General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I dunno, it seems like when sets get some publicity or they are featured on the front page of Ideas they start to gather steam. Minas Tirith reached 10,000 votes and Lothlorien is well on it's way with less 1,500 votes to go. I would be anxious to see how a really well polished $40-70 dollar Ideas set did if it got some decent publicity.

And there's the problem - who is going to give it publicity? LOTR has been done, so media is unlikely. It is owned by a large corporation, and they already have a license with lego, so WB are unlikely to promote it. The actors and crew don't seem to care (like Simon Pegg with the Shaun of the Dead project). LOTR fan sites don't seem to be that bothered. Lego staff might give it staff picks again, although now Minas Tirith failed and if Lothlorien gets there and fails then their behaviour may change.

Lothlorien should make it to review without much difficulty. At 1399 pieces, it is not way out of range, although everything north of 1000 pieces has been systematically shot down in the review process. It does not offer anything much new in the minifig selection, but it is a beautiful build. I would buy it without hesitation if it ever saw the light of day. I had a good laugh reading about the flick fire missiles and the catapult near the mirror. Still, a very worthy project.

Edited by AFOLguy1970

There maybe hope for Lego Lord of the Rings! I recently sent a message to lego stating

Me- "OK thanks! I have one more Question why the heck is Lego discontinuing Lord of The Rings? From saying no to ideas projects and no sets since 2013 all signs point to being discontinued. Why would Lego discontinue the greatest theme of all time? Did the sets not sell well"?

Response email from Lego customer service-

"Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I’m sorry but we aren’t making any new Lord of the Rings sets any more. It sounds like you're a pretty huge fan. LOTR is one of my favorites, too. Our Product Developers in Denmark invent new LEGO® toys every year. They spend their time trying to find new and fun toys that are better every time. The shelves in toy shops aren’t big enough to hold everything so sometimes we have to stop making a few of the older sets and even sometimes themes. The Tower of Orthanc is still available for purchase, but unfortunately the rest have been sold out now. You never know- sometimes we can surprise you and come out with a few come back sets later on down the road. Keep your eyes open".

I hope one of our many new LEGO toys will inspire you. To take a look through the hundreds of toys we offer, go to tmtbff://tmtoolbar/skin/Tooltip/webicon_green.pngshop.LEGO.com and see what catches your eye.

We appreciate your comments, so I'll be passing your interest in Lord of the Rings on to the design team. You never know, some of the old treasures might make a comeback!

cleardot.gif

There maybe hope for Lego Lord of the Rings! I recently sent a message to lego stating

Not to be rude, but how exactly does that show any hope? Lego basically just told you sorry and confirmed the line was over. And that's coming from a rep we know has no more insider info than your average Lego fan.

Not to be rude, but how exactly does that show any hope? Lego basically just told you sorry and confirmed the line was over. And that's coming from a rep we know has no more insider info than your average Lego fan.

Agreed, it rather shows the opposite of hope for this theme.

Such a shame, as has been said a great many times, but let's just hope that the gaps left behind by missing minifigures,

in cases of new moulds, shall swiftly be covered by one or more third party vendors... BrickWarriors, for example.

Well they said keep your eyes open (: I just have a feeling Lego is going to bring it back after Star wars episode 7 sets. Think about it if Lego launched Star Wars episode 7 and avengers 2 sets in the same year what kid will buy sw and avengers sets and lotr. That gives me reason to think they will bring it back after the sw hype dies a little. Who knows though lets just keep those eyes peeled.

Well they said keep your eyes open (: I just have a feeling Lego is going to bring it back after Star wars episode 7 sets. Think about it if Lego launched Star Wars episode 7 and avengers 2 sets in the same year what kid will buy sw and avengers sets and lotr. That gives me reason to think they will bring it back after the sw hype dies a little. Who knows though lets just keep those eyes peeled.

Lord of the ring sets will come back when Harry Potter sets come back........

Haven't seen HP back yet so ......

