Hey Joe

The 'Golden Age' of Lego, is it now?

We live in the 3rd golden age of LEGO, definitely.

The first began 1979 with the release of what we know today as "Classic Space".

The 2nd was brought to us in 1999, courtesy of Lucasfilm LTD :vader:

After mastering the 2004 crisis, LEGO is now in the 3rd golden age. Sure, we can debate about nostalgia, taste and uncalled-for hate towards certain play themes, but one simply cannot argue with double-digit growth rates year after year. All those sets are being bought, many more than ever before, and by many more people than ever before.

Golden. Definitely golden. Or even platin?

I, although I am biased, would say 1978-1995 and 2009-....As many have noted LEGO is in a new golden age now, and lets hope it lasts for years to come.

I would say that LEGO's glory days started with its first forays into multimedia and story-driven themes, starting with Rock Raiders and continuing till now and probably beyond. So from 1999 to now. This is LEGO's Diamond Age.

Edited by DraikNova

I also agree that late 70's is the start of the golden age. Classic space, classic castle, etc they were simple yet fun.

But I need to ask, do we really use the term 'second golden age'? Why not silver age? For me the silver age started when LEGO got the license for SW sets

I also agree that late 70's is the start of the golden age. Classic space, classic castle, etc they were simple yet fun.

But I need to ask, do we really use the term 'second golden age'? Why not silver age? For me the silver age started when LEGO got the license for SW sets

Perhaps because silver is less valuable than gold.

I'd say Lego is in its third Golden Age, that's for sure. Or maybe a diamond or platinum one. As nostalgic as I am, I do believe the sets we get today are far better -- both in design and quality -- than the ones from my adolescence in the 90's.

Perhaps because silver is less valuable than gold.

I'd say Lego is in its third Golden Age, that's for sure. Or maybe a diamond or platinum one. As nostalgic as I am, I do believe the sets we get today are far better -- both in design and quality -- than the ones from my adolescence in the 90's.

You don't hear of comic books having second golden age or third golden age. It's why I was wondering if second golden age is proper or if silver age is better term for second coming of good LEGO stuff.

Although I agree that many good sets have come out of the 2009 on to present, I feel Lego could be entering a new "Golden Age" by adding Cuusoo. I feel that the introduction of that was wonderful because it gives the public a chance to give ideas.Who hasn't wanted that? So I feel that. Anew golden age could be approaching where there is more influence by the fans

In my opinion, yes, this is a golden age for Lego. Modern sets show some great building techniques employing SNOT etc for detailing. Modular buildings have amazing details and bring pieces that expand the system rather than large unique pieces - eg new windows.

The creator line has had some fantastic sets in recent years

Sets like

- shuttle adventure/expedition

- VW Camper

- maersk train

- emerald night

- sopwith Camel

- tower bridge

- the entire modular building range

- Star Wars Imperial shuttle

Are all modern classics IMO.

In a word: yes. I think the quality of products coming out of TLG are as high as they have ever been. They've very effectively turned themselves out of the doldrums they were in 10-15 years ago and are at the top of their game.

/ben

IMHO (and very biased one at that...) the first golden age of LEGO was 1960-66... when the first Town Plan system came out. There were MANY hours of creative playtime here, a lot of beautiful specialty pieces, and it didn't take that long to build... so you had less build time, and more play time!!

5541045260_71aca96ca2_b.jpg

Since old parts are still accessible it is better year by year as more sets and more parts get released, which make lego less and less limited.

One problem in having thousands of parts in so many colors is that TLG has lost their focus on "Systems"... you find that some windows are only available in some colors, other slopes are not available in all the different versions you need to put together a structure... etc...

What used to be simple building of bricks on top of each other, has now developed into using SNOT techniques, jumper plates and other "gimmicks" just in order to complete a satisfactory looking structure.

So more parts and more colors are not always a good thing when they don't complement each other! default_sceptic.gif

As a Technic fan, I would say that yes, there is a golden age at the moment.

the past four years have all seen fantastic flagship models, 8258 crane truck, which currently holds the record for most gears, and was fairly complex, 8043 motorized excavator, possibly the most complex technic model yet with the gearbox required to operate 6 functions from 4 inputs, then 8110 Unimog, with orange, big wheels, pneumatics, and realistic suspension system, and this year, not as technically advanced as the others, but still impressive nonetheless, a working remote controlled crawler that lots of people thought wouldn't be possible as an official set.

