wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

lol how does the gandalf set retail for AUD24.99 with 2 figs and a crummy lil cart, i am comparing this to battle packs that normally retail for this price but apparently they are going up for the 2012 sets, really...

It's about the same price as The Captain's Cabin (http://www.mrtoys.com.au/details.asp?ItemID=4030) at the same store which is US$11.99 and I think they're comparable sets. 3 figures and some tat vs two figures a horse and some tat. You only need to look at prices for existing sets to see a massive price difference when comparing Australian to US dollars. Harry Potter: Forbidden Forest is $20+ there and only $11.99 in the US as well. I predicted Gandalf Arrives would be in this price band (or the 2012 equivilent) in the US and based on those prices that prediction still holds.

Likewise PoTC Cannibal Escape is AUS$60 on that site and $30 in the US. There's an absolutely massive difference beyond currency conversion.

And I thought we had it bad in the UK!

Edited by Ash

I've never really understood how TLG can charge so much in other countries for their product. However, they simply cannot raise prices very much in the US right now. The economy is not that great and LEGO is already percieved as an expensive product here in the US. IF prices were to go up much more TLG could price themselves out of the toy market. LEGO has to compete not only with building toys but all other childrens toys as well. I imagine the price structure will not change much for these new LOTR sets. They will be similar to the Star Wars sets. Marked up about 10 - 15% compared to general themed LEGO sets.

Edited by DaleDVM

I've never really understood how TLG can charge so much in other countries for their product. However, they simply cannot raise prices very much in the US right now. The economy is not that great and LEGO is already percieved as an expensive product here in the US.

In Europe LEGO is also perceived as an expensive product. I don't understand that prices have risen so much either. It can be the inflation, but it's a reason I never buy from big toy stores and buy online from small shops who offer much cheaper LEGO.

IF prices were to go up much more TLG could price themselves out of the toy market. LEGO has to compete not only with building toys but all other childrens toys as well. I imagine the price structure will not change much for these new LOTR sets. They will be similar to the Star Wars sets. Marked up about 10 - 15% compared to general themed LEGO sets.

I consider themes like Star Wars (and probably LotR) more for teenagers and adult fans because of the pricing, even though It's not TLG's main market. It's hard to imagine that childeren can afford €120 sets from their allowance. Also sets these days seem to only hold for one to two years before they disappear from the shelves. I can remember a time when sets took three years before they got forever out of stock.

Man, I'm absolutely stoked Lego is doing LOTR... I had always thought it was a write-off, But no! :cry_happy:

Looking forward to seeing final sets.. I'm sure they can't help but have brilliant parts. I just hope they manage to keep at least some sets based at AFOL's. <insert that tiresome argument>/pathetic LOTR sets would make me cry :tongue:

Very exciting :sweet:

Edited by Legoman

Okay, you guys can stone me for this... But believe it or not, I just saw LOTR. :tongue: And it was amazing. I don't know how I missed out on all this. I'm extremely stoked for this new theme, the possibilities are almost endless!

Okay, you guys can stone me for this... But believe it or not, I just saw LOTR. :tongue: And it was amazing. I don't know how I missed out on all this. I'm extremely stoked for this new theme, the possibilities are almost endless!

on the contrary, Welcome to the party! :grin:

How d'ya like Treebeard?

Pardon me if this has already been brought to attention, but you all realize that the prizes on that site are steeplymarked up compared to what they will actually be sold for in most places? That website charges a significant bit more for sets, similarly to TRU, and as such, any prices shown there should not be worried about. :classic:

Pardon me if this has already been brought to attention, but you all realize that the prizes on that site are steeplymarked up compared to what they will actually be sold for in most places? That website charges a significant bit more for sets, similarly to TRU, and as such, any prices shown there should not be worried about. :classic:

They are the Toyworld prices, which are pretty much the standard price here. Larger retailers will mark prices down temporarily for sales, or offer slightly cheaper long term prices but unfortunately in Australia the list price is the price we get. And at these prices, I'm not so excited. I will be giving the Gandalf set a miss. He will appear again later.

After seeing the Aussie prices I think I might move to America :cry_sad:

Those prices are horrendous!!!

Come on Lego, what the hell?!

Hey, stockpiling LEGO is how we'll survive economic collapse! It's like silver bars! :laugh:

I'm probably not one to talk, but even in America, these prices are rather questionable. Gandalf's Cart is like the Kingdoms Prison Carriage...minus an extra figure. :sadnew:

I know, I just need to decide what's gonna jump so high in value after it's out of production that I can trade it for stupid glorious batman sets :wink:

Oder it off bricklink, have the seller mark it as a gift or at a price lower than the "import tax" treshold.

Ask before placing order if the seller is willing ofcourse.

