I think the Town Hall is so large and rather boring looking that it is the sore thumb sticking out of any modular city block it is included in. It would look much better if placed on a 48x48 baseplate with a bit of greenery around all sides of it, as it would look much better as a stand alone building.

This is why it is the first modular that has come along that I have not wanted at all. But I did score some nice accessory pieces, minifigs and parts like the clock face in a parts draft.

I have to agree with you 100%... in most American small towns... the City Hall is usually on a prominent block by its' self with a small park or village green in front of it. I always imagined my Victorian Gazebo MOC... would have looked good in such a setting...

gazebo-3.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

The transparent windows were previously mentioned as a bad point, but for me the "empty" round windows above these is worse than windows with glass.

So I just put gold lattice pane in these:

10232_lattice_windows.jpg

That's what I did for other modular buildings too (but with black ones)

I think it looks better with these gold lattice panes ( http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=30046 ), I wonder why Lego does not include them in their buildings.

And also why they do not make a glass for that window :hmpf_bad:

Luckily gold & black lattice panes can be found for cheap on BL.

Edited by antp

antp, I agree that the gold lattice panes look superb. I originally intended to PaB-order black lattice panes along with the new Palace Cinema later this month, but now I think gold might be better. Would you post an image with black ones for comparison?

Here is it:

10232_lattice_windows_black.jpg

When seen from close it looks good (matching the bars that are in front of the bottom windows), but with less light and from a little further they are nearly not noticeable anymore. So I'll keep the gold ones.

Edited by antp

Thank you, antp, it's appreciated. The gold pieces make the whole building "glow" in prestige, whereas the black ones largely leave the building's appearance in its original state. Both fill up the nasty window holes. I am still undecided which of the two I like better.

Built mine this past week. Very happy with the end result! Fits nicely with the rest of the modulars. Depsite reservations about the limo in the pre-release pictures, I find it (though still clunky) not to be as bad as I had feared. The clunkiness doesn't bother me as much as the wheels appearing to be too small for a vehicle of this stature.

Am I the only one hoping the inclusion of the poster for "Mystery On The Monorail" is a sneak hint that Lego is going to bring back the monorail in some form???

I was also torn between when to buy this. We VIP members could've gotten it in mid-Feb, but I didn't have the $ at that time. Then on release day (1 Mar) when my wife gives me my monthly allowance -- which is when I DID acquire it. Or I contemplated waiting for double VIP days (25 Mar - 8 Apr). I chose March 1st out of fear that the local Lego Store would be sold out of it during double days (hey, it's happened before). Besides, I can use double days for my second Horizon and some more Hobbit sets (or Lone Rnager if they're out yet)...

--Mr. Bill

(darn I need to get an avatar up!)

Unfortunately, the poster(I think) is just a nod to us AFOLs. We certainly have voiced our admiration for the monorails of yesteryear. I would be ecstatic if it was a hint.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow, can't wait!

Yes wouldn't it be nice if they bought out another monorail! I'm sure we would all buy one for own town and ones to keep for years to come! I still have the space monorail and the airport shuttle from when I was a kid, so grateful my Mum is a hoarder and kept all of our lego!

I ordered two from Shop@Home on the 19th February, they still haven't arrived and no tracking details are showing up either. Not fair, I want to build this set as it looks fantastic - will be even better with the larger version I am planning.

I have just contacted customer service, lets hope they give me a satisfactory answer as to where my delivery is, all previous have arrived within 2 weeks.

That sounds as something has gone wrong.

As several people have noted earlier in the thread that ordered at the same time as you shipment was extraordinarily fast this time. I got mine delivered at the door after three days and that was over a weekend. Hope LEGO sorts it out for you quickly so you can get bulding.

The gold window pieces looks great and is a good idea. will be putting some in my palace set. It blends in well nicely with the style of the building.

And as for the tip of the baseplate facing the door it is not raised in mine like the problem with the grand emporium.

I really like that gold lattice panel also. I may have to think about modding mine, although I wasn't going to originally.

I can't wait to get this, although it's down the list since it just came out. I need to stock up on soon to be expired sets first!

I saw the Cinema built as a display in a Lego store yesterday. Looks great. I don't have much of a city just yet. Does anyone have a photo of the Cinema and the Town Hall in a setting similar to a small town square? Most of the modulars seem to depict a large urban city when placed together. I'd just like to have a small town square for various depictions.

I saw the Cinema built as a display in a Lego store yesterday. Looks great. I don't have much of a city just yet. Does anyone have a photo of the Cinema and the Town Hall in a setting similar to a small town square? Most of the modulars seem to depict a large urban city when placed together. I'd just like to have a small town square for various depictions.

I'm in the same boat.

I have a town square setup with the Town Hall in the middle and I'm trying to figure out where to squeeze in Palace Cinema. The two main corner lots that flank the Town Hall are taken by GE on one side and CC on the other. I may have to start to branch off from the square, even though I feel like a cinema should be a part of it.

Edited by skobabe8

I'm in the same boat.

I had a similar situation. Once I knew the next modular was going to be a corner, I split my street into two blocks with a new road in between. Since I have a few of my own Modular MOCs I just removed some (with which I will start a second street of MOC modulars later after Mrs. Bill tells me where in the house it can go) to make up for the lost room. In my arrangement I have the Cinema and GE on opposite sides of the new street. The far right corner (of the right block) is occupied by the CC (since the word "HOTEL" reads correctly there and I don't want to rebuild it mirrored at this time). One more corner modular and the two blocks will be complete. To make room in the future I still have two 16x32 MOC Modulars and an extra GG (built mirrored and placed next to the first GG to appear as a larger GG) I can remove to accomodate future CC buildings...

--Mr. Bill

I have an issue where I only display large sets in my glass case. Could anyone connect the Fire Brigade right next to the Palace Cinema and tell me which one is taller? My display case is from IKEA so the highest shelf goes to the fire brigade. Anything taller than FB will not be able to fit

Edited by namioik

Could anyone connect the Fire Brigade right next to the Palace Cinema and tell me which one is taller?

It's close, but the Fire Brigade is taller than the Palace Cinema by about a Brick.

It's close, but the Fire Brigade is taller than the Palace Cinema by about a Brick.

Thank you very much

I like how you put Town Hall separated from the rest with a little walkway. May have to do that with mine...

The only problem with modulars is they ruin your classic town sets due to size difference. I may have to MOC my old sets into modulars. To Brick-Link!

@skobabe8: Great layout. Do you have any more pictures of it?

Thank you!

I only have a couple of pictures. My layout is still under construction and doesn't look presentable (No sidewalks, train, airport, marina, etc.), but feel free to check out the Flickr page I just started. I based my layout on the town I live in, Crown Point, IN, which has the courthouse in the middle and shops and restaurants surrounding it. I really like that look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94120459@N02/

Great Layout! I particularly like the stand alone TH and the fountain! I am sure you'll find a clever way to place the Palace Cinema!

Waiting for updates, thanks for sharing.