I think the Power Functions system also counts as a great advance for Technic, along with the linear actuators and many new useful parts.

I sure can't wait until next year! If they come out with the ultimate Technic supercar, then that will just confirm it!

One problem in having thousands of parts in so many colors is that TLG has lost their focus on "Systems"... you find that some windows are only available in some colors, other slopes are not available in all the different versions you need to put together a structure... etc...

What used to be simple building of bricks on top of each other, has now developed into using SNOT techniques, jumper plates and other "gimmicks" just in order to complete a satisfactory looking structure.

So more parts and more colors are not always a good thing when they don't complement each other! default_sceptic.gif

You're the first AFOL I've met who thought of complex techniques like SNOT and jumper plates as "gimmicks". Personally, I feel they're ideal for making a detailed model. SNOTwork is amazing for making detailed surfaces which face in any direction, and jumper plates are essential when building at a small scale (either with high-detail structures at a normal minifig scale, or almost any sort of "microscale" structure).

I feel it's been a long time since all parts came in all colors. You'd probably have to go back to when LEGO consisted only of basic bricks in primary colors! As soon as LEGO began to diversify, parts began to show up in rarer colors. A good example of this is the original dark grey, which until the late '90s was primarily used only for minifig accessories and mountain pieces! The "LEGO System" never meant that all colors would be represented by a full range of parts; rather, it meant that all LEGO parts would be compatible with other parts in one way or another, and that still rings true today. And in fact I'd argue that the color selection of parts has improved greatly since the early noughts, when there were far too many colors represented by far too few parts each. Some of the worst offenders would be Belville or Scala colors, which were rarely used in other sets whatsoever; my main exposure to some of these colors would be early Harry Potter sets, some of which included parts I have yet to match to other parts in my collection.

You're the first AFOL I've met who thought of complex techniques like SNOT and jumper plates as "gimmicks". Personally, I feel they're ideal for making a detailed model. SNOTwork is amazing for making detailed surfaces which face in any direction, and jumper plates are essential when building at a small scale (either with high-detail structures at a normal minifig scale, or almost any sort of "microscale" structure).

I feel it's been a long time since all parts came in all colors. You'd probably have to go back to when LEGO consisted only of basic bricks in primary colors! As soon as LEGO began to diversify, parts began to show up in rarer colors. A good example of this is the original dark grey, which until the late '90s was primarily used only for minifig accessories and mountain pieces! The "LEGO System" never meant that all colors would be represented by a full range of parts; rather, it meant that all LEGO parts would be compatible with other parts in one way or another, and that still rings true today. And in fact I'd argue that the color selection of parts has improved greatly since the early noughts, when there were far too many colors represented by far too few parts each. Some of the worst offenders would be Belville or Scala colors, which were rarely used in other sets whatsoever; my main exposure to some of these colors would be early Harry Potter sets, some of which included parts I have yet to match to other parts in my collection.

In addition to your many excellent points, the number of Lego parts has been drastically reduced in the last 8 years. This article is fairly old, but underscores the vast reduction that took place in 2005: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1234465/When-Lego-lost-head--toy-story-got-happy-ending.html (Besides staff, Lego reduced by half the number of Lego components. While once there were nearly 7,000, they're now down to around 3,000.)

I've seen quite a few articles like this over the past few years.

Edited by Edmond Dantes

<snip>

Perhaps I was a little harsh... I probably shouldn't have said SNOT an jumpers were "gimmicks"... but just that LEGO sets have become excessive in their use (not the jumpers, but definitely the SNOT)....

When I saw the new (2008) 10184 Town Plan set... I thought... wow nice... but then I looked at the OCTAN gas station and saw that they were using the 6x6x9 trans-clear panel for the curved window as a SNOT.

I've always been critical of the LEGO window "system"... which until 1986... there really was one. (9 window types that were interchangeable and compatible). The original "LEGO System of Play" of 1955... meant that the "system" was having a common group of parts that complemented and enhanced the buildability of LEGO structures. TLG came out with the 12 different (13 actually but one was redundant) sloped bricks in the late 1950s... and also the 9 different windows in 1956. With these you could make roofs of all types (hip and multi-gabled), as well as use the different classic windows together either all of one type or in combinations, for everything from house windows, store windows, office building windows, even cathedral windows...

