Much of this build was inspired by Ecclesiastes' builds. There is a full interior in the gatehouse (even murder holes), the portcullis works as do the doors and there is a full interior. The cooper's house also has a full interior.

Story:

The southern gatehouse of Valholl is also a lighthouse, as most supplies are delived to Valholl via the river.

Sir Glorfindel was the first to greet Sir Edwyn as he arrived at Valholl's harbor.

"Welcome Sir Edwyn, I've heard much about you. I am Sir Glorfindel, officer of Valholl and I am to accompany you on your mission."

"Thank you Glorfindel, but my orders did not specify why I was to come to Valholl."

"Oh, well we can remedy that soon enough, Elon Chorian will give us the mission specifics at our meeting. Come, he is waiting at the citadel."

overview.JPG

left.JPG

back.JPG

right.JPG

Portcullis down:

g-portcullis.JPG

Doors closed:

doors.JPG

Warehouse:

shed.JPG

Cooper's:

coopers.JPG

More pictures here: http://brickbuilt.org/Valholl-Gate.php

I used a new backdrop for these pictures and I like it a lot.

All comments/criticism appreciated :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

wow soccerkid, this is really cool and I'm quite glad that we're having a revival of the walls project. I actually still have three wall sections and might as well enter some new modules!

wow soccerkid, this is really cool and I'm quite glad that we're having a revival of the walls project. I actually still have three wall sections and might as well enter some new modules!

Thanks kabel! It's a great project, looking forward to some new sections from you :classic:

Nice job! I really like the door and gate in general. Also, I like the paving - I imagine that takes a long time.

Great build, Vaholl is becoming quite a formidable city.

nice one SK!

the cobblestone is ace in this.

your style is really cool, I could tell it was by you by the flickr thumbnail. keep it up, you rock!

Nice job! I really like the door and gate in general. Also, I like the paving - I imagine that takes a long time.

Great build, Vaholl is becoming quite a formidable city.

Thank you, the cobblestone doesn't actually take too long to build, I did black plates underneath so that the cobblestone matched the height of the gatehouse floor, but if you did tiles underneath it would be really easy to assemble :classic:

Fantastic, the paving is awesome. And I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love seeing wood and stonework together in MOCs.

Thanks, having both wood and stonework definitely adds a nice contrast :classic:

nice one SK!

the cobblestone is ace in this.

your style is really cool, I could tell it was by you by the flickr thumbnail. keep it up, you rock!

Thanks Legonardo! The cobblestone technique was Sir Edywn's idea, after he suggested it I realized it would work very well.

Great to hear that you recognized it as mine so easily :sweet:

Awesome job, will start on the next installment tonight! BTW, what is this new backdrop you mentioned?

Awesome job, will start on the next installment tonight! BTW, what is this new backdrop you mentioned?

Thanks! And the new backdrop is poster board, I got several sheets for only 1$ :classic:

This certainly deserve more comments. This is one of the most unique gate I have ever seen.

Great work soccerkid!!

Great MOC! My favourite is the cooper's building though. I like civilian buildings :classic:

I love it when someone from Mitgardia or Avalonia is building a castle without 50 shades of grey!! That gatehouse looks perfect like it is now!! Especially when you compare the size to the detailing level!

Also awesome job on creating the atmosphere around it! So many details I only can cheer for!!

This certainly deserve more comments. This is one of the most unique gate I have ever seen.

Great work soccerkid!!

Thanks songwm!

Great MOC! My favourite is the cooper's building though. I like civilian buildings :classic:

Thanks, doing the cooper's house was a lot of fun :classic:

I love it when someone from Mitgardia or Avalonia is building a castle without 50 shades of grey!! That gatehouse looks perfect like it is now!! Especially when you compare the size to the detailing level!

Also awesome job on creating the atmosphere around it! So many details I only can cheer for!!

Thanks DM :sweet:

Really nice work :thumbup: :thumbup: Reminds me of the Lighthouse of Alexandria :wink:

Nice work! I like how you used several different roof techniques.

Thanks, I tried to use suitable roofs for whatever the particular building was :classic:

Really nice work :thumbup: :thumbup: Reminds me of the Lighthouse of Alexandria :wink:

Thanks, I based it off of Ecc's micro build, there is definitely a resemblance to that as well though :classic:

Nice job SK, the warehouse especially looks good and the 'lighthouse' fire looks great! The backdrop also is much better than what you were using before (a sheet?), great work!

Nice job SK, the warehouse especially looks good and the 'lighthouse' fire looks great! The backdrop also is much better than what you were using before (a sheet?), great work!

Thanks Kai, I thought the fire turned out quite well. Before I was using a fleece blanket, now I'm using poster board :classic:

Whoah! Amazing work SK! Very Valholl...-esk? Lots of great details! Amaing work! Remember if you need help, I'm ready! :wink:

Whoah! Amazing work SK! Very Valholl...-esk? Lots of great details! Amaing work! Remember if you need help, I'm ready! :wink:

Thanks Infernum, and indeed I haven't forgotten :wink:

Fantastic build with a lot of details to admire, especially the stonework!

But as a subarctic dweller myself I'm a bit surprised that there is still snow on the steeper roofs but not on the less sloping one? But must of course be because of the shadow of the tower for most of the sunlight hours :classic:

I also like that you have used a nice white backdrop, but if you want to use the pictures unedited maybe you should try to lessen the difference between the "floor" and the "wall" and maybe improve the joint between them on the right side where there is a small gap.

Another small photo tip is to use something behind the door when shooting the closeup (some cardboard or just some big black plates) to get rid of the light in the gaps in the door design. I had a ton of problems with that in my Ch VI interior where I had a spotligt directed at the window and the light wanted to get through everywhere else as well even though the walls were 2 studs thick...

Fantastic build with a lot of details to admire, especially the stonework!

But as a subarctic dweller myself I'm a bit surprised that there is still snow on the steeper roofs but not on the less sloping one? But must of course be because of the shadow of the tower for most of the sunlight hours :classic:

I also like that you have used a nice white backdrop, but if you want to use the pictures unedited maybe you should try to lessen the difference between the "floor" and the "wall" and maybe improve the joint between them on the right side where there is a small gap.

Another small photo tip is to use something behind the door when shooting the closeup (some cardboard or just some big black plates) to get rid of the light in the gaps in the door design. I had a ton of problems with that in my Ch VI interior where I had a spotligt directed at the window and the light wanted to get through everywhere else as well even though the walls were 2 studs thick...

Thanks for the tips :thumbup: I thought of putting snow on the gatehouse roof, but when I first built it I was just experimenting with the design and after I finished it I forgot to add the snow :blush:

I'll definitely try and make sure there are no gaps in my background next time I take pics, I didn't notice the crack on the right when taking the pictures. This is a fairly large creation so it took two sheets of poster board, and even then barely fit. With smaller builds I'll be able to make the seam much less noticeable :classic:

Sweet! :wub: I always wanted to make the lighthouse, but now we already got! And it will be almost impossible to make a better one. Great job and the resemblance with the micro version is indeed grand! :thumbup:

Sweet! :wub: I always wanted to make the lighthouse, but now we already got! And it will be almost impossible to make a better one. Great job and the resemblance with the micro version is indeed grand! :thumbup:

Thanks Ecc :sweet: I tried to make it fairly similar to the micro so I'm glad you can see a resemblance. I think this MOC fits Valholl better than any of my others :classic: