement, his was a facetious way answering. No one knows when the next modular is retiring, but the bottom line is if you want one that is 2 or 3 years old, you better think about picking it up, Town Hall has gone on a tear recently for being available/unavailable, and now leans more towards the un part of that.

I would say the only guarantee to be in stock is PR and PC at this point, and good luck finding the others, if you have the money and want it, then get it. We need to end all the speculation over and over on this thread cause we just keep going in circles. If you are new to the thread, please go back a few pages and read, if you have been posting for a while, well you know the drill. We just need to update on availability and what's coming next and what we would like to see.

I have bought 4 modulairs this year, so now I have all that are currently for sale including those that are about to retire (or not).

I thought this would bring some piece of mind and that I could keep my wallet closed until the DA arrives. Unfortunately, some bricks are already arriving through bricklink and BnP that will result in a Cafe Corner eventually. So: Piece of mind: yes, wallet closed: no

Well, if you gonna ask: when will retire, this will not help at all....Lego has no clear points them self. They always update the status of their stock. So you might even end up with no more sets...these sets you might see in lrgo.com due to return back from other store....

While u can Grab the sets, do it and save the tense on you....:)

I have bought 4 modulairs this year, so now I have all that are currently for sale including those that are about to retire (or not).

I thought this would bring some piece of mind and that I could keep my wallet closed until the DA arrives. Unfortunately, some bricks are already arriving through bricklink and BnP that will result in a Cafe Corner eventually. So: Piece of mind: yes, wallet closed: no

I have the FB, GE, PS, TH and PR as well as the HH, all bought this year, so my wallet definitely needs a break. Here's to hoping the PC stays available for a while, and the DA gets discounted. Recently bricklinked a couple of grand pianos for friends' birthday presents as well. No current plans of bricklinking CC or MS because they never quite captured my attention, but will definitely work on GG one day.

What? Didn't you all see the press release? Seriously, look at the last what, 15-20 pages of this thread, we have discussed this ad nauseum, no, OTW does not know the date of retirement, his was a facetious way answering. No one knows when the next modular is retiring, but the bottom line is if you want one that is 2 or 3 years old, you better think about picking it up, Town Hall has gone on a tear recently for being available/unavailable, and now leans more towards the un part of that.

I would say the only guarantee to be in stock is PR and PC at this point, and good luck finding the others, if you have the money and want it, then get it. We need to end all the speculation over and over on this thread cause we just keep going in circles. If you are new to the thread, please go back a few pages and read, if you have been posting for a while, well you know the drill. We just need to update on availability and what's coming next and what we would like to see.

Thanks for recognizing my intent! Besides, he asked what we thought. Now, after a good nights sleep at a resort over looking the beach, I think March 5, 2015. That's what I 'think'. :-)

Well I don't mean to be a jerk, and hopefully wasn't too much of one, but I do not understand why people keep asking the same questions over and over, I get that with my kids as is, so wondering why, when we have a forum that provides information, that people do not take advantage of it. When I was new to the site, I went into each thread and read a bunch before I started posting. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but folks, don't be so lazy, take the time to use the site and read the info that is provided.

March 5 eh? Hmmm...just 10 more days seems better for a retirement, at least it did for the Romans.

OTW: if you're going to start a pool for retirement dates... Pick a date and stick with it! Or is it like an office baseball pool where you can pick several squares? I don't understand January 11 but March 15 makes sense, and for the USA how about April 1 or April 15? Those are my dates. Put me in the retirement pool. Oh, wait I already am in the retirement pool, can't buy me anymore ;);)

I bought a second FB several years ago because I thought it was ready to go... Boy was I ever wrong. I waited until this October to get my second PS, thought I was going to miss it, but got it. Got a second (third?) GE last year or year before, got TH two at a time during release year, same for PC and PR. From now on I will buy my sets during the first year of release, no more looking for non-existent bargains, no more chances!

Andy D

When do you think the pet shop will retire, because it is currently out of stock?

I've read the last few pages of this thread, and have $0.02 to get off my chest on the issue:

1. In/out of stock means nothing - it could be a poor inventory calculation by Lego (sales exceeded expectations). We just finished October's double-points and a set like PS is a perfect example of one folks may have bought on suspicious it may be retired before next October. If something is out of stock it could just as easily mean Lego didn't produce enough to meet the unexpectedly high/sudden demand, or it could mean it's legitimately approachig retirement. It could be a sign of a set simply being a very good seller. Lego pretty routinely puts a "retiring soon" notice on sets, presumably when they've produced the last run and are looking to clear their inventory, which suggests to me it is more likely a demand > supply problem when it's "sold out". I'd also point out Lego's consistently questionable marketing maneuvers (sets selling out very quickly upon releases) means they are indeed fallible in this realm, and prone to under-production.

