vahkimetru

Which is better, Star TREK or Star WARS?

Which is better, Star TREK or Star WARS?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, Star TREK or Star WARS?

• Star Trek
    • Star Wars
    • Stargate
    • All of above
    • None of the above

SW all the way baby !! (G who would have thought of that :-D )

Never liked Star Trek (originals, crappy ones after, or movies, even if the Entreprise is an awsome looking ship !!), nor Stargate !! I loved the movie but never liked the series for some reason !!

If SW was not a choice I would have definitly voted for another serie that is not in the poll: FARSCAPE !! I just love that Sci-Fi show !! Humour, great looking ships, nice and sexy aliens, great story, sad ending !! A true must !!

However SW is in !! Off course I do talk about the OT and not the PT (enough has beeing said on those, so unlike some belgian mod I shall not rant :-P ) !! A true Revolution for its time !! I just love the humour, acting, storyline, aliens, ships and what have you !! Just Perfect !!

*yoda*

I voted none of the above.

It used to be SW all the way while still being a ST fan of ST Next Gen., Voyager, and DS9.

Then the new trilogy came out :-X

now i like them both the same. X-D

although i've never watched stargate the tv series, just the original movie.

Still like ST and SW better though.

P

I've watched both recently, and I'd say Star Trek is more entertaining and more realistic so I voted Star Trek. I've never watched Stargate, but it seems a lot like Voyager (which I've watched and isn't so great) when I search for it on wikipedia.org.

Not to much of a suprise that i voted for star wars. It is a obsession after all! :-D But i must say that i really like star trek and after having seen all episodes of TNG, DS9 and voyager, DS9 is by far the best show!

I voted none of the above as you can't really compare them, and I wouldn't call any my favourite.

1. Star Wars is not in the same genre. It is fantasy with some technology, and much of that is just plain impossible. Lightsabers for example, how could you have a solid beam of light with a fixed length? (Don't get me wrong though; I do like Star Wars.)

2. Star Trek can be superb Sci-Fi, but most of the time it forgets it is supposed to be Sci-Fi and ends up just being a show based in the future. Ultimatly I find much of Star Trek unwatchable however as it has almost zero continuity. The episode "The Inner Light" of Next Gen for example. Picard spend 40 years living another life in a day of real time, yet he is back to work next episode. Yeah right. He would have forgotten almost everything in that time!

3. I have tried to give Star Gate a go as a friend of mine is a huge fan, but it just seems silly to me.

You missed Farscape, Babylon 5 (and it's spin offs), Battlestar, Andromeda, etc...

I voted none of the above as you can't really compare them, and I wouldn't call any my favourite.

1. Star Wars is not in the same genre. It is fantasy with some technology, and much of that is just plain impossible. Lightsabers for example, how could you have a solid beam of light with a fixed length? (Don't get me wrong though; I do like Star Wars.)

Well it's possible with a rod of plasma and powerful magnetic fields to shape it, however we currently don't have the technology to make generators that powerful that small :-P

Definitely Star Trek. Especially Deep Space Nine. I was a big Captain Picard mark back in the day, but I have to admit that Avery Brooks could have went toe-to-toe with Patrick Stewart and William Shatner in a contest about who was the most convincing/authoritative leader. And while the earlier series had some cool characters (Spock, Data, etc.), it was usually half brilliant and half preachy/lame/cheesy. DS9--at least in it's last 5 seasons--was some of the most consistent, solid Sci-Fi I've seen (only surpassed by the old Twilight Zone, IMO).

And while the earlier series had some cool characters (Spock, Data, etc.), it was usually half brilliant and half preachy/lame/cheesy.

Yeah, but half of the appeal of the Original series is that it was a bit cheesy sometimes. I mean, come on, the red shirts always die on planetary expeditions, there's always a transporter malfunction, they always seemed to be orbiting the same planet, there were always some rocks that bounced, and then there's the falling about on the bridge when the Enterprise is under attack...

If it didn't have all this, would it be half as watchable?

Edited by Brainbox

I like All of them equally.

A little fact, Did you know that the base where SG-1 is set is real? And the film in the actual militay base? Thats juct cool if you ask me. Now the personell there can say theres a stargate in level 23 (True, thats where they film as far as I know) *wub*

I'm a bit surprised there's no Battlestar Galactica, but anywho...

It was a tough call between Star Wars and Stargate. I've never been a fan of Star Trek (Bar a couple of the movies) and Star Wars is simply awesome, but then again I do love a good episode of Stargate. *y*

I voted for Star Wars in the end. :-)

I have never seen Stargate or star trek or any of those. Loyal big fan of star wars.I like star wars because all of the detail and there is more than the movies and the tech and design. I have many reference books on star wars although some are incorrect.

