just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

I just received (as part of my May the 4th be with you order) a "free trial" of Chima, specifically 70113 Chi Battles. Very classy LEGO!

Wait, what? Did I miss something? That seems really cool! Was there a letter or something? :classic:

Yeah, I did too, and yes, there was a flyer included saying "We would like to thank you for shopping at shop.Lego.com with a free trial of the hottest new LEGO theme! We sincerely value you shopping with us and hope this free gift provides hours of LEGO build-and-battle fun! Remember to visit shop.Lego.com for all the newest, most exclusive LEGO products and information!"

It then goes on to briefly describe what Chima is about and how to play with your Speedorz. There's otherwise nothing special on there, but I can provide a scan if you like. It doesn't really say why I got it. Maybe it was only for May the 4th orders or maybe you have to spend a certain amount to get it? Who knows.

Either way, while I'm not a fan of Chima (the TV show is truly awful), it was quite a pleasant surprise to receive this in addition to my free Han Solo fig and Yoda poster. I even received a Mr. Gold sticker as well. Very generous of Lego! :sweet:

With those free CHI Battle sets going around, I have some odd feeling that this theme isn't doing as good as Lego thought...

It could indicate either:

1. LEGO's doing well off of it and wants to promote it further

2. It's selling horribly, LEGO figures it might as well use the leftover sets to try and save it.

3. It's just a promotion, plain and simple. It could even have been part of the original "promotion plan" for this theme.

Someone said it perfectly before, but I really think LEGO will just keep putting money into Chima to make it the "success" it wants it to be. It explains the free samples. :wink:

Not much going on at the moment. We've all gone and gawped at the pics and planned our buying.

So, How 'bout them eagle tribe?

So, How 'bout them eagle tribe?

They be mah homiez.

Anyway, for those of you that lost your chance with it at Walmart, the Razcal's Double Crosser polybag is now available as a Toys R Us promo.

Wolves represent!

I saw the Rascal poly at Walmart and they had a boatload of them. Haven't picked one up, but I probably should for parts and because Chima piqued my interest with this next wave.

Wolves represent!

I saw the Rascal poly at Walmart and they had a boatload of them. Haven't picked one up, but I probably should for parts and because Chima piqued my interest with this next wave.

Cragger Command Ship boatload? Or just a regular boatload?

It could indicate either:

1. LEGO's doing well off of it and wants to promote it further

2. It's selling horribly, LEGO figures it might as well use the leftover sets to try and save it.

3. It's just a promotion, plain and simple. It could even have been part of the original "promotion plan" for this theme.

Don't forget that not every set sells very well. It could be that TLG just had an overstock of that set, And they wanted to get rid of it in a way that would also appeal to people.

I talked to an employee at TRU today and he said that Chima is simply not selling. That is just one store of course, but...

Wow that sucks.

Maybe Lego didn't think this through,but I bet once the tv show starts a full series(like Ninjago)sales will increase,unless the series will be the garbage like the preview episodes were.

The problem I see in shop I am working Kids are preffer to get more Ninjago than something new. But you know, Ninjago is really hard to get nowadays in good price- the prices are growing higher and higher so kids will have to jump on something new.

The problem I see in shop I am working Kids are preffer to get more Ninjago than something new. But you know, Ninjago is really hard to get nowadays in good price- the prices are growing higher and higher so kids will have to jump on something new.

It must be that way in Poland then.

Where I'm located, nearly every store I go to has at least on of every Ninjago set still available (Temple of Light is the typical exception). Most Chima sets just sit there collecting dead skin particles...errr...dust.

These sets, however will never be of the same shelf warmer caliber as the Toy Story Constuct-a-Zurgs.

I talked to an employee at TRU today and he said that Chima is simply not selling. That is just one store of course, but...

Confirmed for here as well. Went to walmart to get a gift, And i'll estimate they had around 40 raven gliders, 35 ultimate speedorz tournaments, and 25 lennox's lion attacks. Also, around 40 speedor sets. None of the spring wave, just an unbearable overstock of everything else.

Down here, Chima isn't doing so well. I really hope that the mid-year toy sales clear them out, otherwise there is going to be NO room for the new wave.