But as the number of LEGO parts increased, this interchangeability had decreased. I agree that it's for the best that TLG is reducing the number of parts... but sometimes you wonder "what were they thinking" when they replace the standard 2x2 macaroni brick (that you used to be able to stagger), to one now that can only be stacked on top of each other... thus reducing the possibilities. In my 40+ years of collecting... I never had a problem with the old macaroni's....

But I digress... the major complaint I have is that with the window system... you mix the new 1x2x2 and 1x2x3 flat front windows with the back of headlight bricks... I've just been spoiled with using real windows all along!

Although SNOT has been around (in very few instances) in some LEGO idea book models... it really wasn't until about a dozen years ago that they really took off as being part of regular LEGO models. Granted SNOT was around in LEGOLAND Miniland models back to the beginning in 1968.

I was "giddy as a schoolgirl on prom night" when I first saw the new 3x3 convex corner low sloped brick come out in the Architectural series Robie House... but now wonder how long it will take for that part to come out in other colors. I realize that more will come... but probably not in a lot of colors... and that's what I mean by a lack of "system"... it would be great to get those out in red, blue, black and gray ASAP. Maybe in my middle age I'm getting impatient...

I remember back when the first 2x2 45 degree sloped brick in trans-clear came out about 30 years ago... I thought to myself.... "great... now when the outside corner slopes come out I can make a "glass pyramid or skylight"... and be satisfied with a 2x2 trans-clear tile for the peak. Well 30 years later I'm still waiting for that part.... default_hmpf.gif

I remember the first time I saw the jumper used... back in a 1980s traveling Kmart store LEGO display model. For a low sloped roof, they didn't have 2x2 and 2x4 peaks in yellow back then... so they used yellow 1x2 jumper plates with 1x2 yellow tiles along the top to simulate a peak. That was my first view of the jumpers used like that. Later I too used them in one or two buildings... but not excessively... although whatever looks best is the litmus test for those parts.

Here is an example of a building I built back circa 1993... before Bricklink and online LEGO auctions... it was my red Gothic Cathedral... red because it was the only color back then that I could get enough arches and other specialty parts that would create what I wanted to build. In this building... I use only 1 SNOT technique... the stained glass window over the entrance. Gothic window tracery is very conducive to SNOT.

I guess my biggest beef about SNOT and jumpers, is when they're used because TLG never made that part in that color or as part of that system... more than for their use as a way to improve your MOCs.

legocathedral3.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

As far as trains theme go's I felt like the 80's and 12v was the Golden Age.

Personally I believe the first golden age of Lego started around the end of the 70s- '77, '79- with the introduction of things like Technic sets/elements and the minifigure, and continued until 1990. A silver age followed that lasted until about 1996. There was a period where set design for some lines (think Town Junior, Fright Knights, or Freestyle) took a tumble, although the company was still fine on the whole. Some lines (Adventurers and the original Star Wars are my preferred examples) kept Lego to its high standards, but after 1999 the company 'fell from grace' in a lot of ways- sets, technique useage, part design, focus were all over the place and of course financial troubles plagued them as well.

It took until about 2006-2007 for TLG to really start getting back on track, and Lego has only gone uphill ever since. :classic:

Yes, with all the license themes LEGO has became rather trendy nowadays. Loads of people have a Death-Star or Hogwarts on display. Also, LEGO has increasingly been shown more in the media, such as magazines, newspapers and TV.

8043 technic = best technic set ever

defn golden age thier

also I think technic get the most part types per genre of lego yay technic

I'm surprised that so many people actually think of 2000s as the Golden Age. Have to argue. There'are two things you have to look at when discussing this question - sales and quality.

I don't know the numbers - it's possible that all this novadays Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indy Jones etc franchise mania gives Lego the biggest income ever - so then they could consider this as their Golden Age - as you usually think of Golden Age from the angle of money making=fame=power.

And I'm not sure if people are buying those franchises more for Indy and Star Wars than for Lego itself.

On the other hand I think novadays Lego is not as popular as it used to be in the 80s and early 90s... Lego is not every child's favorite toy anymore... as there is a big impact of computers and stuff...

Those boxes were in every shop 15 of 20 years ago!... Now it's even hard to find a decent toy store.

Of course novadays there is a also a massive Fandom that spends much much more than any other kid during a year on Legos... it's obvious that TLG coudn't have such a support 20 years ago... yet, I don't think they make that much money thanks to Fandom

But if you look at the Golden Age issue from the angle of quality, creativity, atractiveness, then you definitely have to think of the 80s and early 90s as the Golden Age.