No there won't be anymore LOTR sets. The only reason they even exist is because they tought it was a good idea to sell some Hobbit/LOTR-sets while The Hobbit played in the cinemas.

And the message is vague on purpose. They have strict orders to never confirm or not confirm anything in their responses, since telling you that the line is definitively over could mean that you buy less LEGO.

Well they said keep your eyes open

Nope, that is standard corporate marketing. The confirmed the line is over in your message, and then followed it up with a shallow "you never know!?!?...." because that's the sort of thing that keeps a person with blind hope invested.

Me- "OK thanks! I have one more Question why the heck is Lego discontinuing Lord of The Rings? From saying no to ideas projects and no sets since 2013 all signs point to being discontinued. Why would Lego discontinue the greatest theme of all time? Did the sets not sell well"?

Response email from Lego customer service-

"Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I’m sorry but we aren’t making any new Lord of the Rings sets any more. It sounds like you're a pretty huge fan. LOTR is one of my favorites, too. Our Product Developers in Denmark invent new LEGO® toys every year. They spend their time trying to find new and fun toys that are better every time. The shelves in toy shops aren’t big enough to hold everything so sometimes we have to stop making a few of the older sets and even sometimes themes. The Tower of Orthanc is still available for purchase, but unfortunately the rest have been sold out now. You never know- sometimes we can surprise you and come out with a few come back sets later on down the road. Keep your eyes open".

I hope one of our many new LEGO toys will inspire you. To take a look through the hundreds of toys we offer, go to tmtbff://tmtoolbar/skin/Tooltip/webicon_green.pngshop.LEGO.com and see what catches your eye.

We appreciate your comments, so I'll be passing your interest in Lord of the Rings on to the design team. You never know, some of the old treasures might make a comeback!

cleardot.gif

Reminds me of a girl telling you: "...but we can still be friends" :D

Lord of the ring sets will come back when Harry Potter sets come back........

Haven't seen HP back yet so ......

Harry Potter should be back next year, right? That's when the new movie is out I think.

LoL I guess I am to optimistic.

Hopefully we get the Sauron minifigure from Lego dimensions

Harry Potter should be back next year, right? That's when the new movie is out I think.

Magical creatures movie in fall 2016.

Yes, there is a new movie in the Harry Potter Universe, but that doesn't guarantee we will get new sets. Plus, there won't be that many familiar characters in these movies, so it might be a tough sell to people to get invested in LEGO sets.

(don't get me wrong, I'd gladly welcome more HP sets/figures), but I haven't heard anything about it so far.

As far as LOTR, no words..

I burst out laughing when I read this. Yes, that is a very spot-on analysis. :sceptic:

Edited by Ql97

In this case it is more like the Answertron 6000 automated robot telling you "we can still be friends", which is a whole different level of kink.

I saw this, thought it looked interesting so I figured I would post it here.

11710225656_bcded8ccfa_b.jpg

Interesting how several sets we never got are depicted yet there is still no gondor representation.

Strange indeed! However the Fell Beast and the Oliphant could imply some Siege of Gondor theme, especially combined with the Pirate Ship...

Perhaps it is really fan-made.

Looks like all the sets re-created in LDD, with some of the fans own MOCs?

There is a lot of stuff we did not get as a set, too.

Look at the Warg in the foreground, left of Shelob's lair - seems like a fanmade thing to me.

Yup, that's one thing that stuck out to me as "fan made". The other is the Oliphant. It has over 13 Haradrim on the platform on the Oliphant's back. Lego would NEVER give us anywhere near that many of the same grunt soldier type in a single set. Maybe 2-4 max, but no where near 13. It would be loaded with named characters too like Legolas and Theoden or Eomer. The Balrog being red also doesn't seem likely, but I suppose is possible if Lego was just messing around with early pre-lim builds.

EDIT: There are also 2 Uruk-hai Army sets shown... not sure why.

Edited by Deathleech