General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I am a fr bigger fan of LOTR than TH, but I think that subtheme had better sets in general, hence my picks.

1. Helm's Deep

2. Orthanc

3. Unexpected Gathering

4. Mines of Moria

5. Lake-town

6. Uruk-Hai Army

7. Gandalf Arrives

8. Black Gate

9. Council of Elrond

10. Pirate Ship

The top three are brilliant, 4-6 are really good sets but do not catch the eye quite as much, 7 is a perfect £10-£12 set, but as it's so cheap I put it lower down. 8-9 are good, but need doubles to really get a good set up and 10 was a nice ship, but a small part of the films that didn't really warrant a £100 set.

I am Actually Planning to do a full scale Lego Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit Build Encompassing all of Middle Earth starting in Hobbiton

Edited by LegoBrick1
change in idea

Being that Lego is paying so much to retain the license, do we ever foresee reissuing of sets or new ones from the trilogy?

4 hours ago, Thebeeze111 said:

Being that Lego is paying so much to retain the license, do we ever foresee reissuing of sets or new ones from the trilogy?

I doubt if Lego is currently paying much of anything to retain or extend the license. The only place they are using it is in the Lego Dimensions property, of which Warner Brothers is a co-owner. So using Warner Brothers properties in the game was likely a gimme. 

Which brings up something that few people grasp. The end of the LotR licensed sets was likely not simply Lego's decision. They have had a long term ongoing relationship with Warner Brothers for over a decade. Much like they have with Disney and Lucasfilms (now more Disney). Harry Potter -> LotR -> The Hobbit -> Scooby Doo -> The Lego Batman movie, etc. with D.C. superheroes/Batman running concurrently. It is not simply LEGO, but where WB wishes to put their marketing and merchandising focus for maximum synergy, at a given time. For WB Middle Earth is a largely fallow license. As much as they might have liked it to hit Star Wars type Evergreen status the way Marvel and D.C. subjects have, they will not cannibalizes exposure of other properties by keeping a line out there if it clearly isn't hitting that long term threshold. Lego just gave them a bunch more shelf space in new uncharted territory with Superheroes Girls sets. The Licensor will follow the money and use Lego sets to pimp their latest and greatest offerings. 

I have been, and am, working on new LOTR custom figures again. Anyone who's interested in seeing them can come take a look at my topic.
Recently added Gothmog, and I'm currently working on the Dead Men of Dunharrow, including their King.

Topic

The problem with those is that they are (for me) too movie realistic and no longer look anything like lego minifigures.

On 1/11/2017 at 6:26 PM, MAB said:

The problem with those is that they are (for me) too movie realistic and no longer look anything like lego minifigures.

They still have the shapes, however, like highly detailed LEGO figures - that's my overall goal with these, so I'm glad.

I will also be redoing other existing LOTR figures in that style, so anyone who's interested, feel free to come follow my topic (or Flickr) there, there's much more to come in the coming weeks (months).

Edited by General Magma

I know the angle of the wings is a little off, but I think Thor's helmet from the Ragnarok sets may service as a 2nd age Gondorian one.

There are photos on the front-page if you haven't seen :)

On 5/1/2017 at 0:41 PM, Seaber said:

I know the angle of the wings is a little off, but I think Thor's helmet from the Ragnarok sets may service as a 2nd age Gondorian one.

There are photos on the front-page if you haven't seen :)

That's an interesting idea, I may check that out too! I'm still resentful over all the missing links in the Lord of the Rings line. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a custom molded Witchking helmet? Is there any reason why Bickforge or someone like that hasn't made one yet? It and Sauron's helmet seem like obvious choices. Do you think they are concerned about copyright claims? Also, have any of you seen any cool LOTR or Hobbit mocs lately?

I can imagine two reasons:

1) copyright if it is movie accurate and

2) lack of likely sales for them.

I imagine (2) is a bigger problem than (1). Who is going to buy 100, 50 or even 10 of a Witch King helmet? Many people will want 1. Brickforge / brickwarriors don't make money by selling one of something, they make money shifting bulk items to army builders. Plus now it is probably too late to attract the masses. Sure, 1000 people might want to buy one helmet. But is that worth the design, mold manufacturing, fabrication, etc?

I can tell this thread is not updated often, is there any thread here about update my figures, equallent to what exist in the star wars thread? I want to have ideas on what LOTR figures I can construct that is not made by lego

cheers!

Edited by Sneakguest

2 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

I can tell this thread is not updated often, is there any thread here about update my figures, equallent to what exist in the star wars thread? I want to have ideas on what LOTR figures I can construct that is not made by lego

People would probably be interested in all of the ones that haven't been made by lego.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

People would probably be interested in all of the ones that haven't been made by lego.

Sorry, don't exactly get you point, are you trying to say it would be nice if it existed but it doesn't? 

He said that people would be more insterested in characters that haven't been made (like Faramir, Eowyn, Sauron, etc) than updating existing ones.

But I agree with you, it would be nice to have a thead that assembles both options: purists improvements on existing characters and purists creations of new characters, like one Denethor we've seen using sith black robe and the grandma (collection minifigs) gray hair..

Edited by Lord_Tyrannus

1 minute ago, sahidko said:

Amazon is officially making a ‘Lord of the Rings’ TV series

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series/

What’re the chances we might see LEGO sets for this or a return to the LoTR theme? I d say it depends on the suitability of the content, if they choose to go GoT style then definitely not.

10 minutes ago, LordLEGOtube said:

What’re the chances we might see LEGO sets for this or a return to the LoTR theme? I d say it depends on the suitability of the content, if they choose to go GoT style then definitely not.

I absolutely agree. But even if the series is a success, the Hobbit movies were very profitable as well, but not for TLG trying to sell its sets. I would love to see new sets, or any proper castle-theme, for that part. but I wonder if it needs a general resurgence of classical, high fantasy to see sets like this on the shelves again. And even then, they would be up against themes like Star Wars and Super Heroes, which are far more action/vehicle-oriented, which - I think - makes them more appealing to kids.

1 hour ago, LordLEGOtube said:

I hope they don't go down the soft core nudity route, it isn't necessary for LOTR. But fantasy battle violence is OK, just like the original movies.

1 minute ago, MAB said:

I hope they don't go down the soft core nudity route, it isn't necessary for LOTR. 

The Extended Edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey contains Fleeting Nudity.

I.e. dwarf butt

On 29. 12. 2015 at 9:40 PM, sahidko said:

Just found out that Rakrondewl published LDD files to his LOTR Lego Ideas creations if anybody is interested: http://www.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/eb963081-87f1-4b55-9d37-846e7325061a?index=2

I am actually thinking about building the Minas Tirith one.

"Bit" later than originally planned but i finally built the Minas Tirith. Not 100% complete yet and some parts need to be changed to correct color but it is still a very nice build to look at.

1U0zMF.jpg

Thanks RAKRONDEWL for releasing the LDD file to public!