Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2013 Pictures and Rumors

*oh2* Holy cow! The Rancor is awesome! I'm having flashbacks to the old Kenner toy I played with as a kid. I've just recently come out of my dark ages and have so far avoided Star Wars Legos because I figure once you start...well, if you're on this board you probably know how that ends...

This set along with Jabba's Palace has me seriously thinking about opening the Star Wars door a little bit...just to allow the purchase of these two sets. Only these two. Really.

I for one, am glad and relieved the Rancor isn't a brick-built creature - I've always found them to be a bit too biomechanical looking for my taste. Besides, it matches the rest of the Lego Star Wars Universe much better in this form.

My one concern is how much of a potential eyesore having Jabba's palace stacked on top of this set could be. I mean, if you had some sort of specialty cabinet built with two shelves - one for each level, it could look pretty cool. But for the average person sticking the whole think on top of a shelf or dresser.... :sceptic:

Edited by Mesozoic Mike

That is not an Ewok Base, that is a Kashyyk( spelled wrong) base with Kashyyk troopers and battle droids! If there are battle droid there is no way it is an Ewok Base.

The old rancor...

This set along with Jabba's Palace has me seriously thinking about opening the Star Wars door a little bit...just to allow the purchase of these two sets. Only these two. Really.

Nope, you'll need to get the Desert Skiff too, can't have Jabba's Palace without Lando and Boba :wink:

I think this set looks great, for what it is, I imagine it will be $65 to $70. Which is fair given that there is a bloody Rancor in it. :laugh:

Nope, you'll need to get the Desert Skiff too, can't have Jabba's Palace without Lando and Boba :wink:

I think this set looks great, for what it is, I imagine it will be $65 to $70. Which is fair given that there is a bloody Rancor in it. :laugh:

Yup, I agree about getting the Skiff, Lando and Boba are a must. As for pricing, I'm thinking in between the $50-60 range.

As a standalone set, the Rancor Pit looks underwhelming, but keeping the perspective that this set is specifically designed to go with Jabba's Palace, this won't look bad that much and would justify the rather simple design of the pit. It might be hard to shell out significant bucks to get this set just for the Rancor (which is awesome), but if you look at the bigger picture I believe it's definitely worthy to buy together with Jabba's Palace and possibly other future "add-on sets".

The Rancor Pit reminds me of something:

Why did Luke use a rock to hit the door controls, instead of using the Force? :wacko:

Now that I think about it, I don't remember any uses of Force-push in the OT.

That is not an Ewok Base, that is a Kashyyk( spelled wrong) base with Kashyyk troopers and battle droids! If there are battle droid there is no way it is an Ewok Base.

The old rancor...

Looking at it again, you are right. I would love a set like that though, but instead with Ewoks. Then again, most of the sets appear to be MOCs or from the Lego designers.

Lets just hope the rumors are true, and we do get an Ewok village.

O man. I cant wait to see the review to this set. I want to know all the details. On first impressions the walls look too mottled with different colours and the whole build looks plain.

What I do like are the minifigs, Malakili looks marvellous the Rancor is superb. I cant wait to see the Rancor in full detail, how far does his mouth open? How deep is his throat? I also love the addition of the key, bucket and fork (I wouldn't want to clean up after a Rancor done a number 2 :sick: ), skeletal remains and Luke's big bone. :thumbup:

I could really see my actually playing with this set once joined on to the palace. I just want to feed the Rancor, NOM, NOM, NOM.

My only complaint is the empty center. :sceptic:

This got me thinking as well. Why is there a empty centre?

Why did Luke use a rock to hit the door controls, instead of using the Force? :wacko:

Now that I think about it, I don't remember any uses of Force-push in the OT.

That's what's so cool about Luke - he's not a totally awesome, not human character, which makes him relate-able and sympathetic. He might know how to use the Force mostly, but it's not the first thing that comes to mind, and he doesn't use it for petty things. You could say it's just because they didn't have the technology to do more special effects, but I think the other explanation is better. In the PT and CW, on the other hand, every single Jedi uses the Force for everything, all the time, and it gets really dumb. All of the characters are far too awesome to be real.