That's not good. :sceptic: I guess kids are still upset about Ninjago (a majority still think it's over :facepalm:)

Oh, and here's a picture of the free Speedorz flyer.

8729291262_c090bb5d6f_c.jpg

If you look, in the bottom right corner, it shows the new Speedorz sets.

-Sci

That's not good. :sceptic: I guess kids are still upset about Ninjago (a majority still think it's over :facepalm:)

-Sci

Conversely, I wonder if Ninjago's extension may have harmed Chima in the long run. If it had truly been ending, perhaps more fans would have jumped ship to Chima. But with one wave of Ninjago left in stores and another due this winter, Chima is far from the only option for fans of zany action themes. Not to say I've seen any conclusive evidence that Chima has been a flop, of course; I can't think of many themes that haven't had that alleged about them due to steep sales or hearsay from store employees at one point or another. I doubt we'll have a good picture of how Chima has truly done overall until much later this year, if not next year.

Here is the CHI LAVAL Ultrabuild

Also more Chima ultrabuilds here:

For the last time, that stuff goes in the action figures topic!

Conversely, I wonder if Ninjago's extension may have harmed Chima in the long run. If it had truly been ending, perhaps more fans would have jumped ship to Chima. But with one wave of Ninjago left in stores and another due this winter, Chima is far from the only option for fans of zany action themes. Not to say I've seen any conclusive evidence that Chima has been a flop, of course; I can't think of many themes that haven't had that alleged about them due to steep sales or hearsay from store employees at one point or another. I doubt we'll have a good picture of how Chima has truly done overall until much later this year, if not next year.

How did the first wave of Ninjago do, when all that was out there was the pilot movie with the skellies?

Just from eyeballing the stores around here, Chima seems to have tried to go too broad. The overall theme seems like a shelf warmer. But some specific sets and some specific characters and speeders seem to do well. As an example around me Eris's fighter seems to sell well and sell out often. the Lion trucks, not so much. Ninjago succeeded in part because of how tight and intuitive the story and characters were to the kids. Very basic, a Sentai team of 5 colored Ninjas vs a single distinct series of foes for each chapter. It was very easy for the kids to become vested in the theme. Chima I fear suffers from too many factions. While it may seem great for the AFOL love of new figures, it's too much and too overwhelming for the target audience. And if a kid does just pick a faction to follow, well there are only 2 regular construction sets per year/ wave, yet there are way too many overall sets for a kid to ever hope to have them all. (As opposed to a 40 year old AFOL). Previous multimedia driven themes like Ninjago, Bionacle and Exo Force kept thing tighter and did well for it. Chima would have thrived more with fewer factions or fewer characters and overall fewer main sets.

I think Galaxy Squad may suffer a bit similarly with it's 4 teams of good guys in clashing colored vehicles. It seems to be trying to combine the concept of the Sentai type teams, with separate factions or squads. And I think it gets a little lost in the process. That theme would have benefited from either a bit more color coherency or a much more limited cast of characters.

For the last time, that stuff goes in the action figures topic!

For the last time indeed, let's have a chat.

I also received multiple Chi battles freebies for my multiple orders. It was very nice of TLG to send them out to garner interest. I had no expectation of getting anything other than what I ordered, but it was a very nice surprise. My daughter loved the ninjago spinners, if only to spin them around, so I wanted to pick up a speedorz set sometime for her. This saved me the money. I have no interest in the other sets though. I found that the speedorz are fun to zoom around, but they don't ramp too well. I'm sure the game was thought out, but I don't get it I guess.

But I would agree on a lot of things that have been said here. It went really broad really quickly, so that didn't help matters. Plus, isn't the tv series just now starting up? I'd expect that hurt sales if people didn't know they should be interested in this theme. I'd assume after the series started airing more that the sets will sell better. Even though aren't there also summer wave sets coming out? How can the shelves justify this much space dedicated to Chima. The stores near me are very similar, in that they are collecting dust for the large range of Chima sets. Basically one side of the aisle is City, the other side is Star Wars, Chima and a small section for Super Heroes and the one largest LOTR and Hobbit sets. Not even Lone Ranger in a lot of stores I've seen. There just isn't shelf space for it.