I was wondering if a crane was a good choice for flagship?

There are plenty of older one sealed for sale at around 115eu. Surely it was not a great seller so. So why do it again?

Looks like in 2013 I will be hunting down for older models. Instead off looking forward to current ones.

There are plenty of older one sealed for sale at around 115eu. Surely it was not a great seller so. So why do it again?

Looks like in 2013 I will be hunting down for older models. Instead off looking forward to current ones.

I couldn't agree more, after all we all have 8421 and how do u improve on this!

I'm more interested in the tow truck anyway.

I like the new crane. I missed out on 8421, so I'm excited to see another great crane. This new crane appears to be even better than the old one. It's larger, has 5 axles, 3 section boom, more motorized functions, and the outriggers look pretty unique.

If the box art is anything to go by, it appears like the crane would have a motorized gearbox with an H style shifter. It looks like the motorized functions include raising/lowering the boom, extending the boom, raising/lowering the hoist, and extending the outriggers (maybe by a drive shaft through the turntable?). The box art doesn't show any arrows to indicate a motorized slew function, so maybe the slew is operated by a crank or just by turning the superstructure by hand.I find the outriggers pretty interesting.

I realize the box art is fuzzy, but it looks like the outriggers slide in/out, then have a separate section on the ends that drops down. It would be great to have the end sections drop down with a motor, but perhaps they have a crank to lower them, like 8258. Looks like a great set!

I also like the service truck. The box art isn't too clear, and I can't figure out what kind of tow equipment the truck has. I think it could have a single boom with a winch like this:

towtruck800x412_zps2599b42f.jpg

Or maybe a dual boom setup like this:

l.jpg

My guess is that this truck has a boom and underlift similar to the first picture. Functions may include pneumatic underlift, pneumatic boom, and motorized stabilizers. The box art doesn't seem to indicate any motorized winch (but there is a winch line in the picture), but that seems like something that should be easy enough to incorporate.

Just my observations from a fuzzy box image. :grin:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

The recovery truck looks something like one of these

IMG_6347.jpg

I was actually planning to build a MOC based on the truck pictured, but never got to it... :blush:

The recovery truck looks something like one of these

IMG_6347.jpg

I was actually planning to build a MOC based on the truck pictured, but never got to it... :blush:

Nice truck :) some think its going to be on the same scale as 9397 but I don't think it will be that big as it will use the smaller wheels from 8052/8109.

Ether way it has pneumatics and twin axle steering so I'm happy :)

I also like new Mobile Crane. It's enormous. But now that we see, what a good set it's going to be, it makes me wonder what the B-model will be.

Anyone dare to speculate?

I was thinking about the new crane truck. It would be logical to have a 6 way split tranmission on the crane cab part itself.

1st function goes through turntable to extened stabilizers

2nd function goes through turntable raises stabilazers

3 rotating upper superstructure

4 raise arm

5 extend arm

6 winch

Is that logical?

Is that logical?

No.

When the command is on the rotating structure, it will never make sense to motorize it.

Once it rotates, how do you stop it ?

edit :

I think outtriggers need only one moves.

So, with a "H" shapped gearbox :

- LA's

- winch

- extend arm

- outriggers

Edited by Anio

The stabilisers look allot like the ones found on the crane truck.

The gearbox seams to be very simpler like the one also found on the crane truck.

I think the 42009 will raise it's outriggers similar to the 8258 crane truck

8258+Outrigger+%233+(RL).jpg

edit: Oops sorry didn't realize someone already said that

Do you think that the 42009 will have more pieces than the unimog?

Edited by Rishab N

I think the 42009 will raise it's outriggers similar to the 8258 crane truck

8258+Outrigger+%233+(RL).jpg

edit: Oops sorry didn't realize someone already said that

Do you think that the 42009 will have more pieces than the unimog?

I hope not , not very realistic

No.

When the command is on the rotating structure, it will never make sense to motorize it.

Once it rotates, how do you stop it ?

edit :

I think outtriggers need only one moves.

So, with a "H" shapped gearbox :

- LA's

- winch

- extend arm

- outriggers

And where is lift function?

And where is lift function?

LA's, you know what it is, right ?

LA's, you know what it is, right ?

I see Okay.

Of course i know what an LA is

But that leaves out rotation.

Edited by Zblj

But that leaves out rotation.

Of course it does.

On the contrary, it would not be convenient at all.

The last mobile crane wasn't that great, compared to 8421. This one might be though. I don't mind it being yet another crane, although a different color would be nice, or a truely gigantic one with 5 x unimog wheels.

The last mobile crane wasn't that great, compared to 8421. This one might be though. I don't mind it being yet another crane, although a different color would be nice, or a truely gigantic one with 5 x unimog wheels.

I wish that would happen but it would be way too expensive :wacko:

...or a truely gigantic one with 5 x unimog wheels.

(Off-topic)

Really gigantic Technic doesn't perform that well in my experience. :classic:

It can be kind of tedious and repetitive to build (subjective argument, probably not more tedious than the Taj Mahal for example).

More objectively:

• Technic beams lacks the strength / rigidity to perform well in large lightweight structures. A lot of bracing is needed, which adds weight.
  • Motors, LAs, pneumatics don't have the strength / throw distance to operate large moving parts.
  • Gears shear teeth or split, and axles twist or snap.

This thing I built has 3 rows of double-braced beams forming the chassis, and the rear deck still curves under its own weight.

If I stick an XL motor to the diffs, it would simply chew gears, even with planetary reduction hubs :sweet:

Big! http://www.flickr.co...57624454166047/

Innards: http://www.flickr.co...157624355110594

Edited by andythenorth

hmmm those new technic sets apeared on lego.com i have to say pricing is not that bad! 42006 is 59.99eu. i am not in to bikes ( 42007) at all, but for 29.99eu i might throw it in when i buy some other technic stuff!

dont like the small sets at all though. i would not even throw them in for ***** and giggles... :look:

btw, whats going to be the story with the winner of 4x4 crawler design? will it be a new set for this year?

I finally got all of the new sets ordered. Looking forward to the bike even though it is simple. I love motorcycles. :wub:

I just seen the material handler on YouTube working and it looks quiet bad ! Anyone have any reviews on this yet?

I just seen the material handler on YouTube working and it looks quiet bad ! Anyone have any reviews on this yet?

Link?