Oh my gosh...I am speechless.All I have to say is WOW!I thought the Rancor was going to be Heroes Factory style but this is amazing!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'd love to have the Rancor shown side-to-side with the Lord of the Rings cave troll, just to see who is taller.

I think it's a bit disappointing to see a big molded creature after almost a decade of seeing great brick-built MOCs like this one for instance

rancor.jpg

Edited by SheepEater

I really didn't expect pictures so soon.

What a fabulous sculpt I for one can't wait...

It looks like the Techo Union rocket ship from the end of AOTC. I can see that one being released as some store exclusive with a couple non-CW Jedi, but I think the Naboo ship will remain shelved.

Awwww! But come on! It would be guaranteed to come with an ugly CW Padme minifig AND a JarJar, plus a bunch of battle droids. What more could you want? (better yet , probably the ugly CW Padme head on/in a CMF Hazmat guy suit. Which seems oddly appropriate now that I come to think on it.)

Two words.....AWESOME RANCOR ! :excited:

Well I be buying it for my son since his getting Jabba's Palace....perfect addition, but it doesn't look like it can join underneath the palace though ? :look:

Anyway, it's AWESOME....yeah, I'll say it again ! :laugh:

I wonder what else is coming ? :look:

Nice work Lego!!! My one problem with this pic is the white bricks; easy fix tho. Hope there is another set to rest the tower on, and I hope it's the droid dungeon. articulated hands are awesome too!!!

It almost looks like the bum section of the rancor is detachable in some way. I'm thinking it's to get the Guard out of the entirely hollow stomach

Wow! :wub:

Impressive, most impressive! Especially the rancor! And we did end up getting Malakili :laugh:

For my Lego budget, I will probably end up just bricklinking the Rancor.

Good build, though!

I really like it, and great that we see the final set already; I had absolutely not expected that!

Small gripe: no studs on the top of the animal. In the Star Wars EU it occurs from time to time that people ride Rancors as they would on Tauntauns, Kaadu etc.:

jpeg

But apart from that: I love it :classic:

Next up: LEGO Bantha's!

As anticipated Rancor set has been announced, rather surprised how early, he looks great quite detailed, now everyone going to need the palace :wub::tongue:

I like the set, not that I'm in the OT (more of an PT guy). The rancor looks great but I wonder if it's suffering from that hollow arm/leg syndrome, since we can't get a clear view of those parts

Edited by Brickviller

The rancor sets looks pretty promising.

The rancor seems to have more play features than the cave troll from set 9473: movable fingers, and, concluding from the pictures, turnable wrists and a moveable jaw. I wonder if the set is modular, that means if 9516 can be placed on top of it.

It was great step from Lego to announce (and present) the image of Rancor pit so soon (even before Jabba's Palace comes to some countries) - now seeing this new set, I changed my previous decision not to buy Jabba's Palace set and I will definitely buy it now. And I think more people will decide based on the modularity of the sets.

The rancor set looks great. Just as suspected when the pics of the bottom of the palace were shown with the four square holes on the underside. The palace will sit atop the rancor pit and allow for figs to drop into it. Also, Luke uses a skull to hit the button for the rancor door to fall, which is included in this set. I can picture all kinds of mocs growing from both sets in the future.

I have a feeling the set will be slightly higher than the wampa cave.

Edited by ETAV8R

Nice. I didn't like Jabba's Palace too much by itself. Now I'm starting to finally like the set.

The Rancor Pit will be a great addition, and I'm very curious what further modules TLG will give us in the future.

I guess many people who started building a Rancor Pit for that "Jabba's Palace Building Contest" are going to be quite frustrated when finding out that it's already been announced.

Anyway, the Rancor looks very cool and I really like the "Rancor Trainer" minifig (don't know what his name is). The set itself doesn't seem as if it contained a lot of pieces, so I guess it'll be somewhere in the 50$/€ price range. If so, it's a sure buy for me!