...snipped some totally reasonable explaining of why you don't like the set...

as it's part of a collection I'll have to get it

...but wtf? Why? Just don't buy the thing if you don't like it. Or buy it and modify it. No-one has a gun to your head (or do they?) :wink:

Edited by andythenorth

As some others, I like the exterior but the interior is a big dissapointment.

I'm going tot mod it into a Chinese restaurant I think and finally try to make my own cinema/theatre.

The windows on the second floor seem to bug many of you. Could it be that TLC also takes into consideration the AFOLs who not only buy and build this set, but also disassemble it to make new MOCs out of it? As a parts pack it would lose much of its value to me if it hadn't some windows in it.

Seeing the "rounded" windows without glass above the little square windows with glass remind that TLC should really release a glass for these windows (as currently the only "glass" for these rounded windows is the lattice one, if I'm right)

I made a suggestion for round glass in the Embassy subforum a while ago. I'm glad I'm not the only one 'missing' this piece. :classic:

I couldnt agree more with the need for a glass piece for this window. It kind of looks silly when this arched window without glass is on top of the 1x2x2 windows with glass IMO as is the case with this build.

im a little surprised by the design and the limo is weird but I will definitely be buying it when it becomes available. I know it will grow on me.

I hadn't thought of the car not having a designated area to park compared to the Fire Brigade's bay. Obviously (like many others) I will be modding or not building that car so it won't be that big of a deal. I actually really like this limo. I know it isn't vintage looking which I assume is what they were going for with the Cinema.

...snipped some totally reasonable explaining of why you don't like the set...

...but wtf? Why? Just don't buy the thing if you don't like it. Or buy it and modify it. No-one has a gun to your head (or do they?) :wink:

But I do like it. My biggest beefs are the potential stickers, though I think I saw someone say they were printed, and the car. I'm probably going to mod the car, but it sucks as is.

And what's wrong with wanting to collect the full set? Eventually I'd like to build Cafe Corner and Green Grocer from more common pieces since they're the only two I don't have.

I don't get it. Are you going to buy it as a parts pack? Are you going to leave it in the box and let it appreciate? I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to protest or who you're trying to spite. As AFOLs, the group TLG designs this series for, I think we have a right to complain when something doesn't match our expectations for what the company and its paid model makers are capable of. There are some questionable aspects of this set that have some people on the fence about it. The car is awful, they've had better in $20 creator sets. If it indeed uses stickers that is very disappointing. The windows don't bother me as I won't be watching movies in there and dealing with the sun glare, but I can see why people are upset about that. TLG should know by now what the AFOL community expects of this line and one would expect them to pander to us, since few parents are plopping down $150 for a single set for their young child.

Theres probably just as many people who love it to who hate it. It seems as most dislike the car. I don't really care one way or the other about it, the building matters. I love the building and don't mind at all what others are picking at. But, there is nothing wrong voicing your opinion, whether you like it or not. Since we all know some designers look here and of course we have the Ambassadors, who send word to TLG on stuff. I like to think they take what is said here and file it away for future reference.

There is a point to saying what the building doesnt have . It is missing a chandelier on the bottom floor which would of added to the entire movie ambiance feeling and plus if the ticket booth was on the outside under the sign it would left more room in the interior of the bottom floor.

The ticket booth is on the outside. It's placed so the guy working the concession stand inside can simply turn around and sell tickets. I just never saw a point in talking about what a building doesn't have. They're always going to miss something to everyone. If say, a house, had every necessary room and accessory a house typically has(say it's a 3 bed, 2 bath), can you imagine how expensive that would be? I certainly wouldn't buy it. They give you a few of the more necessary bits to said building to make it believable to being said building.

However, my townhouses bathroom in 10218 is always busy being the only one in my town. :tongue:

At first I thought the entire building was weird (not just the car), but it’s really starting to grow on me. I won't be able to pass it up, that's for sure.

I'm going tot mod it into a Chinese restaurant ...

That was my plan as soon as I got a good look at it. I'm not sure if it will be "Noodle Palace" or "Golden Palace". Depends on how I want to make the sign I guess.

You know, I've looked at these pictures enough times now- and I think I've finally decided: the staircase has to go. I would rather make a screen 3 x as large and put additional details on my first floor and seating for another 9 or 10 folks and really give the illusion of a large stadium style theater rather than worry too much about the logistics of how they get up there. The more I think about it... The staircase is what just takes up too much room and makes the 2nd floor look silly.

Here is my opinion on the Palace Cinema:-

1) It has a fantastic exterior, but I am concern if the movie posters and signboards are stickers or printed window pieces? As far as I know all the modular buildings have not used stickers. I hope those poster and sign boards are the printed window panes similar to those used in the Fire Temple set

2) Regarding the interior, I do agree I am somewhat disappointed with it since it is no where near what I had imagine it would be. Maybe because we are spoiled by awesome MOCs such as this one , but I think TLG had to work within some budget constraints and modular building rules when designing the set. I wonder if TLG pushed the piece count a little more to 2600 pieces like the Town Hall will the result be better? I was certainly expecting stadium seating with a projector room like all cinemas out there.

3) One of the posters showed "Mysterious Monorail". Is TLG hinting it will bring back a monorail set? I sure hope they would!

That was my plan as soon as I got a good look at it. I'm not sure if it will be "Noodle Palace" or "Golden Palace". Depends on how I want to make the sign I guess.

