Thanks a lot Stefano!

I think I will wait then, and try to use the double VIP program for other purchases as well!

Have a nice evenning.

Thanks Grogall, won't miss the timeframe! I guess this applies to all countries... (i.e. Switzerland as well..).

You always have the answers... :classic:

well one euro is one punt, and the palace cinema costs 139.99 euros, so with double points you will get 278 points and 100 points are 5 euros worth so you will get 10 euros atleast... dunno if the 78 points give you anything .....

78 points will get you nothing, but you could buy another (12euro) set (I suggest Catwoman set) and you will get additional 5 euro discount,

In Australia we has to wait for you Europeans to wake up before we could order ours. We were limited to two only. Did you Europeans or Americans have a limit of 2 or the normal 5?

Well have it...............

palace_box.jpg

I'll take a picture of all of them together later!

UK store had a limit of two only as well, not sure if that applied to retail or not (I wasn't able to take the 2 hour round trip this time).

Just picked mine up from my local LEGO Store. I was surprised that they already had it out on display! Man, what I would do to be the guy who gets to build sets for a living...

Just got mine as well. They had them out on display already in the NYC store. I must say it looks great in person. Looking forward to the build sometime this weekend.

Oh, I wish we had a LEGO brand store here, so I could have it in my hands already!

Couldn't wait to order, especially since shipping was offered... it kind of makes it even cheaper than double vip points.. :blush: (at least in switzerland..), I'll just have to count the days until delivery...

Shipped same day as order, that was fast! Free shipping also helped the pain...

I went ahead with express shipping. It's already been shipped and should be here by 3 PM tomorrow - thanks for the fast turnaround, LEGO!

Lucky for all of you in places around the world getting free shipping on this set!

Does anyone know if next month's VIP free shipping offer includes Australia?

I'd love to order this set right now, but think I'll hold off for Free Shipping if possible.

Just finished building this beauty. Definitely look even nicer in person than in pictures. The car is still kinda cluncky, but the cinema is gorgeous inside and out! Love the printed star elements, but the stickers for the posters and the marquee were a bummer. Oh well, overall I'm super happy with the purchase.

Had great fun building the set tonight. Very nice indeed. Lots of new and interesting building techniques. (The spot lights on the front use the harpoon gun!). The 45 degree doors are awesome - and the way the Palace sign sub-assembly clips on is really nice and solid. The only let downs are the stickers and the 'limo' which I can confirm looks even worse in the hand than in the photos. The interior is OK but I won't have any qualms about ripping it out to fit my 26-seater auditorium mod instead.

Had great fun building the set tonight. Very nice indeed. Lots of new and interesting building techniques. (The spot lights on the front use the harpoon gun!). The 45 degree doors are awesome - and the way the Palace sign sub-assembly clips on is really nice and solid. The only let downs are the stickers and the 'limo' which I can confirm looks even worse in the hand than in the photos. The interior is OK but I won't have any qualms about ripping it out to fit my 26-seater auditorium mod instead.

You make for a very valid point about making it a 26 seat auditorium.

As a historian (of more than just LEGO :wink: ) of old Movie Palaces, TLG wasted too much space inside this theatre with the concession stand on the first floor, and ONLY (!!!) 3 seats on the 2nd floor.

Real movie theatres of the 1920s and 1930s didn't even have concession stands until the early 1940s. So TLG could have left that out of their design. They could have had main floor (known as the Orchestra Level) theatre seats instead, and have the 2nd floor be a small balcony... but without the projection equipment. That was a very awkward move on the part of the designers. Real projection booths and their equipment are NEVER seen in old movie houses... just the square small windows in the back of the balcony where the projector is hidden. They could have followed suit and just put a few small headlight bricks into a flat wall at the back of the steeply pitched balcony.

Also old movie palaces and cinemas had Proceniums... the fancy arches around the stage. This cinema design only has a flat screen wall with little in the way to even suggest that there is even a Procenium. And the procenium should have been 2 stories high (had there been a 2 story auditorium).

By eliminating the concession stand and projector area... this theatre could ACTUALLY have had a decent quantity of seating. 3 seats is almost absurd.

P.S. Anyone who has been to old cinemas and movie palaces, will notice that there is a shortage of restrooms. That was because in the early years there were no concession stands to order your popcorn and big gulp beverages that require potty breaks.

Edited by LEGO Historian

The designer in the video that GRogall posted (thanks for that BTW) said that the model was started by an intern and finished by her. Perhaps that explains some of it's shortcomings?

Joe

The fact that it was an intern and Astrid working on it explains the plainness inside. I thought Town Hall was nice and all (another Astrid building), but it was definitely a step back after the previous modulars. Thankfully the new ones still look glorious on the outside.

Lucky for all of you in places around the world getting free shipping on this set!

I'm torn between buying it now with free shipping, or go buying it next month in the store in Lille so I can fill a pick-a-brick cup at the same time :devil:

Well here is a nice picture of all the Modulars together without MS which I find still doesn't work well in this series.....

all_modulars_800.jpg

Picture links to HR image!

and who says these buildings don't look right next to one another?

Enjoy! :wink::classic: :classic:

Edited by GRogall

Sigh, I wish I'd been able to buy Cafe Corner before it got incredibly expensive - it really does help the look of the whole street. I still think Town Hall is too tall though...