HenrikLego

MOC: The House of Literature - Fredrikstad

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

In January 2013 the House of Literature opens in Fredrikstad (Norway) and Earthtree Media (where I work) will be moving in to new offices on the first floor.

Griff Architecture, that we share offices with today (before we move in to these new offices), has drawn this house that lies at the river promenade in Fredrikstad.

Here are some pictures of the house taken yesterday:

litteraturhus_1_800.jpg

litteraturhus_2_800.jpg

litteraturhus_3_800.jpg

litteraturhus_4_800.jpg

litteraturhus_5_800.jpg

I thought the architecture-style on this house was very nice and wanted to make my own model of the house, and here it is!

litteraturhus_lego_1_800.jpg

litteraturhus_lego_2_800.jpg

litteraturhus_lego_3_800.jpg

litteraturhus_lego_4_800.jpg

litteraturhus_lego_5_800.jpg

litteraturhus_lego_6_800.jpg

litteraturhus_lego_7_800.jpg

litteraturhus_lego_8_800.jpg

litteraturhus_lego_9_800.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Great, I like it a lot. What does Griff Architecture say about your model? Do they want to display it?

Funny enough that you are sharing offices but that your company will move to the building that they have drawn. Maybe they wanted to get rid of you noisy guys :wink:

Thanks!

I'm waiting for the architect to come in to the office, but he has liked it on Facebook, so I don't think it will be a total disaster to show it to him. :classic:

Thank you. I showed the house to the architects today and they were very enthusiastic about the model. They wondered if I would make some more models of some of they're other projects so maybe I'll post some more architecture-models here in the near future.

They had one comment about the railings at the terrace. It should be transparent instead of tan so that the "line" that starts at the ground and goes around the whole building would be completed at the end of the terrace. So I'm looking for some solution to that as transparent corner panel don't exist. Anyone with any ideas?

As I said on the Brikkelauget forum; this is realy nice model! I think you got all the important details from the building into the model.

About the railings at the terrace, here is a few ideas:

You could use the Fence 1x4x1 http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3633 part in tan. But it would be tricky in the corners. And the pattern is "wrong"

You can also stick a 1x1 tile between two studs and put a 1x plate upside down on top of those. But that may be too thick.

A third option is to use some brick 1x4 http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3066 in Trans-Clear without anything on top.

The railings is pretty thin, so maybe a tube or something like that. Only fixed into some 1x1 bricks with stud on side on each end.

I like the house and the model... But the model does not represent the house correctly! :sceptic: I mean the original's windows are plain with the walls and do not have niches.

Anyway the techniques you have used are amazing. :thumbup:

Great job on the building and photography (so clean!). The half-stud offsets for the slit windows are just the job - well done!

You could use trans bricks in the corners. It's not as nice as corner panels but probably better than the tan railing

I can't say that I'm particularly taken with the style of the actual building (just not to my tastes) but I think your model of it is absolutely wonderful. It's a tight build and a nice adaptation that captures the 'feel' of the original quite nicely.

That's a beautiful Architecture MOC, HenrikLego, and it would be worthy of a frontpage... but I'm afraid your pictures are too large, so I've removed the image tags.

Please resize them to a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels, then feel free to repost them.

If you're not sure how to resize, follow the tutorials link in my signature. Thanks!

Many thanks for all the constructive and nice comments! We moved in to our new offices in the building yesterday. The atmosphere inside this building is just amazing. A wonderful place to work!

I like the house and the model... But the model does not represent the house correctly! :sceptic: I mean the original's windows are plain with the walls and do not have niches.

Anyway the techniques you have used are amazing. :thumbup:

I know that the model is slightly different from the house itself with the niches, but I couldn't find another way to make the windows look like the original without doing compromises that I think is more vital (like keeping the feel of wooded walls with plates and not making the model to big). The building itself is quite simplistic and I wanted the model to be as simplistic as possible as well.

Great job on the building and photography (so clean!). The half-stud offsets for the slit windows are just the job - well done!

Thank you very much! I've worked quite some time with the photos to make them as clean and sharp as possible. Glad you liked the offsets, it was actually one of the positive comments from the architect as well.

You could use trans bricks in the corners. It's not as nice as corner panels but probably better than the tan railing

Fonix also mentioned this tip some posts above you, and I think it sounds like a good idea. I think I'll test that as soon as I have the parts for it. This was the only negative comment from the architect so I'll definitively want to do something about it.

Please resize them to a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels, then feel free to repost them.