If you're going to that level of effort, you should MOD the sign to be something like "Lucky Dragon" such that, if some of the neon lights were to go out on some of the letters, it would reduce to " ucky rag " after dark. It's a shame we don't have more glow in the dark pieces available, you could do the L,D,o an n in white and the other letters in glow in the dark. By day it would seem innocent enough, but turn off the lights and the Ucky Rag would be open for business.

I'm actually very excited about this set. Not as much for the build itself, but more for the MOC opportunities. I have a few ideas myself, and I know others will come up with some great modified versions.

My ideas:

Extending the cinema to give more room.

Adding more seats, with different heights.

Separate projection room.

Modifying to allow an iPhone/smartphone to be a working screen!

Changing the movie posters.

Adding a tile carpet.

As 'ritzcrackerman' said, might be worth removing the staircase to increase the cinema size.

Edited by polyphonic

I am very excited about this set but I will probably modify it due to the limited seating. I might just get 2 of these and combine them but keep one side of the building a corner and the other straight. The limo in my opinion wasn't really necessary. I also agree TLG needs to start making glass for the arch window. Besides a couple flaws this set was well done.

I quite like the building. Although I will be very tempted to try my hand at modding it heavily. Some ideas in that regard.

1. Changing it to a full frontal building, with a ticket box out front. A narrower area for concessions in the lobby, and ground floor theater seating running side to side. Stairs up to a balcony seating area and a projection booth.

2. Even if not the full change above. Modifying the second floor theater to change the wall color, give some texturing to the interior walls, much like such places had, and blocking the interior of those windows.

3. Add a third row os seating. Even if it means simplifying the seats.

If you're going to that level of effort, you should MOD the sign to be something like "Lucky Dragon" such that, if some of the neon lights were to go out on some of the letters, it would reduce to " ucky rag " after dark. It's a shame we don't have more glow in the dark pieces available, you could do the L,D,o an n in white and the other letters in glow in the dark. By day it would seem innocent enough, but turn off the lights and the Ucky Rag would be open for business.

At least here in the Western US (I'm in Portland, OR), the Chinese restaurants that opened in the early 20th century had some inadvertent double entendres. I will have to think of some LEGO pun names and do that as well...

Edited by ritzcrackerman

I'm actually very excited about this set. Not as much for the build itself, but more for the MOC opportunities. I have a few ideas myself, and I know others will come up with some great modified versions.

My ideas:

Extending the cinema to give more room.

Adding more seats, with different heights.

Separate projection room.

Modifying to allow an iPhone/smartphone to be a working screen!

Changing the movie posters.

Adding a tile carpet.

As 'ritzcrackerman' said, might be worth removing the staircase to increase the cinema size.

I love all these ideas. In addition, I'm also considering:

Chandelier

Long curtains for the theater room in a dark red or purple

Open air bar/cafe on the roof

Buckets of popcorn

I'm typically the kind of builder that likes to leave the official sets as nature intended, but I'm finding my creative juices really stirring when I think of the possibilities of this model! If that was the intention, then this model was successful and maybe putting the modulars under the Creator brand was a smart move.

The exterior design and concept and "bare bones" is phenomenal. But the interior is ripe for modding, whether within its given space or as a fusion of two or more sets.

I wouldn't worry about modding the windows as, if you look at the images, those two walls facing the pavement are two-studs wide anyway. With one layer of brick providing the 'arch' effects, and the layer behind it supporting the windows, you could simply replace the windows with standard bricks and you'd still at least the nice architecture in front of it.

Now seeing more of it I think I like it even more.

Those stars on the pavement are brilliant as well as the entrance!

And I actually like the seats in the film room. I am also not too worried about not having a separate projector room. I think it would only make it look worse.

And the windows... Well just pretend they have curtains.

It basically is another great addition to the line of modular buildings!

I can't wait to see everyone's interpretation of how this modular should look! So many great ideas. I am wondering about the chandelier though, I can't recall ever seeing one in a theater. Is that common in Europe? Maybe I just go to crummy theaters, I dunno...

I am actually kind of surprised by the new pics. I thought the actual theater room would be a bit more detailed, although the outside is fantastic. I think its a great set overall, but I wish they'd spent more detail on he inside, like in the pet shop for example.

I like the set the way it is the windows allow you to see the interiors which would be pointless to do without them. Also I think it would be cool to do a ficker effect to make it look like a movie is showing.

Bill

I guess I have the same negative feedback that has already been mentioned, so I won’t go into that, but I have to say that I am very disappointed with this one.

I actually created my own art-deco cinema (fully designed in LDD, but only the ground floor built for real so far). If you want to check it out, I have uploaded some renders on MOCPages:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/350883

It’s not a corner design, as I realised very quickly that you lose so much real estate when you take a corner onboard - you need every square stud in area when it comes to building a cinema.

With mine, I was still able to have two cinemas, stairs to the second floor, concession stand on both levels, windows as well as fully darkened cinemas, projectors, speakers and lighting, many more seats than 10232, and a slightly different design for each level’s cinema (was also able to incorporate raised seating for each row of seats!!!). All of this, with some unique building techniques that I have to say that I am quite proud of!

The part count for my cinema is 2846 pieces, so definitely something in the reasonable range (when compared to Town Hall for example), so, I guess my disappointment comes from personal experience in that I know that TLC could have done so much more with this.

Saying all of that, I will be buying this set - the main reason being to have “the complete set” - and that’s the only reason. I may also still complete my cinema, and turn this one into a Chinese restaurant, as someone else mentioned they would do. I think there is a lot of potential there.