I looked again at all your pictures on flickr. I really like the furniture like everybody here!

One thing that stuned me is all that space to read and that there is not much for tv/kitchen on only one bedroom in each house! I guess you like reading and in your vision, the houses are for a couple with no children!!! (in my own vision, houses must have less space to read but a full room for LEGO works ^^!!!).

To my point of view, the front wall of the gray house (the wall facing the street) is a bit sad with all that empty space between windows!

At the first glance, I reconized the ikea moder style furniture you made and I said "wow, really nice and well thought!"

The facade and global conception of the houses are really great!

I really like your houses and what you've done here!

And now, because of you^^, I'm planning to buy a haunted house set!!!!

I have long been thinking about a building a modular that wasn't the typical wall-against-wall concept. I think every city needs some villas and I think these are the first I have seen!

Great work! And I can only echo the rest in dropping their jaws over your interiors! :)

Brick on indeed!

Yes, I admit, I'm a book worm. :blush: I guess the houses are partly made autobiographycally, that is, including elements I'd like to see in my own place.

One thing that stuned me is all that space to read and that there is not much for tv/kitchen on only one bedroom in each house! I guess you like reading and in your vision, the houses are for a couple with no children!!! (in my own vision, houses must have less space to read but a full room for LEGO works ^^!!!).

And now, because of you^^, I'm planning to buy a haunted house set!!!!

Most of all, go ahead and by the set yourself. As many have done, it's a great one for MODing and MOCing. Not to mention it's a nice build by itself.

The stairs are a simple design, they're attached to two modified bricks with a stud on the side (alternatively, headlights would be ok).

If I can figure out how you did it, I may have to steal (err borrow) it sometime.

I wanted them wider first, but they'd take up too much space. So just don't tell the H&S inspection. And keep to the wall going up or down. :grin:

The stairs leading up from the livingroom do look a bit dangerous, I don't know if they'd pass a Health & Safety inspection, but building the steps sideways like that looks just as nice every time I see it - I'm going to need to try that next time I build a modular. And the stepped access to the window works perfectly.

All in all: I love it! Looking forward to seeing pictures of it in the diorama!

It'll be two more weeks before the exhibition, but I'll post a picture of the diorama including these houses afterwards.

Nice houses. Did you make the Coca-Cola can decals yourself?

Actually, you're the only one noticing them. I didn't do the decals, I got them from Flickr member eclipseGrafx - he's the one doing decals. Actually, it's a can of Bricka-Cola. Included in the garden of the grey house, there's a can of Brixi-Cola - if you can spot it.

Edited by Redhead1982

Everytime I see one of your modulars I am just amazed! Now I am wondering about your design/construction process. To that end, what is your process?

1. Imagination and free build?

2. Pen/pencil and paper?

3. LDD?

Or a combination of the above?

Or something else?

I tend to use more of number 1, and only 2 and 3 to try out some details in the very early stages, then only small sections.

How about finishing touches, are they from the beginning? Or added for completion?

How about you?

Thanks,

Andy D

Andy, thanks for asking. My process is mostly imagination and free build. I'm actually terrible at drawing, but I have imagination - the problem is I cannot put on paper what's in my head. On the other hand, I tried LDD couple of times, but I don't have enough skill and patience for that. Also, free build lets me experiment with the bricks I have more. Usually, I have a basic shape in my head, then I go from there. Most of the details on the outside are added during the build, whereas the interiors are mostly done afterwards - it depends on the ideas. So, some finishing touches are added during the build, and some at the end.

Redhead1982... Sounds like your process is pretty much like mine. I love the tactile feel of the art medium (LEGO bricks). But that's where the similarity ends. I need lots (lots and lots ) more practice and experience to approach your level of quality.

Thanks for sharing you very inspirtional pieces, I look forward to many, many more from you.

I

Andy D

Like the man said when asked how to get to Carnige Hall, the answer was.... "practice man, practice"

Edited by Andy D

Sand green was the first color I began collecting for myself, so I adore that house! And the details are just astounding as usual! It will take many return visits to your photos to take in the many creative details. Thanks so much for these two houses!

These are very lovely houses. I love what you did with the haunted house. Now it can be fully incorporated in any town. Great work there

I'm bumping the thread with an update from the Slovenian LUG's exhibition, held this weekend, where both villas were a part of the town display.

8648323773_c8353b1424_c.jpg

8649432392_08eb8c784c_c.jpg

There's a few more pictures from the event on my Flickr.

These two buildings are simply amazing. You created a wonderful 'haunted-house-before-it-became-haunted' MOC and the other villa complements it perfectly. They are so full of details, both outside and inside. As I had a chance to see the creation of the interior of the former one in progress, I can only praise what you put in the rest of the building (and the other one too). All the details are very realistic and cleverly put together. Maybe a slight drawback at the exhibition was that the layout forced them to be turned with their back sides towards the observers, but nevertheless it was still possible to fully admire them.

Very beautifully designed and executed! I am amazed by the interior because I really didn't think of such intense furnishing inside from the appearance of the buildings. Wonderful!

Here's a link to the report page from the 10th KockeFest exhibition. I don't have all the photos, so this might give you a better feel of the town. Mind you, this was a collaborative build of several members, and the emphasis was on the airport, so the town layout is smaller then previously. (The same page has links to previous exhibitions, aslo, so feel free to check those as well.)

Seeing it incorporated in your town it even looks more brilliant. Could we see more of your town please!!!!

These buildings looked fantastic by themselves, but even more so in the layout!

I agree ^ the interiors are great.

Lack of outside space always seems to be a problem in Lego Towns and Cities.

I guess it comes down to the display space that most people have for their Lego.

Redhead1982 you have done a good job within those limits..

Two words.

Pure bliss !

Im speachless. And sorry to bring uo an old topic but these builds are just fantastic.

Very very well done !!

Red, I have enjoyed looking at this build several times and can't select a favorite part because it is all so well designed. The exterior rocks with so many eye-catching spots. It makes me want to spend a day in the garden just watching things grow. The interior seems to fit with space for all kinds of relaxed activities. Cooking, reading, listening to music, and gazing out the windows while not worrying about anything outside. It seems to be a relaxing lifestyle not crammed with too many gadgets into too small of a space. The houses just invite you to come in and live in peace and quiet regardless of what is happening in the cruel, outside world. 

Nothing I would change as you have hit another home run as we say in the U.S. Homes are important, and you have provided a place for us AFOL's to live. Thanks for welcoming us to your hood!