2. All the sales figures (best selling sets) may as well just include an asterik that says "this is based on a horribly flawed but pseudo-science basis". Amount of owners on brickset? Poll results on a website? Complete junk - that's a sample of a brutally narrow demographic - guys like us who are so hardcore Lego that we frequent websites like this, brickset, etc. In statistics speak - it's all based on a bias sample population, a flaw only professional organizations able to mass public polling can avoid. In any enterprise even a franction of Lego's size, the polling of the online "hardcore fan" communities is completely trumped by the general public. We could all eat up some particular set, and it doesn't move the needle an inch compared to the general public deciding "I wanna get a really big lego set for my kid's birthday - hmmm... This Pet Shop looks neat, it's got a pretty blue box". Unless it's a "good seller / bad seller" statement coming directly from someone who works in Lego's financials - it's 99% guesswork masquerading as an educated guess.

3. The sales figures don't matter, even if we did know them with strong confidence. Profitability matters. It's safe to assume not all sets have the precise same profit margin for Lego. If their profit margin is 20% higher on set X (cheaper production costs), but sales volume 10% lower than set Y (fewer sales) - set X is still the winner from Lego's perspective.

4. The most statistically reliable approach is *very likely* simply based on assuming traditional "lifespans" for a set. If most modular sets are sold for 3-yrs (or whatever), its probably a better reference point. Yes, there's outliers of a set being retired seemingly early, or hanging around a year longer, but trying to figure out if a set will be an exception to the norm runs headlong into all the problems referenced above.

Ultimately, a product is maintained or discontinued based on a complex criteria - from profitability to production schedules to longterm marketing strategies (i.e., continuing to produce a poor performer because it is building a new niche of customers). Nobody here in the several pages I've read has any firsthand knowledge of superficial figures that drive a decision to discontinue production, let alone the complex decision making process that numbers are factored into. So if you want to know other people's complete guess at a set neing retired - be my guest. But don't mistake it for anything other than complete guesswork.

Well, Andy D, its like this. I was making the six hour drive home this morning to Atlanta from Ponte Vedra, Florida. The adaptive cruise control almost lets the car drive itself of a long trip. So, I asked my wife about having a contest to pick the PS retirement date. She said it probably wouldn't fly with the powers that be. So, not wanting to start a problem, I'll refrain from any attempts at starting a contest. But, my final guess is February 29, 2016 for PS retirement. I would like to know what others think the exact date will be of the PS retirement. Automatic disqualification if anyone offers an explanation of why they chose a date since, after all, most of the explanations and reasoning are speculative BS. Actually, all of them appear to be. No offense. The one coming closest to the actual retirement date, as determined by the date it shows retired on the US Lego shop at home website, has the honor or being right and feeling all warm and fuzzy about it. So, its not a contest. Just the usual unfounded speculation. But this time with an actual date.

OTW: Great! Just one question, I have heard of the MS, PS, GE, FB CC, TH, PC and PR. But what is the BS? Is that a new set?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I'm pretty sure he meant BS in the term of Penn and Teller's TV series, and not an abbreviation of a set like PR = Parisian Restaurant. :blush:

OTW: Great! Just one question, I have heard of the MS, PS, GE, FB CC, TH, PC and PR. But what is the BS? Is that a new set?

Andy D

Actually, its a very old set. And not near as rare or valuable as CC, MS or GG.

Andy D

there seems to be a lot of BS stocked in this topic....

I was only repeating what 2 Lego customer reps told me about Town Hall on two different calls on two different days. "Out of stock and not coming back." Having no prior experience with LEGO customer service reps I don't know if they have any extra information or if they simply say that when an item is out of stock and they aren't taking more orders for it at this time. I personally would be surprised to see it retired without a "Retiring Soon" label on the website but on the other hand I was not going to risk missing it by waiting to buy it once I found a place that had it. To me it seems like bad business to retire a set right before the holidays when you figure you will get sales by nature of the season. Best to retire soon after and just sell off the rest of the stock as the year goes on, but that is me.

there seems to be a lot of BS stocked in this topic....

Actually, its a very old set. And not near as rare or valuable as CC, MS or GG.

Yep, lots of talk about the BS (lots of BS). The main thing is to not step in it. Much like many of the predictions and "inside information" in this thread. Believe it when TLG announces it!

Sorry of the side-track. Now let's get back to the main issue in this topic... The spreading of rumors about the modular series.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Well, thanks a lot. The secret is out now. I hope you're happy!

No, i'm not happy.. now i'm even more curious about when the DA will be released and what the releasedate of the BS will be... besides that, my wallet will schrink a bit.. will buy two of both ofcourse... !