I voted SW because I saw it first. :-P Plus, there is more fighting. Then again, Star Trek isn't really a 'travel to planets and wipe them out' mission. I guess I'm just a fan of battle! The right kind of battle, mind you! X-D

I have many reference books on star wars although some are incorrect.

I've got all the important ones! The Episode 1, 2, 3 and OT Visual Dictionaries; the bumper Complete Locations book, and cross-section books for Ep 2, 3 and OT (I could never find the Ep 1 one).

And a starchart poster, slightly out-of-date now we've had Ep 3, and a b&w locations book I picked up on sale. Oh, and a few issues of the UK factfile collection... but only a few.

Star Wars of course ... I think that was common knowledge accepted for long :-D

But yeah, I like Star Trek and Stargate too, just not with the same geekyness i like Star Wars. *yoda*

Pocas

If SW was not a choice I would have definitly voted for another serie that is not in the poll: FARSCAPE !! I just love that Sci-Fi show !! Humour, great looking ships, nice and sexy aliens, great story, sad ending !! A true must !!

Yaaaaay! another Farscape fan!! they're becoming hard to come by, lately...

Ben Browder is one of the best actors I can think of... Too bad his performance in Stargate doesn't come anywhere close to what he did in Farscape. It might have raised the level of that serie a little. Though by the time he came on board, I think it already had gone on for waaaaay too long (10 years! come on!). I mean ok, the first seasons were ok, but I definitely lost interest with Anubis (I don't know why, he kind of reminded me of someone... Dark robe with deep hood, who wants to dominate the galaxy by force and uses highly powerful space weapons capable of destroying whole planets... weapons that a small starfighter flying in low can destroy by dropping a bomb in a shaft... Now, where on earth might I have seen that already??? :-P )

Another Sci-Fi Show that I love probably as much as Farscape is Firefly. Unfortunately, it had an even shorter life than Farscape, seeing that it was cancelled after the very first season...

Star Wars of course ... I think that was common knowledge accepted for long :-D

AHEM! |-/

Beam me up, Scotty - there is no intelligent life here. :-D

I voted for Star Wars because I was a fan not long ago. I watched Star Gate a little, but as a great man once said:

...it just seems silly to me.

X-D And I am of the same opinion ;-)

As for Star Trek... I like Star Wars better X-D

What about "Star Search?" Since all of the poll options began with "Star," I had to ask...

Steve, who is a Trek fan all the way and thinks the only thing that Star Wars has on Star Trek is Lego...

Another Sci-Fi Show that I love probably as much as Farscape is Firefly. Unfortunately, it had an even shorter life than Farscape, seeing that it was cancelled after the very first season...

Not even that. It was cancelled mid-season, just like Crusade. :'-(

I'm not a huge fan of any of them.

Here's how I'd rank them:

1)Stargate

2)Star Wars

3)Star Trek

The Ancient Egypt element in Stargate is enough for it to claim the top position.

Man, and here I was expecting fireballs flying. :tongue:

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about Star Trek, its 40+-year history, or its 10+ movies, but I can say that Star Wars has at least thing on it: space vessels. Sure, the ships in Star Wars are completely independent of the laws of physics, but on the other hand, they're heavily weathered and have rough edges. On the other hand, every Enterprise I've seen in Trek looks chrome-plated and polished as if it was some rich guy's car. :thumbdown:

I mean, compare:

Enterprise_D.jpg

Okay, I honestly don't know which Enterprise this is (B? C? J?) but that's beside the point. Look at the fluorescent lights, the thin curves, the exaggerated saucer and ridiculously thin pylons. This looks as if it were kept behind glass all day rather than a true spacefaring vessel.

Now look at this:

01_jpg.jpg

Look at the hard lines, the weathering, the exposed wiring, the panel lines. It may not obey any laws of physics we know of, but the model itself is real. It's tangible. When you look at the Falcon you get the feeling that it actually may have been halfway across the galaxy.

Not to mention that those huge engines mean business. Warp Nine? Please. The Falcon makes .5 past lightspeed. :tongue:

Besides, Wars is space opera, while Trek is straight sci-fi. What's more, Trek is largely dependent on the fact that nearly every episode is entirely self-contained so that Kirk and his buddies could go on a million trips across the universe and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Wars is a three-act saga with an air of drama to it, on a scale more epic than that of Trek. It has a definite beginning and, despite what they've been trying to do with Legacy and the New Jedi Order, a definite end.

So there you have my two cents.