For those who want to see a video of it driving, Technicbricks.blogspot.com made a livestream of one of their authors building this new set. Towards the end of the fourth video, there's footage of him driving it on the desk. It appears to be quite playable and looks nice to boot!

Not the same rods. The rods in 8070, 8145, and 8110 are black, but they all have stops on one side. They are not the same as these. I just went out to my shelf and checked.

I mentioned that one (and linked to it) in my review.

I'll do some tests and post some pictures with the power puller wheels on later tonight.

My 8110 came with stopless links.

Thank you for a great review. The suspension could be a bit lower and I agree with you that the chassis could be in a different colour, but I still like the design of the top a lot.

Thank you for great review of great set!:)

@ Blakbird: Thanks for the review. Excellent work as always :thumbup:

And like some others said before me: "Thanks" for putting this on my "got-to-have" list...... :angry:

Just seen the first video on YouTube and its not showing the outside of the crawler the camera is inside ,very frustrating that there's no proper videos up yet :(

could you please share the link?

I believe he's whining about

. I wish people would have some patience and be grateful for what people have already shown us. It's just a 'frickin Lego set.

. I wish people would have some patience and be grateful for what people have already shown us. It's just a 'frickin Lego set.

I agree. Patience. Something that's in short supply now-a-days.

thanks for sharing. monday or tuesday i should get my crawler. then we will definetly get a adequate vid

I'm no whining but thanks got ur input and if its just a frickin Lego set why are u on here???

thanks for sharing. monday or tuesday i should get my crawler. then we will definetly get a adequate vid

Thanks efferman look forward to it :)

Is it true that the wheels have some bracing inside them?

Is it true that the wheels have some bracing inside them?

I believe someone earlier in the thread said that the wheels are no different. They are exactly the same as previously released tires.

tim

I believe someone earlier in the thread said that the wheels are no different. They are exactly the same as previously released tires.

Yes, the wheels and tires are exactly the same as before.

For those who wanted to know what this thing looks like with the Power Puller wheels and tires, here you go. It looks a bit more like a monster truck than a rock crawler at this point, but I like it.

dsc_4919small.jpgdsc_4921small.jpg

As for how it performs: great! I didn't notice and degradation in performance, and in fact it might even work a little better with these.

For those who wanted to know what this thing looks like with the Power Puller wheels and tires, here you go. It looks a bit more like a monster truck than a rock crawler at this point, but I like it.

As for how it performs: great! I didn't notice and degradation in performance, and in fact it might even work a little better with these.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. So the tires are not too heavy for the drive train? Is the turning radius different with these tires?

tim

Thanks Blakbird! That's surprising, welcome news. Not that I plan on permanently ditching the 94.8's, but I love the option and it says a lot about the torque (I assume at least, with the exponential weight increase).

As IF I needed another reason to buy the 9398!

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. So the tires are not too heavy for the drive train? Is the turning radius different with these tires?

tim

I assume the turning radius will be the same with the Power Puller tires, thanks to the 4 wheel steering and particularly the small steering lock that Blakbird mentioned at the end of his review.

Thanks that's great news, I'm glad I bought power puller tires now :) there very expensive but I got 8466 at a good price :)

yeah, it looks much better with powerpuller tires. and i think we should left behind the name "rock crawler". lego calls em 4x4 off roader and i think it fits better

4x4 offraoder

offroad347.jpg

rock crawler

GMade-R1-Rock-Crawler-2.jpg

do you think this track is tough enough for the test vid?

7471739152_b6a3449fbe.jpg

7471738900_5fe5e5543a.jpg

101_9390 von efferman auf Flickr

Edited by efferman

Since Blakbird said that the Power Puller wheels/tires perform well on the 9398 4x4 Crawler, I would expect that the turning radius would not be that much worse than with the (standard) wheels/tires that came with the set. The 9398's tires are the 54120 "Tire 94.8 x 44 R Balloon":

54120.jpg

From Barman/ Barman76's Flickr photoset, one can see how the Portal Axle piece fits deep into the various wheels. The 9398's standard wheel/tire combination is the second picture from the left:

5834077742_19bb24c72a_z.jpg

Edited by DLuders