I'm sorry about this, I have resized the images and changed the first post. The images are now links to the full-size image instead.

Edited by HenrikLego

I'm sorry about this, I have resized the images and changed the first post. The images are now links to the full-size image instead.

Thanks and no worries. Frontpaged! :thumbup:

Nice one indeed HenrikLego! It really has the Architecture line feel to it! Nice size and overall look but I agree with that the windows prefereable should be even to the wall. One solution, but expensive, could be to use the Trans-Clear Slope, Inverted 45 2 x 1 - http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=658&colorID=12.

But again, all clean, nice looking Architecture MOC!

After a long time I've finally managed to finish this building. When the main building was completed the side building was build. Today the Church City Mission has offices here. One side of the side building also serves as the entrance to the parking garage under the main building.

12081776316_81029cc78a_c.jpg

12081135025_2a8d675de1_c.jpg

12081134925_11c5f30473_c.jpg

12081445093_50fc95c4a4_c.jpg

12081776246_640a869c93_c.jpg

Edited by HenrikLego

Very nice. I am not usually into this range, but your house looks very good and a nice example of what inspiration can be found in our everyday lives. Also a good way to show that you are into LEGO without appearing to be excessively Geek like or like playing with childrens toys; the theme is adult and people can appreciate what you have done from that standpoint.

That's very nice!

You've used some beautiful techniques (my compliments on those inverted cheese slopes) to create a wonderful building. It looks deciptivly simple, but a closer study reveals that it's more like an elegant complexity. I just adore that.

My only remark would be that the ground is a little inconsistent. You have those 2x2 tiles all over the place, creating a nice effect, and then that's broken up with that big flat surface of the slope. Maybe you can use the same 2x2 tiles at an angle to make it consistent. Or you could SNOT the whole floor to make it look flat.

My compliments and congratulations though, for creating this wonderful building.

BTW, that building looks very familiar to me...

MAS_tcm9-24395.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_aan_de_Stroom

It isn't from the same architect however...

wow, great looking build and including the garage is a nice touch. You did a really clean job that looks like TLG could pick this up and market it. How did you do the name plate? Just a sticker? Nice touch and I hope the folks who walk in to see it are very impressed with your build.

Thanks for your nice comments!

BEAVeR: I see your point on that big slope-plate/brick, but I just didn't find a better solution that looked as clean as this. I have to agree on that building you refer to. It looks very similar! I'm sure the architects here in Norway are aware of it. :)

Herky: The name plate is engraved by a fellow LUG-member (and Lego Certified Professional), Matija Pužar.

Edited by HenrikLego

Very nice.

Funny thing is, after I viewed the first set of posted pics, it felt like there was definitely something missing - more ground, perhaps - it felt scrunched into/ onto its plate and border.

But then I scrolled down to the recent pics, and breathed: Yea. There it is. Much better.

I think, personally, that you should add two things to it:

a) The riverside. It doesn't have to be much; but enough to give it some blue, and context. I think, in its design, that the water was integral to its vision. And so it should be here, too. Think about it - because even in your own first pic of the actual building, you included the river .

b) Something small and green. To represent flora of some kind. That, along with the blue? (water), will *pop* with the Tan palette.

Right now its nice. But a little cold feeling. Something natural will give it warmth and draw the viewer in more.

Just my $ 0.02. Nice work, regardless.

Edited by notaromantic

Thanks for your nice comments!

notaromantic: Funny you should mention those to ideas for improvement, because that is something I have been thinking myself as well. After the building was complete they started on the park right next to it. This park is now complete, and I would very much like to include it in my model. Here is a picture of the park.

Litteraturhuset-1_web.jpg

I have also started to work on some ideas to add some of the sea/river:

19256570194_bd0bf15f00_b.jpg

There has also been done work on the building right next to the House of Literature, a wooden-building with restaurants (Storgata 13). The same architect. I have started to make a model of this now:

storgata-13.jpg

19691227390_2839990817_b.jpg

When this is finished I will start with the new building on the other side of the House of Literature (next to the park), the S5 (Storgata 5). Again the same architect and the last building to complete the renovation of this part of the riverside in Fredrikstad.

1431089735099.png?chk=E099A8

Edited by HenrikLego

A long time since my last update here, but I am finally done with the design of Storgata 13 and the park next to the House of Literature. Next up now is to gather parts to build it.

28977066631_9fc0a440c4_c.jpg

28432455634_54ae4cf206_c.jpg

28461342244_db7ef9377d_c.jpg