This is becoming a fantastic vessel and you have one of the best riggings I've ever seen, it strikes me as very accurate. There is just one little thing off: the aftmost rope of the shrouds should be perpendicular to the waterline, which is not the case on the second level of the shrouds ;)

This is becoming a fantastic vessel and you have one of the best riggings I've ever seen, it strikes me as very accurate. There is just one little thing off: the aftmost rope of the shrouds should be perpendicular to the waterline, which is not the case on the second level of the shrouds ;)

I do believe frank meant the for most shroud. If indeed he did, his point is valid The upper for shroud should start at the base of the top mast and follow along its axis. The chains that anchor the upper shrouds will pass between the lowed shrouds and attach to the main mast. The shrouds should not terminate at their height, but rather wrap around the mast they stabilize and double all the way back down to the dead eyes. If the mast leans at an angle back into the wind, a rake, the for shroud will follow that angle. The primary function of shrouds is to keep the masts from tipping from side to side as the ship pitches and rolls. A secondary, but perhaps equally important, function it to brace the mast against the pressure of the wind. If the shrouds lean forward they will likely have little strength against either force and the whole apparatus would collapse. Looking at you images I would suggest reconstructing the cross trees atop the top mast to bring the top of all three shrouds backward about one brick length.

I do believe frank meant the for most shroud. If indeed he did, his point is valid The upper for shroud should start at the base of the top mast and follow along its axis. The chains that anchor the upper shrouds will pass between the lowed shrouds and attach to the main mast. The shrouds should not terminate at their height, but rather wrap around the mast they stabilize and double all the way back down to the dead eyes. If the mast leans at an angle back into the wind, a rake, the for shroud will follow that angle. The primary function of shrouds is to keep the masts from tipping from side to side as the ship pitches and rolls. A secondary, but perhaps equally important, function it to brace the mast against the pressure of the wind. If the shrouds lean forward they will likely have little strength against either force and the whole apparatus would collapse. Looking at you images I would suggest reconstructing the cross trees atop the top mast to bring the top of all three shrouds backward about one brick length.

It does help when a native speaker says what you wanted to say in a perfectly clear way :classic: Thank you Kurigan!

Your rigging is coming along really well and it's looking most accurate, as expected. I don't know but I guess it would have been to much work for me in any case. But it's very interesting to see it on your ship. I'll continue to follow your progress. :wink:

I agree. I don't like the look of the shroud angled like that and it will be fixed. Sadly when the cross tree moves back the shroud will lose tension and need to be restrung.

Your rigging is coming along really well and it's looking most accurate, as expected. I don't know but I guess it would have been to much work for me in any case. But it's very interesting to see it on your ship. I'll continue to follow your progress. :wink:

Thanks Perfectionist. I can't imagine having put this much time into rigging 6 ships at once. I cry when I think about having to do mast #2. :sceptic:

Wow, I love brigs, and this one is perfect! Makes me wanna tear down every ship I've build so far. Way to go Mr. Towsend!

It's beautiful, as said earlier, the rigging is phenomenal.

I bet some natural daylight would make this ship stand out more in the pictures :wink: .

Thank you gentlemen. :blush:

​@Sebeus I need to spend some time and have a good photo session but that will have to wait until she is finished. I can't say this next batch is even up to my normal WIP standard, but they were quick.

The 2x2 round still needs a decal but I'm quite happy with the stern.

9077208306_3d3a133629_z.jpg

Here you can see the futtock shrouds in better detail.

9077210334_49161e09ac_z.jpg

Those shrouds are really beautiful!

Both the colour, the rope-like look, the knots and also how the small horizontal ropes are going through the larger ones.

The quality of the rigging seems to be just as high as on a professional model ship made of wood :thumbup:

Perhaps it would also look nice in terms of proportions to make the lower yardarm of the spanker sail protrude a bit at the stern.

But I guess that would be more personal taste because it's historically accurate either way.

Can't wait to see the next stage of this ship!

Extremely impressive work! This has to be some of the best rigging I have ever seen! Very realistic.....

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Those shrouds are really beautiful!

Both the colour, the rope-like look, the knots and also how the small horizontal ropes are going through the larger ones.

