CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

70403-1.jpg

Lego better not use this mold for Smaug for the 2nd/3rd wave of Hobbit sets or I'll be very disappointed.

8431768247_5ea0446074_c.jpg

Meh. Looks like all the other generic castles they have done since the 80s. I'll wait for a second LotR themed castle/fortress (hopefully Minas Tirith)

Why talking about lotr in a Castle topic?

Castle is one of the greatest series of lego, show respect!

I see litle kids 4-10 wiil like those sets.

Well, I am 17 and I really like this set, the only flaw is the few minifigs, but that doesn't matter. So SheepEater, go eat some sheep and go talk about lotr in another topic.

Well, I am 17 and I really like this set, the only flaw is the few minifigs, but that doesn't matter. So SheepEater, go eat some sheep and go talk about lotr in another topic.

I'm sure you're trying to be funny there but I just want to remind you that tone of voice is very hard to read on the internet.

Sheepeater is talking about the Castle sets. If he wants to compare them with LOTR briefly, that's not against any rules. Opinions are not disallowed here.

I personally like the fact that the castle is reminiscent of the earlier castles. It's nice that it fits in with what came before.

I apologize for posting this, I don't want to add fuel to the fire, or prolong this. But each entitled to their own opinion regarding sets. To insult someone about it isn't really the proper way to go about it.

Also, aren't you suppose to be an adult to post here, hence, the AFOL?

Looking at that picture again, and the unintended color shifts in it, I still can't help but weep that they didn't make the new Castle in Dark Tan. That would have been so awesome. Kind of a nod back to the classic Yellow Castle, but in a more realistic earth/stone color. And much more distinctive than yet another bley castle.

Looking at that picture again, and the unintended color shifts in it, I still can't help but weep that they didn't make the new Castle in Dark Tan. That would have been so awesome. Kind of a nod back to the classic Yellow Castle, but in a more realistic earth/stone color. And much more distinctive than yet another bley castle.

I agree, that would have been pretty unique, and it still would have looked like a stone castle.

I am really partial to tan and dark tan combos in MOCs. From now on I think all of my castles will have those combinations instead of the traditional light/dark bley.

I'm not huge on this theme, so I will probably pass overall. But I am excited to see they are bringing back Castle to help further push the need of this theme onto youngsters. If I would have missed out on Kingdoms, I think this would be a good theme, but since I experienced Kingdoms right when I came out of my DA, I will most certainly pass on these sets.

I am sorry, I will watch my language.

sorry sheepeater, I will not make fun of your nor anyone else his opinion.

Okay, CorneliusMurdock has already handled this so it is finished.

The more I look at these, the more I dislike the "bad guys". I am sure there will be good MOCing parts and I will end up with the whole line eventually, but I just can't help but feel a little disappointed.

I just can't help but feel a little disappointed.

I'm with you Z, the Dragon Knights here are a big disappointment to me after the ones from Kingdoms. The Lion/Crownies here have some promise for mix and match usage though. As far as the builds themselves, I feel that they are a bit remedial compared to what we had with Kingdoms. I totally understand the strategy in the way that LOTR will take the sophisticated castle builders while this fills the void for the younger crowd, but I also can't help but be a little let down with this wave.

The more I look at these, the more I dislike the "bad guys".

Why? I think they have the best heraldry in ages, and not just because I like Targaryens :wink:

That dragon doesn't look like a dragon, the red color is boring, the chainmail doesn't look like chainmail, the basic helmet just doesn't feel right... Basically all of it disappoints me.

That dragon doesn't look like a dragon, the red color is boring, the chainmail doesn't look like chainmail, the basic helmet just doesn't feel right... Basically all of it disappoints me.

Ok, I understand. Well, that about the dragon and the red is very much a matter of taste, but there is no way to put mail halfway decent on a minifig. Single rings usually had a diameter of 6mm in antiquity and the middle ages. Scaling down that on minifig level is simply impossible. Likewise the scales of Lego's scale armor are too large etc. Lego always had a more fantasy approach to armor, which is perfectly fine with me.

The basic helmet disappoints me too. I never liked that one.

And again someone critizises that a creature, that doesn't even exist in reality, doesn't look how it should...

I quite like the helmet, don't think we've had that one since Fantasy Era (apart from the Evil Knight CM).

I'm slowly warming to these sets, but only because its something my young sons will enjoy, I probably won't be collecting any myself. Well, maybe the Castle :)

48493.jpg?0

I quite like the helmet, don't think we've had that one since Fantasy Era (apart from the Evil Knight CM).

I'm slowly warming to these sets, but only because its something my young sons will enjoy, I probably won't be collecting any myself. Well, maybe the Castle :)

48493.jpg?0

I, personally, do not care for this helmet, either, as it is not a traditional, non-fantasy LEGO Castle helmet. Only the bullet helmet; the classic and modern basic space helmets with the oldest two versions of knight visors (the one that came out in 1978 (for the classic basic space helmet) and the one that came out in 1990 (for the modern basic space helmet)); the grill face helmet; the helmet with nose guard and neck protector, and even the wide brimmed helmet that came out in 2000 in Knights Kingdom 1 and the Great Helm from Kingdoms are considered traditional (or tradtional-like), non-fantasy LEGO Castle helmets. However, I am really pleased to see that the Red Dragon Knights also have the helmet with nose guard and neck protector in black :wub:, that probably will not be made in China like the one that came with the old-style Black Falcon foot soldier minifigure from the Bricktober minifigure magnets in 2010, as headgear in some of the Red Dragon Knights foot soldiers! :classic:

And again someone critizises that a creature, that doesn't even exist in reality, doesn't look how it should...

And how cool is that?!

I wonder what Zcerberus does not see as dragonlike. (?) It may be a matter of thin wormish dragons vs. fatter ones. But the traditional lego mold is quite in the middle, isn't it?

I think the shape looks very dragonlike, the colour is much to bright though. I would prefer dark red or earthen tones but obviously this line tries to be as colorful as possible.

And how cool is that?!

I wonder what Zcerberus does not see as dragonlike. (?) It may be a matter of thin wormish dragons vs. fatter ones. But the traditional lego mold is quite in the middle, isn't it?

I think the shape looks very dragonlike, the colour is much to bright though. I would prefer dark red or earthen tones but obviously this line tries to be as colorful as possible.

I think he's talking about the dragon on the bad guy heraldry, not the actual dragon figure. And it is a bit of an understandable position, since the dragon emblem is fairly stylized and not really much like what a dragon would likely look like in real medieval heraldry, nor quite like any physical LEGO dragon. But I personally happen to like both the dragon and lion icons from this new iteration of LEGO Castle, even if they're a bit of a departure from both traditional LEGO heraldry and real-world heraldic icons.

I don't know what it is for me, but I feel slightly disappointed by these sets... none of them have the same feeling to me. I would have quite liked to see the Lion faction with red instead of blue. That would have mixed it up a bit.

The more I see these sets, the more I think Lego took a step backwards with Castle. The Kingdoms line was amazing and really felt like a throwback to the great sets of the 80's and early 90's. These new sets seem to be more in line the Castle sets of the early 2000's. I'll reserve final judgement until I see them in person, but I'm not optimistic.