CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

I'm also loving the trans-lightblue weapon accessories the robots are equipped with. This is rather unprecedented! The green robot in particular is decked out with trans-blue weapons, especially that printed shield. The androids might be my favorite part about this theme.

Mine too.

Incidentally, I'm warming up to the alien vehicle in the Bug Obliterator now. The way it's four wings are arranged makes it look a lot cooler than I thought it would be.

Edited by DraikNova

It's a shame about all the stickers but that's to be expected. Those alien and robot figs look even better in the reviews, can't wait to pick some up :wub:

I kind of like the look of the green vehicle, also the android is very similar (At least in its head.) to the Games Workshop Space Marines that I have loads of. I think the green vehicle will probably be my first purchase. But to be honest I am going to have get all the Hobbit sets before these. I like them, but they are not that great. On a personal note and I know it will not be very popular but I think I preferred the Alien Conquest line.

Well, I'm not a Space guy, but these do look very cool. I didn't except those android minifigs- they look fantastic, expecially the orange one.

I'm definitely getting Space Swarmer, such a great impulse set.

And forgive me for my superficiality, but are those purple zamor spheres I see? *oh2*

Yes, those are purple zamors, I think that was mentioned a couple pages back.

And the Space Swarmer isn´t impulse.

Edited by DraikNova

Oh? That's great. I can't wait to see them IRL, they should look marvelous.

By impulseI mean, at least in this case, a cheap set (under, let's say, 15 Euro) that can be easily bought to get started on a theme, not the 3 Euro "minifig+some accessories" sets Lego sold a few years ago.

Well, I'm not a Space guy, but these do look very cool. I didn't except those android minifigs- they look fantastic, expecially the orange one.

I'm definitely getting Space Swarmer, such a great impulse set.

And forgive me for my superficiality, but are those purple zamor spheres I see? *oh2*

I think they may even be transparent- Either way, it's a dream come true.

Seeing as the other blasters are also trans purple, I think the zamor´s are trans too. And yes, it´s awesome.

...apparently I did. If your idea of thematic complexity is horrendously stereotyped Asian mecha (complete with spikey hair and screaming angry faces)... I could recommend you some authors. Also, the set designs were not complex at all, they were skeletal and bare-bones most of the time. Some exceptions here and there, but the bulk of the theme definitely suffered from some action-figure-itis. It wasn't my thing, at any rate.

While the overall structure of the mechs was simple, the real artistry of the Exo-Force theme was in the creative weapon designs, both for battle machines and minifigure weapons. Also, the best of the battle machines were the ones that broke from a typical action figure design, like the Aero Booster, Uplink, Combat Crawler X2, Hybrid Rescue Tank, and all the robot battle machines of 2008.

Also, the "action-figure-itis" was a big reason Lyi and I even took interest in that theme. At that time, BIONICLE was our primary passion, and anything stylistically compatible was a good buy for us.

As for the stereotypical Asian aesthetic, it was certainly a lot better than the Indians in the Western theme.

Back on the subject of Galaxy Squad, I love the colorful, iconic designs, and I can easily envision Galaxy Squad MOCs showing up at conventions for years to come. The diversity within the human faction seems to promote imagination far more than the uniform color schemes of some other recent Space themes. Can't wait to see someone make custom squads in other colors!

I can already see people making black, pink and white squads. For further expansions, I'm hoping the theme itself will provide new colors.

Well, I think it is difficult to build other squads, because of the printed legs and unique squad logos on their chest. Also I miss the air tanks on these astronauts very much. But I like these guys. They are the ideal opposite faction to my neo blacktron MOCs. I would love to troop build the blue and red squad. I'm not sure about the orange squad. I won't buy this set, because I don't like the vehicle design that much and the I'm not a fan of those orange astronauts. I wish they had chosen purple and a regular green, instead of this light green and bright orange. Also I'm not impressed by the orange robot. My favorite one is the sand blue robot, which is in the smallest set. I'm very curious about the design used for the next minifigures wave.