You just can't neglect that those sets were much better those days. Simplicity and playbility were the major reason of it's fame and giant succes.

Novadays Lego fails to resemble it now as it went way too far the way Playmobil is. :sceptic:

...and saving time or money on everything by TLG is obvious now... + unnecessary showiness.

I could compare it to G.I.Joes situation after 1989-91. Lego jumped the shark years ago and only thing that is saving them is it's name and those franchises...

Edited by Mazin

I'm surprised that so many people actually think of 2000s as the Golden Age. Have to argue. There'are two things you have to look at when discussing this question - sales and quality.

I don't know the numbers - it's possible that all this novadays Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indy Jones etc franchise mania gives Lego the biggest income ever - so then they could consider this as their Golden Age - as you usually think of Golden Age from the angle of money making=fame=power.

And I'm not sure if people are buying those franchises more for Indy and Star Wars than for Lego itself.

On the other hand I think novadays Lego is not as popular as it used to be in the 80s and early 90s... Lego is not every child's favorite toy anymore... as there is a big impact of computers and stuff...

Those boxes were in every shop 15 of 20 years ago!... Now it's even hard to find a decent toy store.

Of course novadays there is a also a massive Fandom that spends much much more than any other kid during a year on Legos... it's obvious that TLG coudn't have such a support 20 years ago... yet, I don't think they make that much money thanks to Fandom

But if you look at the Golden Age issue from the angle of quality, creativity, atractiveness, then you definitely have to think of the 80s and early 90s as the Golden Age.

You just can't neglect that those sets were much better those days. Simplicity and playbility were the major reason of it's fame and giant succes.

Novadays Lego fails to resemble it now as it went way too far the way Playmobil is. :sceptic:

...and saving time or money on everything by TLG is obvious now... + unnecessary showiness.

I could compare it to G.I.Joes situation after 1989-91. Lego jumped the shark years ago and only thing that is saving them is it's name and those franchises...

I definitely don't think of the 2000s in general as a golden age. While the early naughts had some creative themes (BIONICLE is a big part of why I didn't have a "dark age"), LEGO designs were still reeling from the 90s. These days, I think TLG has grown stronger in that it has diversified. There are dedicated AFOL sets, something that would have been unimaginable in the 80s and 90s. TLG has even kept some of its better adaptations from the 90s and early naughts, like its imaginative story-driven themes and striking character designs, while incorporating advanced building techniques and creative part use even into primarily kid-oriented themes like Ninjago. Back in the 90s I loved the brick-built skulls of the Pirates theme, but those were downright simple compared to the brilliant brick-built animal motifs of Ninjago and Chima vehicle sets.

Simplicity can make a brand memorable but it also makes it easy for imitators to leech off its success. Complexity makes a brand unique and distinctive. Hence, the tendency towards themes with invented stories which began in the 80s. Any company can make a theme based on archetypes, but names and motifs like those of Space Police, Spyrius, BIONICLE, and Ninjago change TLG's role with its competitors. Instead of just using a template anyone can follow, it becomes a trend-setter that strikes the market with a new and unexpected idea, and then follows up with something even newer and more innovative while their competitors are still struggling to find out the best way to react.

Yeah I agree completely that Lego diversified during these years. Can't deny that they've invented a lot of fine new stuff too.

And I have to admit that they did a superb job turning popular movie mediums into these small simple toys, yet very detailed and convincing toys!... even though I personally don't like that idea :wink:

But do you think that they actually grew stronger in recognition and sales? I know that they had some ups and downs recently... But my question is: are they making more money now comparing with 80s/early 90s Lego rage?

As I said before - Legos are not available in as many places as they were before... yet TLG can spend tons of money on licensing dozens of franchises... and they produce much more than before - judging after my observation :sweet:

Edited by Mazin

You don't exactly need stores to carry a product anymore to be successful. Thanks to computers/Internet. The fact that less stores may carry LEGO is a bit of a moot point. Plus, they didn't have LEGO brand stores in the 80/90's.

I didn't say that they HAD brand stores and I realize that internet shopping is very popular these days...

yet... it's something really bothering that it's hard to find Legos in stationary stores when you can easily buy games and movies there, movies and games which are usually targeted and bought by teenagers and adults for themselves... and who can buy these products easily and cheaply using internet... thinking of parents bying Lego FOR THEIR KIDS I don't really envision most of them using internet to do that... some of them but not most...

Internet is powerfull... but it isn't the explanation for Lego's disappearance from stores...