I remember the first price indications for PotC being as high as these rumors. The QAR being € 149,- in the rumors, ending up being € 119,99 and me paying € 99,99 at the end. So I really don't rely much on this pricing yet.

Surely it will be a bit more expensive than the castle sets, but still reasonable.

A Hungarian retailer already has the sets listed with some additional information, including piece counts, box sizes and prices (in HUF). I tried to make an estimate on the prices in USD based on the price of other sets in this shop (like PotC). I'm pretty sure they're not far off.

Gandalf Arrives

Set number: 9469

Ages: 8-14

Piece count: 83

Box size: 19,1 cm × 14,1 cm × 4,6 cm

Price: 3 735 HUF (approx. $15)

Shelob Attacks

Set number: 9470

Piece count: 227

Box size: 26,2 cm × 19,1 cm × 6,1 cm

Price: 6 930 HUF (approx. $25, maybe $27)

Uruk Hai Army

Set number: 9471

Piece count: 257

Box Size: 28,2 cm × 26,2 cm × 6,4 cm

Price: 10 425 HUF (approx. $40)

Attack on Weathertop

Set number: 9472

Piece count: 430

Box size: 48 cm × 28,2 cm × 6,1 cm

Price: 15 825 HUF (approx. $60)

Mines of Moria

Set number: 9473

Ages: 9-14

Piece count: 776

Box size: 48 cm × 37,8 cm × 7,05 cm

Price: 21 150 HUF (approx. $80 in USD)

Battle of Helm's Deep

Set number: 9474

Ages: 10-14

Piece count: 1368

Box size: 58,2 cm × 37,8 cm × 8,7 cm

Price: 38 085 HUF (approx. $140, maybe $150)

I'm surprised by the high piece counts on some of the sets, if they are accurate. They really don't look that big on the blurry pictures. Especially the two largest sets.

I'm surprised by the high piece counts on some of the sets, if they are accurate. They really don't look that big on the blurry pictures. Especially the two largest sets.

Remember those images are not final, just an indicator for the retailer to see roughly what the set might look like. :wink:

A Hungarian retailer already has the sets listed with some additional information, including piece counts, box sizes and prices (in HUF). I tried to make an estimate on the prices in USD based on the price of other sets in this shop (like PotC). I'm pretty sure they're not far off.

Gandalf Arrives

Shelob Attacks

Uruk Hai Army

Attack on Weathertop

Mines of Moria

Battle of Helm's Deep

I'm really surprised weathertop has 430 pieces. It looked so small on the box art. Does anyone know the prices in pounds?

Edited by Saruman the White

I agree, Weathertop and the mines of moria looked far smaller. I guess that means we are in for a nice surprise when we see the final images!

I'm a little worried about the cost of these sets too, but I'm trying to be patient to get official word of what they'll be. But as with all licenses, they will be more expensive. I just hope the design and types of pieces are worth the cost.

I apologize if this has been talked about before, but does it look like there's a new horse mold in one of the prelim pictures? It shows a horse on it's hind legs, kicking up the front legs. The front legs are right below the horse's head. I saw it on set # 9471 Uruk-hai Army. But it looks kinda like its animated so I wasn't sure. What do other people think of this?

I'm a little worried about the cost of these sets too, but I'm trying to be patient to get official word of what they'll be. But as with all licenses, they will be more expensive. I just hope the design and types of pieces are worth the cost.

I apologize if this has been talked about before, but does it look like there's a new horse mold in one of the prelim pictures? It shows a horse on it's hind legs, kicking up the front legs. The front legs are right below the horse's head. I saw it on set # 9471 Uruk-hai Army. But it looks kinda like its animated so I wasn't sure. What do other people think of this?

Most seem to think it's a new horse mold. It's also seems to be in Helm's deep and Weathertop I think. But I would rather it not be in the uruk army set; I dont want more than one or two overall.

With a piece count like that, I hope Helm's deep has a really detailed interior. I'm also hoping for a staircase behind the wall for Legolas to slide down on a shield! That's my favourite scene. :sweet:

With a piece count like that, I hope Helm's deep has a really detailed interior. I'm also hoping for a staircase behind the wall for Legolas to slide down on a shield! That's my favourite scene. :sweet:

I'm hoping for a secret door at the far right of helms deep beside the entrance. Aragon and Gimli use it to sneak out and attack the uruk-hai breaking into the castle.

Gandalf Arrives

Shelob Attacks

Uruk Hai Army

Attack on Weathertop

Mines of Moria

Battle of Helm's Deep

It sounds to me that Lego is going all out on this LOTR theme by building some pretty awesome sets. I thought that the box pictures were enticing but, now I am really intrigued. Hopefully we will see some official pictures soon. :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker