Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Urgent!!!!

I've just discovered a MISB 4561 Railway Express by making some phonecalls to some not-so-advertised-and-hyped toy shops. The owner told me that the price is around 150 euros. What do you think? (I'm a classic town addict just for the record.)

And one more thing: Since my only train experience was with the 12V sets, is there anything else needed in order for the train to work properly?

...aaand one last thing. (sorry for the "things"...:blush:) I'm not a Bricklink user.

Waiting for a response.

EDIT:

Turns out that the price is 210 euros after some clarification.

Edited by Zorbas

Urgent!!!!

I've just discovered a MISB 4561 Railway Express by making some phonecalls to some not-so-advertised-and-hyped toy shops. The owner told me that the price is around 150 euros. What do you think? (I'm a classic town addict just for the record.)

And one more thing: Since my only train experience was with the 12V sets, is there anything else needed in order for the train to work properly?

...aaand one last thing. (sorry for the "things"...:blush:) I'm not a Bricklink user.

Waiting for a response.

EDIT:

Turns out that the price is 210 euros after some clarification.

That price is okay, not that great though. I just checked on BL, and I found a MISB for $170 USD.

That price is okay, not that great though. I just checked on BL, and I found a MISB for $170 USD.

I called the shop again today trying to do a little bargain with the owner. I told him that it's an old set and he should provide a discount for that (!). :devil:

You know, trying to help him to get rid of something sitting in his shop for ages. :wink:

Don't be surprised, the 210 euros is not due to the set being old, it's just how the prices are here in Greece.

He finally told me that he will leave it for 170 euros. I'm still thinking it. It seems like a nice set and most important, classic! :wub:

I think I'll try to reduce the price a bit more...

I called the shop again today trying to do a little bargain with the owner. I told him that it's an old set and he should provide a discount for that (!). :devil:

You know, trying to help him to get rid of something sitting in his shop for ages. :wink:

Don't be surprised, the 210 euros is not due to the set being old, it's just how the prices are here in Greece.

He finally told me that he will leave it for 170 euros. I'm still thinking it. It seems like a nice set and most important, classic! :wub:

I think I'll try to reduce the price a bit more...

You should try to bargain a bit more, but 170 euros sounds good too :thumbup:

Is it the version with a 9v Regulator?

Version 1

Version 2

170 Euro= $248

I have this set and I really liked it, however I would not pay $250 for it

Here on BrickLink.com you can get it MISB for as low as $165 + shipping (from store that ships to your country) , which would end up still being cheaper than $250

That is from a USA perspective however :tongue:

This is a good buy as it is in your hands and you don't have to worry about making accounts, sending money, dealing with exchange rates, waiting for shipping, etc.

:classic:

Version 1

Version 2

170 Euro= $248

Here on BrickLink.com you can get it MISB for as low as $165 + shipping (from store that ships to your country) , which would end up still being cheaper than $250

That is from a USA perspective however :tongue:

This is a good buy as it is in your hands and you don't have to worry about making accounts, sending money, dealing with exchange rates, waiting for shipping, etc.

He says that prices are stupidly high in Greece.

I know this is a what should I buy topic but I don't think my question needs a topic of it's own. I have a Chrome Vader and a Stormtrooper, both MISB. I'm debating whether to open them or not. My chances of getting another Vader is very slim. I really don't want to buy another Stormie either. Any help? I just had all of my OT figures displayed and I though they'd look nice with the group and they are some of my nicest and rarest figures. Any help? :sceptic:

EDIT: I pressed italics instead of bold. :tongue:

Edited by JCC1004

He says that prices are stupidly high in Greece.
So? How does that matter? (See below quote)
I have a Chrome Vader and a Stormtrooper, both MISB. I'm debating whether to open them or not. My chances of getting another Vader is very slim. I really don't want to buy another Stormie either. Any help? I just had all of my OT figures displayed and I though they'd look nice with the group and they are some of my nicest and rarest figures.
Unless you have a MOC or two that looks like crap without them, and you are just dying to use them, then I would suggest keeping them MISB.

I know this is a what should I buy topic but I don't think my question needs a topic of it's own. I have a Chrome Vader and a Stormtrooper, both MISB. I'm debating whether to open them or not. My chances of getting another Vader is very slim. I really don't want to buy another Stormie either. Any help? I just had all of my OT figures displayed and I though they'd look nice with the group and they are some of my nicest and rarest figures. Any help? :sceptic:

Open them, unless you have a collection of MISB sets.

EDIT: I pressed italics instead of bold. :tongue:

Unless you have a MOC or two that looks like crap without them, and you are just dying to use them, then I would suggest keeping them MISB.

Open them, unless you have a collection of MISB sets.

Or, you could compromise and build the Vader in the polybag.

I guess it doesn't matter with the stormtrooper. You don't have to open it until you want to. And you can always get another one if you regret opening it.

RGS or ARC 170 + Tri-droid?

The RGS is sold out everywhere right now but I have reason to believe that it might get restocked after the holidays. So do you think I should get it as soon as it becomes available again or still wait for a sale until it really gets discontinued? I don't wanna miss out on this set, but I don't wanna pay more than $100 unless I have to either. And I really want the awesome new ARC!

Just so you know, I don't have the old versions of those sets.

The RGS is sold out everywhere right now but I have reason to believe that it might get restocked after the holidays. So do you think I should get it as soon as it becomes available again or still wait for a sale until it really gets discontinued? I don't wanna miss out on this set, but I don't wanna pay more than $100 unless I have to either. And I really want the awesome new ARC!