The quality of the rigging seems to be just as high as on a professional model ship made of wood :thumbup:

Perhaps it would also look nice in terms of proportions to make the lower yardarm of the spanker sail protrude a bit at the stern.

But I guess that would be more personal taste because it's historically accurate either way.

Can't wait to see the next stage of this ship!

Thank's Admiral! I'm very excited to hear this from you after your rigging on the Vesta. :blush:

I rather like the spanker how its set but I may test it with a longer yardarm.

Extremely impressive work! This has to be some of the best rigging I have ever seen! Very realistic.....

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Thanks for the blog Capt. Stabbin'!

I'm extremely happy with how the rigging has come along to this point. And how the input from many talented builders in this forum has improved the rigging and the ship as a whole.

Now however, the running rigging is seeming a daunting task. :pirate_sad2:

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Beautiful! I have taken a bit of a hiatus, but after looking at your shrouds, I think that I might pull out some string and try myself. Now, did you use hot glue for the ratlines, or are they actually tied?

Beautiful! I have taken a bit of a hiatus, but after looking at your shrouds, I think that I might pull out some string and try myself. Now, did you use hot glue for the ratlines, or are they actually tied?

The ratlines are all individually tied at each end and in between they simply pass thought the larger strings to hold them in place. I didn't use hot glue but I did put a drop of Krazy Glue in the middle of each knot so as I finished the knot up it dried inside and holds each tight. Currently there are about 400 knots throughout the rigging.

Thank you gentlemen for the comments.

I'm still a bit intimidated by the remainder of the rigging so I've decided to make sails first.

It took me about and hour to figure out how to thread my sewing machine and then spent the rest of the day learning how to sew. I'm pretty happy with the result. I think the spanker turned out the best.

9277467282_15fbe1bc6e_z.jpg

To get the lines the propper thickness I had to go over each two or three times.

9277667314_deb0a99300_z.jpg

9274673503_abc1051573_z.jpg

The pen will disappear completely with water.

9274727199_c7e7ce5d52_z.jpg

Great job. Sewing with Machine is a pain indeed, especially when you learning how to do it. I also had problems doing it, when I sewn sails for my ships Redskull and Neptune. Anyway, your sails look good too. Keep up good work.

Edited by mrsniady1

as I scrolled down trough this topic it has gotten better and better, keep on going!

Wow I'm late to this party, but this Brig is fantastic! Already one of the best 2 masters I've seen. Really impressed with your rigging and sails so far. Did you use a cutting wheel on the sails? I see you've used my cannon technique too, glad to see more brick built cannons on ships of this quality :thumbup: Keep it up!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Great job. Sewing with Machine is a pain indeed, especially when you learning how to do it. I also had problems doing it, when I sewn sails for my ships Redskull and Neptune. Anyway, your sails look good too. Keep up good work.

Workin with the sewing machine was definitely difficult at first. This was due mainly to having to run each line multiple times trying to keep them straight and ontop of each other. You can spot a few areas where I did that poorly. I've gotten a fair amount more skilled since those first three to the point where I won't be using those two top royals.

This is so great!

Has anyone praised the cannons before?

Should you get tired of your fantastic model, we'd happily take it :wink:

Thank you Captain Braundfeld. The cannon design is from Dread Pirate Wesely whom I'm a big fan of. I've put a lot of thought into trying to improve them and I just can't do it. I don't think I'm going to get tired of this ship any time soon though. I'm very excited to put it on display.

Wow I'm late to this party, but this Brig is fantastic! Already one of the best 2 masters I've seen. Really impressed with your rigging and sails so far. Did you use a cutting wheel on the sails? I see you've used my cannon technique too, glad to see more brick built cannons on ships of this quality :thumbup: Keep it up!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

I'm glad your liking it so far and very glad your back from your long sebatical. I did use a cutting wheel on the sails and have since learned to use a straight edge as well. :tongue:

I have certainly used your cannons here. They look great on the Matterhorn and I of course had to use them again. Brick build guns fit so much better to scale then the Lego ones, not to mention the extra space you get on deck.

Thanks DPW!

Edited by Mr. Townsend