While the overall structure of the mechs was simple, the real artistry of the Exo-Force theme was in the creative weapon designs, both for battle machines and minifigure weapons. Also, the best of the battle machines were the ones that broke from a typical action figure design, like the Aero Booster, Uplink, Combat Crawler X2, Hybrid Rescue Tank, and all the robot battle machines of 2008.

Ludicrously oversized machine guns don't really qualify as "artistry" in my book. :sceptic:

Also, the "action-figure-itis" was a big reason Lyi and I even took interest in that theme. At that time, BIONICLE was our primary passion, and anything stylistically compatible was a good buy for us.

Well, to each his own. There's nothing wrong with action figures, but in Exo-Force's case, it resulted in some pretty bare-bones designs.

As for the stereotypical Asian aesthetic, it was certainly a lot better than the Indians in the Western theme.

I feel like Exo-Force was a little less apologetic. I know Manga does actually look a lot like Exo-Force, but the minifig designs (with spikey green hair straight out of Dragonball Z) seemed incredibly forced to me.

FYI, I actually did like several of the Exo-Force sets, but as a theme I really wasn't much of a fan. Probably because I've been wishing for a Western-style Mech theme for years, and when I heard we were getting something similar, I was beyond excited. Then I realized it wasn't going to be MechWarrior so much as Gundam. :thumbdown: One of the biggest disappointments for me.

On a more positive note, I think the mech included with the Vermin Vaporizer looks BOSS.

I wish they had chosen purple and a regular green, instead of this light green and bright orange. My favorite one is the sand blue robot, which is in the smallest set.

Two things:

1. What light green and bright orange?

​2.The robot is "plain" blue.

Edited by DraikNova

Two things:

1. What light green and bright orange?

​2.The robot is "plain" blue.

If you look at the minifigures in the reviews, you can see they're pale orange/green. The ships themselves don't seem to be, but the figs are (much like ADU).

Aren't those two different groups, one green, one orange?

Edited by DraikNova

OK I have to ask as I cannot find an explanation after reading loads of these pages. What exactly is a zamor? I mean I know it is that trams purple pod thing in some of the sets, but does the term Zamor have some special meaning that I am not getting or is it just a made up word in the back ground story of the Galaxy Squad sets? I tried google and got some results about a French bloke, but I can see it si nothing to do with him./

Zamor spheres were introduced in the 2006 Bionicle line as projectiles.

They're..spheres, they have no connection points but they look quite cool, what with their vibrant colours. Two of the Galaxy Squad sets seem to include tr. purple spheres in the alien vehicles weapons, a color not used before for these pieces.

If you look at the minifigures in the reviews, you can see they're pale orange/green. The ships themselves don't seem to be, but the figs are (much like ADU).

The figs seem to have Bright Green (same color as this year's Garbage Truck set; a beautiful and underappreciated color), Bright Red (classic red), Bright Orange (classic orange), and Dark Azur. Nice spread of colors if you ask me. The ships seem to have the same color schemes-- after all, most of the green parts and blue parts on the ships do exist in the appropriate colors.

These sets look absolutely fantastic. :wub: The new and unique androids included in the sets are really cool! I think I like the orange and red ones best.

I, however am definitely preferring the green and blue human squads. That small mech is great, reminds me of an AMP suit. I know some are disappointed by the lack of Galaxy Patrol armor, but I appreciate all the ADU helmets in new colors. Plus, if this theme sees a second wave maybe we will get heavy or shock trooper humans with the GP armor.

Great point mentioned by Aanchir:

The diversity within the human faction seems to promote imagination far more than the uniform color schemes of some other recent Space themes

I agree completely, that all these different color schemes provide options for custom additions and also remind me a bit of the Classic Space spacemen. :thumbup:

More vaporizer:

LEGO should just retire after making this set. They are not going to do any better than this. Specially with the license excess in the other themes.

Ludicrously oversized machine guns don't really qualify as "artistry" in my book. :sceptic:

Everyone is entitled to a wrong opinion.

Well, to each his own. There's nothing wrong with action figures, but in Exo-Force's case, it resulted in some pretty bare-bones designs.

There were exceptions, you know.

And many cases were very fixable.

Anyway, my robot fig army tells me that exo force theme was worth it.

Edited by vexorian