I would get the RGS first, since the 2010 sets just came out one or two days ago. You'll have one or two years to get the ARC-170 and Tri-Fighter (not droid :tongue:). :wink:

You should probably at least wait until after Christmas because LEGO Stores are going to have a post-Christmas sale and there might be a chance that the RGS may be one of the sets on sale.

4167498406_5c3a5fbea9.jpg

Good luck!

Here's an angle to look at it differently then, RGS is CW and ARC+Tri-droid I beleive them to be ROTS.

So it all depends on what you collect, movie based and/or tv series based sets.

Version 1

Version 2

Yes, I looked it up myself in the beggining.

The employee I talked with, said that the number is 4561, so I'm guessing that it's the version WITH the regulator.

You should see me at that moment. She said that they had an old set, a train set if she was remembering correctly and she told me to wait to check for the set number. I was literally sweating from curiosity and anticipation on the phone for the next seconds and I had the Brickset page ready, to type the numbers and see which set actually was!

That experience was as close as it can get to a christmas sock! :grin:

The prices are lower in Bricklink. I saw that and it is exactly what you're saying. All the process involved from one hand, make a call and have it delivered in 2 days giving the money to the courier on the other. :wink:

Thanks Macoco for your point of view and the personal opinion on the set itself! It's a very good thing to know what the set owners think. :thumbup:

Tomorrow is the final day. I think I can reduce the price to €150 by bargaining. Not many toy shop owners here in Greece are aware of the prices regarding old sets. That's my advantage! :devil:

RGS for sure. It has much better figs and it might be discontinued too.

Yes, I looked it up myself in the beggining.

The employee I talked with, said that the number is 4561, so I'm guessing that it's the version WITH the regulator.

Oh that is good, it would be a pain to have to buy a regulator if you didn't already own one :classic:

You should see me at that moment. She said that they had an old set, a train set if she was remembering correctly and she told me to wait to check for the set number. I was literally sweating from curiosity and anticipation on the phone for the next seconds and I had the Brickset page ready, to type the numbers and see which set actually was!

That experience was as close as it can get to a christmas sock! :grin:

lol :grin:

The prices are lower in Bricklink. I saw that and it is exactly what you're saying. All the process involved from one hand, make a call and have it delivered in 2 days giving the money to the courier on the other. :wink:

Thanks Macoco for your point of view and the personal opinion on the set itself! It's a very good thing to know what the set owners think. :thumbup:

No Problem :classic: Is it easier to buy and save or buy and get? Personally I prefer in hand shopping as its more fun and exciting :thumbup:

Tomorrow is the final day. I think I can reduce the price to €150 by bargaining. Not many toy shop owners here in Greece are aware of the prices regarding old sets. That's my advantage! :devil:

Nice! Talk them down, tell them this is an old set and modern ones are much better :tongue::wink:

Not like being dishonest either as the store is charging a higher than normal price anyway.

Personally I prefer in hand shopping as its more fun and exciting :thumbup:

Ditto. :thumbup:

Nice! Talk them down, tell them this is an old set and modern ones are much better :tongue::wink:

My plans exactly from the very first call! :devil:

I'm not evil, I was just born that way! :grin::laugh::blush::devil:

I got $100 for my birthday to spend at the lego store but have no clue what to buy. I have some thoughts but need somone to back me up. :classic:

1. Brickbeards Bounty- I dont have any pirate ships but i do have all the other pirate sets excluding the imperial flagship.

or

2. City Passenger Train-i have tons oh railroad track just no actual train. I usualy build lots of trains to put on it but a motorized one would be nice. Is it worth the money?

thanks for the help. :thumbup:

1. Brickbeards Bounty

or

2. City Passenger Train

I'd definitely not buy any RC train now anymore with the PF trains coming up next year. Plus, I don't like the huge one-piece noses. If you'd like to get a train, I'd wait for the 2010 passenger tain (August, it's a long wait, but you also need to save up a bit :wink: ). Brickbeard's Bounty is a nice set, but the middle section is lacking and needs work in my opinion.

Thanks, i forgot next years trains were PF, as for BB i would be getting it just as a parts set and would definatly upgrade it. However im till not 100% sure what to get im going to go look up some sets now and try to find something. I will be back here later :tongue:

Well i think im going to go with Brickbeards Bounty, it seems like a good set and i know i will regret no getting one in the future. :thumbup:

Okay, I'm going shopping in a a short while, and there be a Lego store there. So should I:

1) Buy the SW AT-TE. leaving me with around £35

2) Save for the Imperial Flagship which I'll probably get some time around my birthday.

EDIT: I could also buy the medieval market village.

Edited by Calanon

Medieval Market Village. Some excellent stuff in there, and you get two Giant buildings for only $100! And plus, MMV is set to be discontinued soon, so I would get it ASAP!

Medieval Market Village. Some excellent stuff in there, and you get two Giant buildings for only $100! And plus, MMV is set to be discontinued soon, so I would get it ASAP!

Agreed. All those sets on your list are awesome, but MMV is the oldest.

Okay, I'm going shopping in a a short while, and there be a Lego store there. So should I:

1) Buy the SW AT-TE. leaving me with around £35

2) Save for the Imperial Flagship which I'll probably get some time around my birthday.

EDIT: I could also buy the medieval market village.

Definately the Imperial Flagship, i have the AT-TE and it is a wery repedative build that is mainly an exoskeleton. It is a good set just with some modifications.